JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Fear and Courage

Q4.

Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive?

We get these fears of rejection, of failure, of uncertainty, or even of misunderstanding. A sort of anxiety takes over and we seem hardly capable of thinking straight, and land up with real and/or imaginary fears.

How are we to deal with fear when we feel it?

The only way we can deal with fear is by fully trusting God; by absolute surrender. If only we would understand fully Psalm 27:1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive? How are we to deal with fear when we feel it? What is the relationship of fear to courage? Why is courage required in leaders and disciples?

I think the reason I am so afraid is for the same reason Moses was afraid.We don't TOTALLY trust God's promises, we don't trust in his power. In the face of fear our total commitment and the depth of our faith comes into question.

My way of dealing with fear is to pray to the Holy Spirit to give me strength,courage,understanding, and a deeper faith to forge ahead in spite of my fear.

Fear comes from the devil and courage comes from God.

2 Timothy 1:6-9

Wherefore, I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; Who hath saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.

Courage is required and has been required of God's disciples down through the ages.Because many will reject God's word and God's sovereignty, and God's power. As disciples we must be courageous enough to stand up to rejection and fearless enough to forge ahead in the teaching and spreading God's mighty, powerful word!

Q4. Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive? How are we to deal with fear when we feel it? What is the relationship of fear to courage? Why is courage required in leaders and disciples?

We are afraid because we are not sure that we can handle God's decision. We fear what others will think when it comes down to explaining why we made a decision and the only explanation that we have is God.

When we feel fear, we should deal with it through prayer and reading God's Word.

Fear is what happens when your faith falters, courage is what happens when you put on the Whole Armour of God.

Courage is required in leaders and disciples because you will constantly be tried and much of your success will depend on your faith walk.

When God leads our hearts to do someting decisive it may be something that we had shied away from in the past for fear of failure or injury. Despite the fact that it is God calling us forth to carry out His plan it may still be difficult to place one's body or reputation on the front line.

Fear is a very natural instinct and without it we could and would make some very dangerous decisions. Allowing fear to control us, however, is counter-productive. As a fire-fighter (injured in line of duty), and ex-military, i have found that it is important to dicuss your fear openly with Jesus and ask for the strength to overcome fear.

The relationship of fear to courage are like that of spouses. Both are needed in order to create a natural balance. Fear is that emotion that encourages us to keep our guard up while undertaking something outside of our comfort zone, and courage is the ability to undertake this challenge with confidence and strength.

It is necessary to find courage in our leaders and disciples as we look to them for direction, especially in time of need. These people are often time the only barrier between panic and total free-for-all. If they fail to demonstrate a level of courage this will waft to others, resulting in total collapse of a system[/size]

Q4. Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive?

I can only speak for me....in my early walk, it was because of low self esteem, and feeling intimidated by people, and fear of rejection. (But I obeyed and did things afraid) His healing in my life over the years has taken care of those issues. Now,I'm quick to obey, almost always.

With His call to write a book, I was slow to start (Fear of failure. I'm not an author. I've never written more than term papers for school 50 years ago, and letters, therefore I have no idea how to accomplish this task.) I've kept writing for several years. This recent delay was due to what I now believe is an attack of Satan to immobilize me, and fill me with dismay and overwhelm, which I "accepted", then stopped. I work from journals, which can be monumental because there are boxes of them covering the years I'm to write about. It's difficult to relive the shock and terror of my deepest pain and loss, of suddenly losing our prosperous business, then our home, our friends, our church, our dignity....and found ourselves homeless, so it was easy to put the pen down. Then guilt set in and imagined pressure from the Lord, I became anxious and unsettled, confused. Couldn't figure out what exactly I was dealing with. (Didn't recognize this as FEAR, because it was just extreme discomfort and agitation) But God.... through just the first few questions about Moses, helped me sort it out, and put me back on track and writing again. Thank you, Lord!

