JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

The spirit filling in us demonstrates we are full sons of God because we are no longer slaves and in the spirit we can cry out to our father as our own.  The spirit of God testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.

By crying out to God calling him Abba in aramic meant, one did not have to uses formal words but could uses familiar expressions with God, meaning He is our father and He understands us.

The significance of being heirs of God, means we can come before God like Jesus.  We need not be afraid to come before our father and be on guard always like slaves or step children. 

We are the adopted sons of god, co-heirs with Jesus Christ, sons of God in the same sense that Jesus is God’s son, when like Jesus our aim is to do the will of God.

God the Father has put in us the Spirit of his Son Jesus and the Spirit of God enables us to call God our Father or Abba thus demonstrating the filling of the Spirit in us has made us full sons.

Abba is a term of endearment and shows a close relationship a son has with his Father.

Being heirs of God means we are no longer slaves but we have full rights to everything our Father has . We have rights to the inheritance in the Kingdom and we enjoy every privilege as a son of God.

We are sons in the same sense as Jesus is the son of God as we are called the sons of God once we are adopted in the Kingdom of God. Yes hard to comprehend but if I am in full obdedience to the Father and love my Father like Jesus did I am the son of God.

Q4. (Galatians 4:6-7) How does the Spirit’s filling demonstrate we are full sons? What is the special sense in which the Aramaic word abba is used to speak to one’s father? What is the significance of being heirs of God? Are we sons in the same sense that Jesus was God’s Son?

Paul writes in Romans 8:16-17: "The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs - heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, ..." (NKJ).  When believers cry out to the Father in prayer, Romans 8:15, the Holy Spirit intercedes for them.

The Holy Spirit creates within the believer an awareness of sonship, causing the saint to address God as Father.

"Abba, Father" is a familiar form of address, combining  the Aramiac and Greek words for Father.  No slave could address the head of a family in this fashion; it was reserved for members of the family, and expresses love and confidence.  Note the trinity in this verse - Spirit, Son, and Father in that order.

The believer is no longer a slave, he is not under the law. Now the believer is a son of God.  Since Christ, as God's Son, is the heir of all of God's riches, the Christian is an heir of God through Jesus Christ.  All that God has is his by faith -- by trusting in God.

Q4. (Galatians 4:6-7) How does the Spirit’s filling demonstrate we are full sons? What is the special sense in which the Aramaic word abba is used to speak to one’s father? What is the significance of being heirs of God? Are we sons in the same sense that Jesus was God’s Son?

Paul writes in Romans 8:16-17: "The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs - heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, ..." (NKJ).  When believers cry out to the Father in prayer, Romans 8:15, the Holy Spirit intercedes for them.

The Holy Spirit creates within the believer an awareness of sonship, causing the saint to address God as Father.

"Abba, Father" is a familiar form of address, combining  the Aramiac and Greek words for Father.  No slave could address the head of a family in this fashion; it was reserved for members of the family, and expresses love and confidence.  Note the trinity in this verse - Spirit, Son, and Father in that order.

The believer is no longer a slave, he is not under the law. Now the believer is a son of God.  Since Christ, as God's Son, is the heir of all of God's riches, the Christian is an heir of God through Jesus Christ.  All that God has is his by faith -- by trusting in God.

• 1 year later...

We have inherited the Spirit of God. God placed his spirit into our hearts and souls so that we are known as his. We are one with him in heaven. We are to know him on a personal level. He is our Abba. Not our Father but Abba. We are also one with Jesus. He has accepted us as brothers and sisters into his inner circle. He has made a special place for us in heaven.

• 8 months later...

The Spirit filling us demonstrates we are son's of God, because his spirit testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.

The Aramaic word "abba" was used in a special sense to relate to one's father.

The significance of being heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ is that all the Father gives to Jesus is also ours.

Jesus is God's son, he redeemed us from the curse of sin by giving his life for us. Now that he has paid for our redemption we become a brother and sister to Christ, we are now heirs with him, in all that God has.  

• 1 year later...

