JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Talents

Talents could also represent experience, skills, and knowledge that could be useful in edifying the Kingdom.  My talents change from one assessment to another.  The last two spiritual gifts assessments I took, administration was high on both lists while the others fluctuated.  I have a variety of abilities that I may or may not use depending on where I am; and the need.  I work in human resources and wanted to do work in the Employment Assistance Ministry at my church.  However, that is not where God wanted me to be or wanted me to do. I came to realize that whatever I did in the church had to be something different from what I did at work (in the world).  What that work is (maybe teaching according to Romans 12:7-8 and leading people) requires spiritual growth and development that I am currently undergoing. 

As far as my Bible knowledge, I study on a daily basis.  I’ve also completed a Biblical Studies certificate program and I am working on a certificate in Christian Ministries.  God said “the earth is His and the fullness thereof” (Psalm 24:1); this means that everything I have belongs to Him and is only on loan to me during my stay here on earth.     

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the talents represent the "gifts" God has given us.  I feel it is hard to see these talents in yourself.  I have had the psychologicals for the ministry.  Mine gifts are  compassion, counseling and teaching.  My spiritual gifts are Evangelism, ministry and counselor.  These are the gifts and fruits God gave me to use to further His Kingdom.    God has called me to the ministry.  I fill a pulpit and I do street ministry.

• 1 year later...

What do you think the "talents" represent? A talent is an amount of money, but the money represents our spiritual gifts, abilities, talents, knowledge, all that we (He--Christ) are in ownership of, and all the people we are in contact with.  Is there someway that I could just say--all?

If you were to take an inventory of your "talents," what would they be?  I don't like to "toot my own horn."  I would rather someone else, who knows me, to answer this question.  If I were to answer this question, I would think there are talents that I don't use to their fullness, or maybe even some that I have attempted to bury like the man in the parable.

What spiritual gifts have you been given?  Mercy.

What abilities do you have?  In this parable, the talents were given out based on the abilities of the individual.  When I really want to do something, I am willing to put/invest my all/drive to see that it gets done.

What Bible knowledge do you have? Again, I don't like to "toot my own horn," but I have some Bible knowledge and continue through study to gain more.

Where has God place you in your community?  Not only being a member of the community, but also the church.

In society? ?

In your profession or industry? Retired.

In what sense do these "belong" to God rather than to you?  "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore honor God with your body." (1 Cor. 6:19-20)