Feel it, acknowledge that we are afraid, take it to God. Speak to it ("God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of love, of power and a sound mind."), then do it afraid! (my first year of leading a Bible study, I would have to pull over to the side of the road while driving there, afraid I was going to vomit! But I kept following Jesus and His blessing on those years was incredible!) Deliverance was a huge help for me, when the fears escalated into frequent debilitating panic attacks. The change has been dramatic, and no more panic attacks.

What is the relationship of fear to courage?

They are polar opposites! Fear is a God given emotion, and is good in certain situations (to alert us to danger and harm), There are 365 "Do not fear"s in the Bible. Satan uses this natural emotion to stop us from pursuing God and His purposes in our lives. (He caused me to be afraid of God in my early years!!!!) We are commanded to be "bold and courageous", by our God, who is the source of courage. We can be bold and courageous in Him, even though our knees may be shaking.

Why is courage required in leaders and disciples?

Satan is in an all out war against God and His people, and he uses fear to try to defeat us. Leaders are the "point people" who are given responsibility for their ministry and those they're leading. God holds leaders to a higher level of accountability, especially those who teach so they are huge targets for the enemy. Disciples must follow God, and be disciplined in staying focused to study and live out our faith to His glory. In both situations, Satan puts up resistance and obstacles, attacks of all kinds, to stop our forward progress/growth, and it takes courage to stay in the battle!

Edited by JanMary

I fear GOD, because HE controls my life. I must always pray and read the BIBLE, and to I love GOD and JESUS and ST. GEMMA of LUCCA.........

I think fear is often misrepresented in Christian circles. Charisbarak got it right when he said: "We need to see the fear as our reaction to the situation instead of how God can deal with the situation." (My italics.)

Fear is a natural result of our fallen nature. 90% or more of the fear we feel in life has nothing at all to do with Satan. Sure, he'll pump it up with a niggle here and there but the actual fear starts in us. We like to be able to blame bad things on someone else (it's only human after all). Rather than accept that we need to make a decision to allow God to change how we view the world, we point the finger at Satan.

We should look to God for strength in specific situations where we are fearful but maybe we could take that a step further. Maybe we should be thankful for our fear. It forces us to trust God if we want to be who He wants us to be. Courage cannot exist without fear.

Because to be human is to fear and to face down fear is to have courage, all disciples need courage. Regardless of their position in the body of Christ. That is, assuming they want to grow in their relationship with God.

God always takes us to unfamiliar places and therefore we fear to action due to the uncertanities in Gods command, consider Moses case and the many years of God's people in captivity, the reaction of the people, Egyptian leadership is enough for a person to be afraid.

How do we deal with fear; Psalm 34:4; I sought the Lord and he heard me, and delivered me from my all my fears. God has the power to deliver us from all our fears.

When we are fearful, we lose courage to do and perform the tasks ahead of us.

Leaders are the beacon of hope for the followers and therefore every leader/disciple must be courageous.

Fear is listening to a lie. If God has not given us a Spirit of fear where did it come from.

As leaders we set an example for God's people and walk in faith not by sight.

Dealing with fear is understanding who we are in Christ, understanding what He says about it,

Commiting it to prayer and following the testimony of overcomers.

Fear is the enemies plot to keep us from faith. So we must take authority over fear and believe what the Holy Spirit is telling us without reservations. I also feel that it is my own lack of self worth that keeps me from obeying God. Am I worthy? which is what I feel Moses dealt with. Am I capable of being a leader? Courage is required to stand against those feelings and believe that God has given me this assignment he has given me the tools to complete it. B)

I have fear to obey God when he puts on my heart to something decisive because I know that God usually commands me to do things that I may feel uncomfortable with, but the ultimate reason is for my own good and what will glorify god. Living righteously can be a fearful thing sometimes when I have to face certain trials and temptations that may result in a embarrassment situation or circumstance, losing out on certain pleasures, wealth, or human pride in life that may be once my passion for if I obey God. Example - My fear is to share the gospel with everyone other than the people I know, so even God had called me to share gospel with everyone, I am afraid what the other people will think, losing my pride, so I end up disobeying God in this matter. I do believe that fearing something or someone so much can help us to develop courage because we have to overcome this fear, and by overcoming this fear, we have to first have to courage to do so. Leaders and disciples is required to have courage because we are in a spiritual warfare, we need guidance and courage to win, if we continue to live in fear or become cowards, we will easily lose our faith in his word and God himself.

