JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Listening to the Spirit

When we listen carefully to God's voice, we can fulfill his desires for us.

Our instinctive way to discern is usually visual...summing someone up on the outside.  What they look like, sound like, how they are dressed, etc. 

God wants us to discern the heart, and put away what we see on the outside.  We have to look inside to see the heart and hear the heart.

We learn to listen to the Spirit by listening over and over again to the soft, still voice.  Learning to hear it above all else

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1 Samuel 16:3-12) How does this story teach us the importance of listening carefully to God’s voice? What is our instinctive way of discerning? How is God teaching us to discern? How do we learn to listen to the Spirit?

Just as Samuel did not listen closely enough to God when he was choosing Saul as king so here also is Samuel begins to think and to follow his own instructions- to look at the outside of the young men rather than the heart so we also tend to follow our own instincts rather than to put our trust completely and wholly in the hands of God.

We as Samuel judge people in situations by their outward appearance instead of the innermost heart of the situation and do not depend on God then evil comes into the world.

We can learn to discern the holy spirit of God through prayer comma contemplation and study.

• 1 month later...

What God says, may not always we think is best or right.  Through having a relationship with him like Samuel did, we can challenge our own views and thinking to ensure it lines up to God’s Word and His will.  Samuel didn’t always get it right, but God helped him - told him when he was wrong and which way to go. You only get that level of insight through regular communication with God.

Instinctively, we go with our ‘gut’. But we should really be tuned into the frequency of God and follow His voice.  Here, God is teaching us how things ‘look’ isn’t necessarily how they ‘seem’. There’s a reason it was David over the others, he didn’t look right but he was the chosen one.  We really need to trust God and build up that relationship with him that navigates us through right and wrong. We should talk to Him more - He’s our friend. Consult Him first, rather than others.  He’s our friend AND Father.  LISTEN - wait, and listen. Don’t bulldoze ahead. Be prayerful, fast and subject yourself to the Voice of God.

• 1 year later...

In response to the forum member who said that they said that they found it difficult to understand or comprehend of a G-d who rejects, I will say that, in reference specifically to Saul, G-d rejected him as king over Israel, but I wouldn’t draw the conclusion that G-d had rejected Saul as a person in an ultimate sense. 

• 8 months later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 16:3-12) How does this story teach us the importance of listening carefully to God's voice? It shows that we can only see through human eyes which does not reveal the heart. It teaches us to be obedient to God and listen to Him because we will allow "self" to make the wrong decision. Remember God is all knowing.

What is our instinctive way of discerning?  We look on outer appearance

How is God teaching us to discern? Showing that it is the heart He searches and not the outer appearance.

How do we learn to listen to the Spirit? Study, pray, and listen for that small still voice.

• 5 months later...

This passage of scripture is teaching us the importance of discerning the right way.  First of all, we shouldn't look to outward appearance to validate the call of God on someone's life.  We should instead look to their heart condition and the fruit that is evident in their life.  We should never attempt to disqualify someone or ourselves from being used by God because we don't feel good enough because it is so much more about the attitude of the heart and the fruit we bear.  

• 4 months later...

Shows we can easily get it wrong. Samuel saw Eliab and had an instinctive "gut" feeling that "Surely, this is the Lords chosen one"...and he was wrong. In society we are taught so much to trust our gut, not to stop and wait for the Lords confirmation. I think Samuel is blessed and it almost feels like he has such an advantage over us because he can hear Gods voice so clearly and quickly that he didn't hold on to his gut feeling for too long!! God clearly pointed out that it was David.

We go by outside appearance of base decisions on our own understandings of what we think God would want and then we just do. Rarely do I take the time to listen and confirm with God. 

I think just bringing into our awareness that we need to ask him for a confirmation is huge. We don't like to wait and instantly want to move on to the next item or purpose of our business, we don't bother to ask anything. 

I think we have to pose our question to God and learn how he speaks to us...purposefully look for his answer.

• 1 month later...

What to do?

