JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:2-3) In what sense are we “living letters”? In what way can people “read us”? Why is it so important to be authentic, not phony, in our lives? What happens when people “read” something in you that they admire and mention it to you? How might you respond appropriately?

​Paul is using the imagery of writing a letter of recommendation in these verses. He says that the Corinthians themselves are living proof of Paul's qualifications. In the same way our lives are open books for all to see, to read and to interpret. Jesus said " you will know them by their fruit." We are living letters

Not non living tablets of stone. The ten commandments fixed in stone but jesus' commands are written in our hearts.

I am never sure how to respond. I just say thank you/

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:2-3) In what sense are we “living letters”? In what way can people “read us”? Why is it so important to be authentic, not phony, in our lives? What happens when people “read” something in you that they admire and mention it to you? How might you respond appropriately?

In a sense we are living letters of our authenticity of the living God. We promote Christ and his gospel, not for our profit but for the profit of God, to bring souls into eternal life with Him.

Some people can read us like a book, our demeanor, our love for others, our authority in the word of God is all they need to convince them of our authority in Christ.

It is important we are authentic in our lives and not a phony impression of the followers of Christ. Our dress and actions tell much about us. if we are true followers, then Christ will work through us for the kingdom of god, if we are phony then we work for our own benefit and profit.

If people were to admire something in my life and mention it to me, I would have to admit to them that it is Christ living through me for I have nothing of myself.  

• 8 years later...

All people "glow" their beliefs and character, Christian or not. I've known plenty of secular people who oozed their deepest values as they spoke or acted. Unavoidably. As Christians, we too ooze our deepest values and faith. People look at us and see something -- hopefully, they see Christ reflected by us. 

This goes beyond personality. It's deeper than this. People read danger ... they read kindness. We can try to cover up our "essence" with learned behaviours that are more appealing than the real person underneath, but given time, our true core shows. So, I don't think authenticity is our goal, but rather Christ-likeness. If I'm authentic but a lousy Christian, people will not see Christ in me.

Most secular people have no idea how to interpret our Christian core. They assume it's a personality trait, or ability, not the indwelling Christ. So when they "read" something, they're probably misinterpreting it. This is why it is so important that we TALK/WITNESS as well as live out our faith. Outsiders have to be guided as to how to think about Christ.

Thus, the appropriate response is not merely humility, but a gentle and thoughtful explanation of Christ, not ourselves.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q2. Living Letters