It may be that we are afraid that it is not God that we are hearding and that means we are not use to heard and knowing God voices. This I think was one of moses problem and also that we think we are not worthy of a special assignment from

God.

The way that I deal with my fear is I keep saying that God have not given me a spirit of fear. I keep telling my self this and also that the devil want me to be afraid.

The relationship fear to courage is that it help you to get courage when you are in fear because very time you go through fear your courage will built up.

Courage is require for leader and disciples because it is a lot time they have to go and do a lot for God and we don't have time to be afraid there is so much that God want us to do.

Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive? The reasons are many yet the same; we as Moses did look to our own might; our inadequacies and man instead of the Lord. We look to what we can see be it physical or in perception vise what we cannot see. We say that we walk by faith and not by sight but through thorough examination is that really true.

The reasons all stem from our flesh, however in our case it is worse in two ways. We know more than Moses did about God and also the distractions have magnified. We get these fears of rejection, of failure, of uncertainty, or even of misunderstanding.

We should surrender to the Lord, however most attempt to deal with it on our own, or we avoid it if possible.

What is the relationship of fear to courage? Negative fear, fear deriving from evil comes from the devil; courage to overcome comes from God.

Why is courage required in leaders and disciples?Leader and disciples need courage to face opposition and to make decisions with some uncertainty and risk involved.

Why are we afraid to obey God when He asks us to do something decisive?

I think a lot of times we just don't trust God. He asks us to do something and we don't believe we can do it. Like Moses. Instead of trusting God to do it THROUGH us, we concentrate on all our shortcomings and the road blocks of what is before us. I think this is the number one root of the problem of being afraid to obey. As we grow in trust, then we know we go in HIS power and we are more willing to step out in faith, trusting God to see us through and to move those mountains that "seem" to loom so much in the way.

Dealing with fear takes prayer, remembering God's faithfulness, reading in the Bible of God's promises and developing a relationship with Him so we can see how faithful and true He is. Even if what He asks us to do isn't going exactly like we envisioned or planned, we can confidently go forward seeing where God is leading, seeking HIS will in it. We don't have the complete picture...but HE does!

Fear and courage are opposites. Fear is a negative response to the unknown. Courage is fearless. To go forward with confidence.

Courage is required in leaders and disciples because we do just that....we lead and go out or forward. If a leader is afraid to move forward, to actively live faith in God, then the example set is that there is indeed something to be afraid of and God is not trustworthy to us. Without courage (and that comes from confidently trusting God)our example would be weak and not really show the truth of God's character nor would we demonstrate our trust in Him and that damages how others may see His character through us. Without faith....we can't please God. He loves it when we demonstrate faith. We have to believe we belong to Him and He is FOR us....then we can move forward WITH Him.

Q4. Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive? Because we want to stay in our own comfort zones carrying on with what we are already doing.

How are we to deal with fear when we feel it? Hand our fears to God

What is the relationship of fear to courage? Courage is one response to fear. Without fear there can be no courage.

Why is courage required in leaders and disciples? Because they have to lead into the unknown.

More likely than not, the things God puts on our hearts to perform are things that defy human ability and intellect. Things that are beyond our comfort zones. Things that are basically impossible as far as human ability is concerned. It is because of this that we fear obeying God - along with a fear of failure and or embarrassment.

The best way to deal with fear is to become more familiar with the Word of God - with the promises of God concerning us. We do this through Bible Study - meditating in the Word of God and prayer. These actions result in our faith increasing which in-turn eliminates fear.

16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Romans 10:16-17 (KJV)

14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world. 15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. 16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. 19 We love him, because he first loved us.