Decisions, etc. Sometimes I am asked to pray for healing or asked what to do in a difficult situation. Making sure you are in fellowship with the Father and then believing that He will respond is key. Jesus kneeling down and writing in the sand was waiting for the Father to give the best answer possible. We have the mind of Christ.

• 7 months later...

1. It is important  to have attentive  listening  ear to the voice of God , so that we don't  miss His instructions and important  things that God convey to us.

2.Our instinctive ways of listening.  It is when we listen to what our natural minds telling us without and do accord  to our own thinking  without recognising  the voice of God

3.How is God teaching us to discern?

God teach us to discern through His word   studying the scriptures , through prayer .

4.Spending time with Him such that we are able to hear when He speak , and be sure it is Him speakin7 to us.

• 6 months later...

Listening patiently is always a problem for me. I used to anticipate and charge ahead of what I consider the correct answer but as I'm getting older I'm finding it a little easier for me. But I still have to stop and remember that God is in control and ask him to reveal His will.  Praying for guidance  and reading His Holy Word is the 1st step then being quiet and receptive to His answer. We have to listen! For years I have struggled to know when God is speaking to me; debating if I really understand what I feel is His answer or whether I have misunderstood. However I have made strides in my walk (getting into the meat) with devotions, prayer, seeking and communing with the Lord and even watching specifically my present and past Godly pastors teaching and preaching on the internet. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 16:3-12)

How does this story teach us the importance of listening carefully to God's voice?

God sees and is aware of everything that we are not aware of  (that which is hidden) God sees the heart.

What is our instinctive way of discerning?

We discern by what we see.  What will be pleasing to man.

How is God teaching us to discern?

By waiting on His promptings. Not necessarily by trying to please man.

How do we learn to listen to the Spirit?

By spending time with the Lord in prayer and reading His Word.  By acting on His Word, i.e. by doing what He instructs us to do.  

How does this story teach us the importance of listening carefully to God’s voice?   We can’t rely on our own thoughts - they are instinctively miles away from God’s.  God’s kingdom is an ‘upside down’ kingdom.  His values are not the world’s.   We will get it wrong without him ( as per Saul).

What is our instinctive way of discerning?  Culture has infiltrated us. It’s difficult because we are told to be in the world but not of it which is tricky. 
I think this is how it was for the Israelites in Babylon.  Most of those in exile became infused with the culture.   We have to be careful not to discern what we think God is saying through our own cultural lens..

How is God teaching us to discern?  I think if I want to discern God’s voice then I’m going to need to be less singularly focussed on achieving my agenda for the day.  If I am too single minded there won’t be opportunities for God to intervene, and I’ll never have the space in the day to hear him.  I need to go slower and not be on automatic - I need to deliberately listen our, and indeed ask.

How do we learn to listen to the Spirit?  - as above - slow down , listen out, ask.  Wait on the HS.

• 1 month later...

We see previously how Saul did not carefully hear and follow the Lord's voice (spoken through Samuel). In contrast, Samuel has thoughts and opinions but he is also listening carefully for the voice of the Spirit and obeying God's instructions. 

Our instinct is to judge from outward appearance. God is teaching us to discern by His leading and His criteria to look at the heart of a person rather than the outward appearance. Grow mature in the Lord and seek Him in relational prayer so that we might be still before Him and listen for His voice. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/26/2012 at 12:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (1 Samuel 16:3-12) How does this story teach us the importance of listening carefully to God’s voice? What is our instinctive way of discerning? How is God teaching us to discern? How do we learn to listen to the Spirit?

I really like this question because listening to God is what I struggle with constantly. I think for me - it's discerning what's from God and what is merely thought. Reading other's posts about how they learn to hear God reveals to me that I spend too much time on social media and not In my word. spending time with God reading and meditating on his word will allow me to know God on a deeper level - that way I may know what God's will is for me when I get to the appointed place he has for me. For me - I instinctively always want a sign from God, I want to hear him, I want him to talk to me as if He is a physical being. I'm the type of Christian to beg on my knees for a sign from God and ask him to talk to me through the first thing I read when I open my bible - it's sad thinking about it now. God is teaching us to discern with the heart, by not judging on voice and appearance, but rather the heart.