JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Fear and Courage

Q4. Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive?

How are we to deal with fear when we feel it?

What is the relationship of fear to courage?

Why is courage required in leaders and disciples?

Ps 2:11   Serve the Lord with fear  .  .  .  lest you displease Him

Ps 19:9  The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever

Ps 111:10  the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom

Pr 29:25  The fear of man bringeth a snare, but whoever leans on and puts his confidence in the Lord, is safe and set on high

Heb 12:28  . . .  show gratitude and offer to God pleasing service and acceptable worship with reverence and godly fear

Ps 23:4  I will fear no evil for Thou art with me

Is 41:10 Fear not for I am with thee, do not look around you in terror and be dismayed, for I am your God, I will strengthen and harden you to difficulties; yes, I will help you; yes, I will hold you up and retain you with My victorious right hand of rightness and justice.   

Afraid to obey God  could be because there might be a little uncertainty and also it takes courage to take the first step. Once that is done and your eyes are focused on the Lord it is much easier to continue.  The hardest part is the first step.  It could also be the fear of man. That is when we have not surrendered self.  It is so real as the Scripture says, it brings a snare and we cannot go forward and do what God has called us to do.  So true that God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of love, power and a sound mind.  From the above we can see that there is fear and there is fear.  One leads to wisdom and one ensnares us.  The one leading to wisdom also brings courage to be able to fulfill the task allocated to us.

Leaders and disciples who operate in fear of man transfer that fear to others.  If operating in the fear of the Lord it is a total different ballgame, because you then rely on Him to equip you with the necessary wisdom and courage to complete the task, then too it is God using you as a tool and doing the work through you.

Courage is a very necessary trait in a leader, because those that "follow" need to sense that courage for them to be genuine followers and helpers.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m out of synch with this lesson for I do not fear obedience. Rather , I fear that God will not call me to do anything decisive but will leave me withering slowly on the vine. I pray to be set free.

Since I have not been called to do anything challenging, I have little fear about this potential call. When His call comes, and I pray it comes soon (!), I may become afraid. I know, though, that fear precedes courage. Courage pushes beyond fear and exists only when new ground is being taken. As we take ground, what was once fear-inducing becomes familiar and unthreatening. We look back on our pasts and wondered what the big deal was. Only the unknown that lies beyond, in ground that hasn’t yet been conquered, can create the conditions for courage.

Having written this, I’m certain that my current circumstance is God’s will. I’m here by the river Cherith watching the water slowly disappear for a reason – His purposes; my character.

I have found that NOT being called is far more fear-inducing than being called; NOT being in the thick of things is far more fear-inducing than being challenged, threatened or failing.

I have also found that God builds faith in obedient, though unwanted, isolation and solitude.