1 John 4:14-19 (KJV)

7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

2 Tim 1:7 (KJV)

Fear is the opposite of courage. Courage is a state of mind that results in one pursuing towards their goal in site of the seen or unseen dangers or obstacles - with the attitude of succeeding.

Q4. Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive?

Well, for starters it most likely involves us leaving our comfort zone. Then there's the fear that we'll fail. Doubt also creeps in, in the form of: Are we certain this is from God? What if God doesn't help us enough, or at all? I know these doubts are all from the evil one but they're present nonetheless. Speaking of the devil: When we go forth in God's service we attract the attention of the devil who will try to derail us before we even get started, or wait till we're right in the middle of things and then throw the spanner in.

It's always good to remember that greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world. I always try to remember that God wouldn't call me to do something then not equip me sufficiently for the task. Moses's call is a classic example of how God enabled Moses to overcome his initial fear, voiced in his objections to God's call. One by one, God deals with Moses's fears and reassures him the He is with him.

What is the relationship of fear to courage?

Courage is created by fear. If you don't fear something you don't need courage to overcome it. If we know we can handle a problem with ease we don't need courage to face it. It's when the going gets tough that we need courage to continue in the face of uncertainty and danger.

Why is courage required in leaders and disciples?

We sometimes need to make hard decisions. We sometimes need to make a leap of faith. Scripture tells us we won't just coast along in life. Then there's the whole issue of standing up for our faith. That takes courage.

Q4. Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive? Each of us may have different reasons. Sometimes we simply believe we are inadequate to fulfill a task, at other times it could be fear or a lack of courage. How are we to deal with fear when we feel it? One way to deal with fear is to confess God word just as Paul wrote it to Timothy in 2 Timothy chapter 1 verse 7. It reads as follow For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. What is the relationship of fear to courage? None, they are opposites. Why is courage required in leaders and disciples? One cannot effectively lead without courage, no courage equals no backbone, no guts, no heart. People will not follow a leader that is fearful; as the old saying go "If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. The book of James said it best A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. To be an effective leader you must have mental stability. Amen!

1.Unsure if it is from God or from ourselves, our own thoughts. Unsure how others will react.

2. Pray, pray, pray. God will make himself clear and will strengthen us.

3. Fear is our human response to something we are unsure of. We allow doubt to creep in. Courage comes thru God and by His grace when we allow Him to work thru us.

4. God must be in control for our leadership/discipleship to work for His glory. It is hard for us to face others, hard to speak out.

1.Unsure if it is from God or from ourselves, our own thoughts. Unsure how others will react.

2. Pray, pray, pray. God will make himself clear and will strengthen us.

3. Fear is our human response to something we are unsure of. We allow doubt to creep in. Courage comes thru God and by His grace when we allow Him to work thru us.

4. God must be in control for our leadership/discipleship to work for His glory. It is hard for us to face others, hard to speak out.

We are afraid beacuse the request might make us lose our popularity, fame, our job, our friends or even our benefits. Sometimes we fear being failures because we dont trust God enough to take care of us. I have heard some testimonies from people who had difficult decisions to make and refuse to obey needless to say God kept at them till they give in. When we feel fear we need to pray and trust God. Courage is the absence of fear but courage help us to manage fear. God did not give us a spirit of fear we must always remember that. Leaders and disciples need courage in order to achieve their goals. No one wants to follow someone who is fearful and stands for anything. Leaders should be able to see things that followers do not see.

Our fear to obey is because we do not know the outcome - fear of the unknown. We do not see the big picture. We are not willing to move out of our comfort zones. We need to submit to God. We need to have the living Word dwell richly in us. God has already said that He has not given us a spirit of fear but a spirit of boldness. Fear can sometimes give us the courage to act. We need to be able to channel that fear, through our faith and focus on the Lord Jesus Christ, to spur us on to action. Courage to act and do what is right is important because the road is not smooth. People do not automatically follow us just because we are in positions of authority. Our beliefs and actions will always be challenged. There will always be differing opinions and a "better" way of doing things. However, to believers there is only one way - God's way. Thus we must have the boldness, confidence and courage to act, based on God's way.