JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Fruit of the Spirit

Love is the first and primary fruit of the Holy Spirit, but joy and peace are inseparable from love. Why can’t joy and peace exist apart from love – love for God and love for our neighbors?

Joy and peace cannot exist apart from love for God or our neighbors because they all work together. It is love that initates joy and peace.

Joy and peace can't exist apart from love because both are the result of believing that God actually loves us.

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Love is the first and primary fruit of the Holy Spirit, but joy and peace are inseparable from love. Why can't joy and peace exist apart from love -- love for God and love for our neighbors?

Notice the word fruit is singular. Fruit does not come from our own efforts, but grows naturally. (out of trust). “A tree is judged by its fruit.” This is what Yahushua said. The most convincing evidence of a human whom is filled with the Spirit of the Son of God is a life of a tree (human being) that bears the fruit of the Spirit that lives with-in. A balanced life of a believer is one that bears the fruit of the Spirit combined with the gifts of the Spirit that are operation, glorifying and bringing great honor to the Lord God Almighty. Nothing written in the law stands against the balanced life of the believer who bears the fruit and gifts of the Spirit. Why can't joy and peace exist apart from love ? Because God is love. Anyone who doesn’t love , doesn’t know God. If we know God then His love dwells in us.

• 1 month later...

It is in loving our God and neighbour, that peace and joy come. We can have peace because we give all our cares to God, and then in joy watch Him work out our problems. For example, if I am striving to accomplish my salvation, or my sanctification on my own, peace and joy will flee. If I find myself thinking I can accomplish the love of God to my neighbour, without God' love poured into my heart, I will be constantly frustrated! However if I rest in the love of Christ, and His care for me, trusting Him with my insufficiency,joy and peace naturally follow.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Jesus in Matt 22:36-40, love for God and love for our neighbors are the basis for all other teachings of the law and the prophets. Therefore, we cannot have joy or peace unless we first commit to loving God and others. In addition, we cannot truly love God and others unless we have God’s Spirit within us. True love (1 Cor 13) includes all the characteristics of the Fruit of the Spirit.

• 5 months later...

1a)True joy and peace-(being right with God), only comes through knowing God and loving him, loving others and knowing he loves us. Because of this, we can trust him at all times,he is faithful, He will keep us in perfect peace, as we continue to walk by the Spirit, trusting Him at all times not dependent on circumstances.This brings the joy of the Lord and peace in our hearts. Without love for God there would be no peace and definitely know joy, these are fruits of Holy Spirit from loving God and loving others as much as we love ourselves.

• 7 months later...

When we love, we have peace and the joy.  We cannot have peace of mind when we dislike or hate someone, we will be constantly under stress and anger and this will also steal away our joy.  To love God and our neighbor is a command from God.  When we are obedient to God we are close to him and he fills us with His Spirit and gradually we show all the fruits of the spirit in our life.

Q1. (Galatians 5:22a) Love is the first and primary fruit of the Holy Spirit, but joy and peace are inseparable from love. Why can’t joy and peace exist apart from love – love for God and love for our neighbors?

Simply put, experiencing the love of God and its indwelting presence within the believer creates joy and peace.   Joy and peace are a natural by-product of the love relationship between God and the believer.  They are intertwined and cannot be separated. 

The love of God creates a desire, Holy Spirit driven, to love our neighbors and to express our faith and service to God by ministering and blessing those around us as God has blessed us.  Being salt and light in this dark world create joy and peace within us. 

Q1. (Galatians 5:22a) Love is the first and primary fruit of the Holy Spirit, but joy and peace are inseparable from love. Why can’t joy and peace exist apart from love – love for God and love for our neighbors? 

Simply put, experiencing the love of God and its indwelling presence within the believer creates joy and peace.   Joy and peace are a natural by-product of the love relationship between God and the believer.  They are intertwined and cannot be separated. 

The love of God creates a desire, Holy Spirit driven, to love our neighbors and to express our faith and service to God by ministering and blessing those around us as God has blessed us.  Being salt and light in this dark world create joy and peace within us. 

• 1 year later...

A person cannot have peace or joy in their hearts if there is no love. Hate will not allow a person to see good in anything. It actually blinds them to everything around them. It causes them to search for all this is wrong. They will search for every reason to criticize everything and everyone. They do not allow God's light to shine in them. Only love can bring peace and joy.

• 8 months later...

Joy and peace can not exist apart from the love God has for us, because of this love the Holy Spirit fills us with his joy and the Holy Spirit brings into us inner peace. The Holy Spirit assures us of peace with God and joy comes from the experience of goodness from God himself.

Love for God and our neighbor comes by agape love, the love of God and our neighbors, there is no law against these.

Agape love is unconditional, unselfish and is a sacrificial love.  

• 1 year later...

Love is listed first because it is the foundation of the others graces - it is evidence  of self-sacrificing as demonstrated as God sent His Son (love shown by Jesus) this love and gift of God shows our love to God and men

are habits of mind finding its source in God; it is the characteristic of the Christian life from God's love and mercy

Joy can exist in times of unhappiness shown by the love of God; it governs our attitude and behavior providing assurance and confidence; it is the love of God in our hearts; it is based on understanding that this is the gift of God and love as the basis for joy with satisfactions

Peace is also the gift of Christ that defies human understanding; we have peace when we trust sovereignty even in adverse circumstances; it is the result of reconciliation with God; together with joy we don't look at the events apart from the love of God and it is seen by others; peace and joy feeds off of the virtue of love; with love we can see love in action providing the stability of  joy and peace, regardless of the world's standard for self-satisfactions; but we acknowledge that it is God's love for us that makes the difference in our lives; it keeps us when trouble comes; that  we believe that love conquers superficial  joy and of thinking peace is just when there is no conflict; it brings things up to highest level of wholeness in our spiritual life

• 4 years later...

Paul was stressing the importance of a well rounded Christsin character that is complete.   The love of God is produced in the heart of the believer by the Holy Spirit; this agape love is the chief ingredient in the atonement for sin (Romans 5:5; Galatians 5:22).

Those believers who have this love from on high cannot help but have joy and peace.  This is true assurance!   We have here the work of sanctifying grace.  This is borne out in Apostle John's Gospel and letters. We have tranquility of mind based on consciousness of a right relation to God.  We can come into the Holies of Holiest because Christ Jesus is our High Priest in the order of Melchizedek.

• 4 weeks later...