JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Pre-Tabernacle Tent of Meeting

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is obvious to observe that Moses could never had stood faithful and firm to lead Yahweh’s people without a regular commitment of time to meet with Yahweh Himself. Moses was dependent on the instruction, wisdom, encouragement, and strengthening of his God. And Moses wanted with all his heart to intimately know God and live his personal life to please God. So he separated himself from the distractions of daily life and people for time with Yahweh in a tent he pitched as a place to meet. Yahweh had made no dwelling place on earth, so He would come down in the pillar of cloud to talk with his friend.

In writing this, I’m thinking of course I want that for myself, too! And I’m being challenged to consider why I do such a poor job of making that happen. Yes, He has a permanent dwelling place within me, but how often do I prepare the time and place to welcome Him to “sit and chat”. How many times have I been guilty of engaging in detached clinical study and missing the voice of my Instructor speak deep within? How much do I really long to hear Him speak to me? How good am I at stepping outside the distractions to focus solely on Him? Why do I let myself get carried away in the busyness of doing God-stuff and forget that what He really wants is the quietness of my resting in Him. The gut-wrenching plea of a profound song from Shane & Shane comes to mind as I am struggling under this conviction…

Holy design

This place in time

That I might seek and find my God, My God

(Chorus) Lord I want to yearn for You

Lord I want to burn with passion

Over You

And only You…

Lord, I want to yearn.

(“Yearn”; based on Acts 17:25-28)

Do I really want to ache with a passion for Him like Moses did? Some things have gotta change.

When you are born again,...GOD SAYS HE WILL NEVER LEAVE NOR FORSAKE YOU...

SO THERE IS NO TIME,WHERE THE PRESENCE OF GOD IS ABSENT IN YOU....

GOD IS ALWAYS IN ME,I AM BORN AGAIN,AND I CONFESS GOD IS WITH ME,..BECAUSE OF WHAT JESUS HAS DONE IN THE CROSS,..HIS PRESENCE IS SEALED BY JESUS BLOOD..AND THAT IS HIS NEW COVENANT...

WE MAY FORGET,OR DISTANCE OUR SELF TO HIM...BUT WHEN YOU ARE COVERED BY JESUS BLOOD,YOU ARE NEVER WITHOUT GOD....

Ramon, thank you so much for this wonderful reminder of the security of God's presence through Christ in us! Yes, yes, yes,as redeemed followers of our Savior we are never without God!! Amen and hallelujah for such a glorious and true promise!

There is a distinction, though, in having His never-leaving presence and actually communing with Him intimately. I think that is what Pastor Ralph is after in the question about spending quality time "seeking God" and what results from that. As a Christian it's not that I've ever lost Him somewhere; it's about whether I'm being driven by a passionate love to know the Father more fully on a personal level or am I content to be a mere acquaintance. To go beyond the superficial requires deliberate action to make the time and pull away from the distractions in order to share my heart with Him and then listen as He shares His heart with me. His presence within me doesn't automatically ensure that on its own, because He never forces Himself on me and I have a joint responsibility to make my full attention available to Him. That's really the only way to most fully gain His insight, direction, comfort, and encouragement as He applies His written Word to my personal life and circumstances. Oh, how desperately I need that. And I'm talkin' to me right here.

Many, many people (who have genuinely believed on Christ as Savior) are rather "sterile" containers as they carry around this presence of God. They are not fertile dwelling places and do not produce abundant fruit in their lives because they keep God at arm's length, never drawing to His heart in the personal relationship that our Father yearns for. When it's like that, we both lose in a personal way! May we seek to know Him far deeper than that, not only for our benefit but to bless His heart as His children long to really know Him and not just about Him. He will use that kind of relationship to make us fruitful for the work of His kingdom, the renown of His name, and the manifestation of His glory in all the earth in ways and degrees we can't even imagine!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

4a)The tent of meeting was a tent placed outside the camp,where his knowledge and greater intimacy with God developed.Hear he received revelations from the Lord and spent time in communion and prayer with the Lord in his tent of meeting.

b)It is called tent of meeting because he talked face to face with God.

