JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Doing Good

I can speak from my own experience of needing to trust God will indeed reward those who do not give up. I have a small home based business to raise money to support Gospel for Asia and also for Voice of the Martyrs. These are monthly payments taken directly from my bank account. Many times I do not have enough sales to cover these withdrawals. I get discouraged and feel like giving up altogether. Yet God has promised to supply my needs and I need to trust God that I will reap a harvest, if I do not give up. Please pray for Gods' blessings on this work!

We must begin with believers because we are part of the body of Christ. If our physical body is weak we can accomplish very litle, we will wear out quickly, In the same way we must have a strong church body,that cares for one another, helping the weak and bringing healing wherever it is needed. As the world sees this, it will be a witnessof our love for one another.

• 5 months later...

3a)Weary when lose energy,motivation,if we don’t reap, if we lose trust,when we seek glory&are not praised for our work

B)Paul says at the proper time, we will reap harvest, so not to give up,God will reward our efforts to do good,meeting others needs, with eternal life.

c)Our first responsibility is to do good to help,encourage&support needs of our church spiritual family,then if still have resources to, do good to help non-christians& others.

• 7 months later...

We tend to become weary sometimes by living our faith because we don't believe what Paul says, that "A man reaps what he sows" (6:7b).   Some times we seek to be rewarded materially for the good we do and do not see certain things which God has blessed us with like good health, peace and joy. 

Paul reminds us that there is a reward! At the proper time, the time God has chosen, Christ will come and reward us. We'll see the fruition of all the promises of God.

We're to do good to all around us, but especially to our Christian family. This isn't selfishness, but our first responsibility. Family members have a responsibility first to one another, to meet each other's needs.  When our spiritual family is free from burdens then we can reach out to more people outside with the good news of Christ.

We become weary living out our faith because we are impatient when we dont see the result at our time,we doubt the goodness of God and we yearn more for our blessings than have Christ formed in us.

The promise Paul gives us is we will reap a good harvest if we do not give up.

We should do good with our spiritual family first because they are with us and they become our brothers and sisters in Christ and e ought to love them as did Christ for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Galatians 6:9-10) Why do we tend to become weary living out our faith? What promise does Paul give us in 6:9 to forestall this weariness? Why should our “doing good” begin with our spiritual family, not with the non-Christians?

The behavior of people can cause one to become weary in living out their faith. Paul encourages believers throughout the ages not to give up in doing what is good because if we continue we will in time reap God's blessings. 

Our brothers and sisters in Christ are those we are going to spend eternity with.  Jesus said to His disciples to love one another and John instructions us to love the brethren.  We have a tender affection for our fellow sojourners in Christ.

We minister to world around us out of love for God and people and as a witness for Jesus Christ.  We minister as Jesus taught by word and deed. 

Q3. (Galatians 6:9-10) Why do we tend to become weary living out our faith? What promise does Paul give us in 6:9 to forestall this weariness? Why should our “doing good” begin with our spiritual family, not with the non-Christians?

The behavior of people can cause one to become weary in living out their faith. Paul encourages believers throughout the ages not to give up in doing what is good because if we continue we will in time reap God's blessings. 

Our brothers and sisters in Christ are those we are going to spend eternity with.  Jesus said to His disciples to love one another and John instructions us to love the brethren.  We have a tender affection for our fellow sojourners in Christ.

We minister to world around us out of love for God and people and as a witness for Jesus Christ.  We minister as Jesus taught by word and deed. 

• 1 year later...

I feel that we become weary because we try to live according to the way of Christ. We see those around us having so much more than us. We wonder if it is all worth it. Paul promises us that God will bless us and that we are not alone in our feelings. We need to take care of those that we love because we share the same Father and Brother. Family takes care of family.

• 8 months later...

Galatians 6:9-10, we tend to become weary living out our faith because we do not see the results of our efforts or we just become exhausted for our efforts.

Paul tells us not to forestall in our weariness because those who persist in doing good seek glory, honor and immorality, for the Lord will give them eternal life.

Doing good to our spiritual family should come first because we are all family in Christ, we are to help one another. Then we may help non-believers. 

• 1 year later...

BECOMING WEARY LIVING OUT OUR FAITH: lack of support, opposition; so much to be done; becoming discouraged; many calls on their time and resources; ingratitude of others; exhausted; obstacles; embarrassments; suffering

PROMISE TO FORESTALL: trusting God; strength we find in the Spirit, relief when other Christians help to bear burden; in due time will reap a harvest of goodness; proper timing of God (due time); eternal reward; follow Holy Spirit's guidance; staying alert; when he dies will awaken in the resurrection with renovated powers;  inspired by the Spirit; obedient and growing relationship with God (being part of the body of Christ); knowing that results take time; the reaping will come in part in this life and in full in the life to come; the day of reaping is coming; harvest of present blessings; the fulfillment of God's promises at Christ's second coming; 

DOING GOOD BEGINNING WITH SPIRITUAL FAMILY: believers to have the priority of benevolence; family needs met first who belong to the family of believers (all related); this family refers to all who have become God's children by believing in Christ; responsibility to the community; bound to family by ties (peculiar claim and more closer); Christians distinguished primarily by believing the gospel

• 4 years later...

We get weary at times when we go through times of physical pain, family problems and dissapointments.  Just like in the epistle to the Hebrews, we are exhorted to look unto Christ as the High Priest in the order of Melchizedek;  He is truly better than Moses,Aaron and better than the Law of Moses.

We continue to look for opportunities to do good.  Not to give into apathy, but with God's grace, we March on --we continually move on with prudence and fortitude.  The Galatians that fell under the spell of the Judaizers-needed the loving and consistent care of the true Bible believers.   Those who fell from grace needed to be restored  back to the true faith and to acknowledge that faith in Cbrist Jesus, was their only remedy.

• 3 weeks later...

This question pulls at my heartstrings. We weary because we're tired ... tired of endlessly waiting as the months and years tick by, tired of not seeing results after years of prayer, tired at the meaninglessness and monotony of what we are called to do. If God would only give us His schedule so we could count off the days! Sometimes even death seems too slow.

We want to reap a harvest in this life as well as the next. The "proper time" seems like never when we're slogging away unsuccessfully. The invisibility of His work tests our faith and makes us wonder if we've been forgotten, or worse yet, pushed aside.

I do believe we should prioritize other Christians, perhaps over our own families if they are not Christian or as lukewarm. I also believe that in the near future, life is about to get rough for Christians politically and socially, so it's good that we spend our primary effort helping each other, and then, those outside the fold. Always evangelize, though.