Q4. (Galatians 4:6-7) How does the Spirit's filling demonstrate we are full sons? What is the special sense in which the Aramaic word abba is used to speak to one's father? What is the significance of being heirs of God? Are we sons in the same sense that Jesus was God's Son?

The Spirit's filling was sent by God to tell us we are son's. The term abba was initially a term of endearment for father. Being an heir of God means we are heirs of the kingdom. We are sons in the same sense of inheritance as Jesus.

• 3 months later...

SPIRIT DEMONSTRATE FULL SONS: The Holy Spirit lives in our hearts bringing the character of Christ; we do not experience Christ's redemption apart from receiving His Spirit (seeing Him strengthening, helping, indwelling role); giving us assurance of experiencing the reality of being in God's family; assurance that we have everything we need to be fully saved (salvation)

SPECIAL SENSE OF ABBA USED: personal, endearing term - Spirit cries out on our behalf and we cry abba with the Spirit; fearlessness of a child with honor of a respectful son;; approach God with the language of endearment and love; reverent, tender, affectionate; evidence of adoption and treatment like a son;  the most basic indication of our adoption is that we have a new form of address for God; through faith in Jesus, we have become sons crying as heirs of God

SIGNIFICANCE OF BEING A HEIR: New relationship through faith alone; participation in and union with Christ for every believer by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit; our relationship have changed from servant (with no hope of inheritance) to sons; as sons we become heirs; how the sonship of Christians derive from the Sonship of Christ

SENSE AS JESUS WAS GOD'S SON: Jesus is uniquely and exclusively the Son of God, equal with the Father from all eternity, unrivaled by any creatures in His essential deity; His divine person and eternal deity of Jesus Christ as it relates to His saving work in redemption and regeneration

• 4 years later...

Because we have put on Christ, we have that assurance in our hearts and minds that we have peace with God.  We mortify ourselves each day because we have the mind of Christ.   The sarx lifestyle, the world, the flesh and the devil--are past ! We have new desires, we have new goals--all centered on Christ.  The life of St.Augustine and St Mary of Egypt are prime examples of being truly born again.  They had struggles indeed to live Holy but were steadfast to live in the Holy Spirit.

Because we have put on Christ, we have that assurance in our hearts and minds that we have peace with God.  We mortify ourselves each day because we have the mind of Christ.   The sarx lifestyle, the world, the flesh and the devil--are past ! We have new desires, we have new goals--all centered on Christ.  The life of St.Augustine and St Mary of Egypt are prime examples of being truly born again.  They had struggles indeed to live Holy but were steadfast to live in the Holy Spirit.

The word 'Abba' was a word of affectionate nature when used to refer to God.  This kind of usage was foreign to the common Jew during the time of Christ.  We have the down payment here on earth: we have treasure in heaven. We have now the richest gifts: the Holy Trinity indwelling us, we are Temples of the Holy Spirit  To get to God we don't have to go through the Judaic laws and the Levitical system.  

Our status as sons of God is different from Christ's status as the Son of God.  We inherited original sin, Christ was sinless and was always the Son of God. The Spirit of God's firstborn Son is given to the true sons of God.  We have yearnings for God that are deepened; we press on nearer to God.

• 4 weeks later...

Our filling by the Holy Spirit is something non-Christians cannot have, thus it sets us apart from the world and is proof that we're of Him. What's interesting to me is that there are no gradations of filling, as if some Christians are more full of Spirit than others: God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, implies that we all have the Spirit, that He expands to fill the space in our hearts, so to speak. Another sign we are His is that we suffer -- we share in His sufferings.

I have never used the affectionate term, "Abba," in prayer or conversation. It seems too familiar and even borderline disrespectful. God is God ... He merits more honour than this. I am more inclined to remove my shoes and shield my face with my sweater than refer to God as "Abba."  Furthermore, I do not think of myself as a child of God in the same way Jesus was the Son of God. His Sonship is substantially different than mine, though I can't explain this.

What did Christ inherit that I, too, will inherit? I don't see how my inheritance is co-equal with that of Christ. I'm sorry. I'm failing at these questions.