C)I need to commit and reserve time to spend longer seeking God on an ongoing basis, to grow my relationship with the Lord,and get my priorities right.d)It would make my ministry more effective,it would develop my dependence on God more, increase my awareness of his love.

• 1 month later...

(Exodus 33:7-11) Why is Moses' pre-tabernacle "tent of meeting" so important in Moses' ministry? HE WAS LEARNING THE WAYS OF GOD.

Why is it called the "tent of meeting"? IT TAUGHT THAT A PLACE SHOULD BE RESERVED FOR MEETING AND LEARNING THE WAYS OF GOD.

What would it take for you to spend longer periods of intimate time seeking God? ALREADY THERE; I HAVE A HUNGER AND A THIRST THAT FOLLOWS ME DAILY. WHILE I DEDICATE THE FIRST FEW HOURS PER DAY, I FIND MYSELF SEEKING HIM ALL DAY LONG IN ALL THAT I ENCOUNTER.

How do you think this would affect your ministry? GREATLY.

• 2 years later...
Q4. (Exodus 33:7-11) Why is Moses pre-tabernacle tent of meeting so important in Moses ministry?

This is a place where Moses separated himself to be with God and to know him intimately. He could then share this with the people for their benefit also.

Why is it called the tent of meeting?

It is a place of meeting between God and Moses.

What would it take for you to spend longer periods of intimate time seeking God?

For me it would take a better organization of time coupled with a disciplined schedule for God only.

How do you think this would affect your ministry? 

I would have the words and heart of God to offer to people who seek for it and for those who need to hear it as a warning for strayed walking and living.

• 2 years later...

Lesson 6: Q4

A. The tent of meeting was so important in Moses ministry because Gods presence dwells there. It's the only place Moses have opportunity to meet with God.

B. It called a tent of meeting because it is a meeting point between Yahweh and Moses.

C. It will take dedication and commitment to spend long period of intimate time with God.

D. This will surely affects the ministry positively, with miracles, signs and wonders, deliverance e.t.c

• 5 years later...

Q4. (Exodus 33:7-11)

Why is Moses' pre-tabernacle "tent of meeting" so important in Moses' ministry?

Why is it called the "tent of meeting"?

What would it take for you to spend longer periods of intimate time seeking God?

How do you think this would affect your ministry?

This is where Moses meets with God and spends time with Him.  The people can see him entering the tent and they can see the Cloud of God's presence moving to the door of the 'tent of meeting'.   When Moses comes out there he has to veil his face because it shines so.  The people know without  a doubt where and with Whom Moses has met.   I think this brings a great respect for Moses from the people.  

It seems to have been in a tent which Moses pitched outside the camp and where he spent time with God. Where he met with God.

• 1 year later...

This is an amazing story. Moses would go outside the city, away from the other residences, to what seems to be an isolated place where he had erected a tent. He took with him one person, a young man. There, he would UNCOVER his face to talk to God.

Moses' uncovered face is unlike that of Elijah who immediately covered his face with his shirt at the mouth of the cave where God spoke with him. Other biblical stories are similar.

So, until the tabernacle was built, Moses was to cover his face before people and uncover it before God. An uncovered face is intimate. It’s almost like undressing before your spouse … something no one else sees but one’s beloved. 

I don’t know why it is called the tent of meeting other than the obvious, that God met Moses there. It was a temporary structure, a tent, which makes sense since this was a temporary time of intimacy before the institutionalization of the tabernacle.

I spend a long time with God daily. My mind often wanders, however, so it’s not as focused as it should be. Much time is sadly wasted. For now, I have a little spot in my home for meeting Him which I do early in the morning. My father just died so I’ll be leaving this residence in a couple weeks – I pray to have a similar place of study and worship. Please pray that the Lord clearly leads me to where He wants me to go.

As an aside, I’ve been designing floor plans for a small cottage and am going to include a special place of prayer and study, a little room set-aside just for Him, if He permits me to build.