JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Listening to the Spirit

This story teaches us the importance of listening carefully to God’s voice because we don’t really know what God wants us to do. We would do things on what we know and not what God’s wishes are. Our instinctive way of discerning is to look at the physical and not look at the inward part of the person.

We learn to listen to the Spirit by praying to God and reading the bible and then making our decisions.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A. Many choices in life, some appear perfect to us, but only Gods choice is perfect. We must wait, listen, and pray for guidance.

B. By looks, actions, and words.

C. Thru the Bible and stories like this. He puts us in the path of people who might not be pretty or handsome or rich or famous, but have the love of God shinning out of them. They know God, and we can tell this by their words and actions. Look beyond external appearances.

D. Quiet our racing minds. Quit our planning and figuring things out. Fill our lives with Gods peace.

We will never be able to actively listen unless we do so with a spiritual ear and not a natural ear.

The flesh can always cloud judgement. Sight determines hearing.

So natural eyes cannot discern the things of the Spirit. We need spiritual sight.

One has to train ones ear to listen as there are many voices. Samuel was not accostomed to the voice of God but only tothe voice of Eli. That is why he kept going to Eli to enquire.

The steps of a man are ordered by God. So we have to rely on Him fr forward movement

Q2. (1 Samuel 16:3-12) How does this story teach us the importance of listening carefully to God’s voice? What is our instinctive way of discerning? How is God teaching us to discern? How do we learn to listen to the Spirit?

When we rely on our own instincts or knowledge we suffer the consequences of failure and mistakes.

From our own personal perspective.

The work of the Holy Spirit and to listen to Him.

One way is through our mistakes and also to read the Word, pray and ask for quidance from God.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

1.WE AS HUMANS TRY TO DO THINGS OUR WAY. THIS TELLS ME THIS STORY IS TELLING US TO PRAY AND LISTEN FOR THE HOLY SPIRINT TO LEAD AND GUIDE US.

2.WE DISCERN BY READING GOD'S WORD PRAYING AND IN SOME CASES ASK OTHER BELIVERS TO HELP. I PONDER AND PRAY AND GET MY ANSWERS. GOD WILL TELL US IF WE LISTEN FOR HIM TO SPEAK.

3. GODS TEACHING COMES TO US BY READING AND STUDING HIS WORD. PRAYING WITH OUT CEASING. THE BEST WAY TO LEARN IS GODS WORD. READ DAILY AND PRAY DAILY.

4.READING HIS WORD. I HAVE READ HIS WORD COULD NOT UNDERSTAND A SCRIPTURE AND ASK GOD TO DISCERN TO ME.

SO MUCH COME TO ME . MY HEAD WAS FILLED MEANING OF THAT SCRIPTURE. TRY IT AND LISTEN TO WHAT THE LORD TELLS YOU. AND HE WILL TELL YOU.

Obviously, if Samuel had not listened to God, his first choice would not have been the youngest, and probably the smallest, of Jesse’s sons to be a future king. He would have used his limited perception to select that ruler.

I think God teaches us by letting us fail many times and have hardships, waiting for us to start leaning on Him. He is VERY patient because, we try and try again to do things our way.

Listening to the Sprit is really hard because sometimes, His voice is clear, and other times comes as a surprise when we least expect it. Most of the time, we have to be patient and pray and BE STILL!

It teaches us to listen to God so we do exactly what He wants us to do the way He wants us to do it.

We have to be mindful that God has gone before us and has prepared the way in whatever He has us to do.

Our way is to try and second guess God and throw a little of our own thoughts in there.

He is teaching us to discern by adhering to what He says and doing it exactly the way He says, no more, no less. Exactly.

We listen to the spirit with our hearts, not with our own thoughts. To be still and listen is how we should do it.

How do we learn to listen to the Spirit?

Prayer, read and study the Bible. Sounds simple enough, but we must be tuned in, plugged in to listening for the Holy Spirit talking to us. We have to be conscious of the fact that the Holy Spirit is with us and could talk to us at any time. Patience. Be receptive to the Holy Spirit, open your heart and head door wide. Follow what the Holy Spirit has said to you. Trust-go forward and act upon what you have heard. If things aren't working right go back to the Holy Spirit and talk some more. Remember Gideon, from the Old Testament, who tested the God speaking to him and ask God to make a blanket dry after the dew in the morning but leave the grass wet. He told God if he did that then he knew that what God had told him was indeed from God.

We need to be discerning and follow the Lord's leading. Instinctively, we tend to judge matters looking on the outside--God chooses by looking on the heart. God puts us in circumstances where we need to rely on Him so we can be discerning. We need to be in fellowship with Him to do this--rely on Him totally. We listen to the Spirit by being in His Word & saturating ourselves with it and praying for that leading & discernment.

I think this passage teaches me a great lesson on diligently seeking the Lord's direction and carefully listening to His voice beyond anything human wisdom would teach me. For me, it is easy to miss His voice because I listen to my own "wisdom" more quickly than I am inclined to pause and listen to the Lord. I think I have too high of an opinion of my own "common sense."

Because of the fast pace of life (and admittingly, some of that is due to my own decisions) I am all too often looking for the quick answer to questions rather than taking the time to go into the prayer closet, humbly present the situation to the Lord, and then through prayer, Bible Study, and silence listen for HIs direction.

I think another mistake that I make is to first seek "wisdom" of others before seeking God's wisdom. While it is critically important to hear what God is saying through His church it is more important to see Him first.

My instinctive way of discerning is to look at a situation, problem, question, opportunity, etc...then think about which way seems right to me...then in some cases to check with fellow believers to make sure MY answer makes sense. There's not a lot of God in that. One of the things that my job requires is to identify and engage leaders. I am often quick to, as Samuel did, look on the outside when trying to identify leaders but I need to seek the Lord's direction and His identification of the hearts of leaders.

I have a good example on how to learn how to listen to the Spirit. Practice, practice, practice. My daughter has played competitive soccer for the same coach for six years. Week in and week out of practices and games and coaching. She now plays for a different coach but her former coach often attends her games. He can simpy make a comment from the stands in the middle of the chaos of a game and she will turn and face him from the field because she knows his voice. As Jesus said, "my sheep know my voice, and they follow me."

Practice - spend time in prayer.

Practice - spend time reading the Word.

Practice - spend time memorizing the Word.

Practice - spend time meditating on the Word.

Practice - spend time discussing the Word with other believers.

Practice....

• 2 weeks later...

This story teaches us that our choices are not always God's choices. By disobeying God's instructions and doing what he wanted to do, Saul ended up losing his kingdom.

Our instinctive way of discerning is to spend time in God's Word and in prayer,as well as listening to Godly counsel.

God is teaching us to discern through the Bible and from spending time in prayer.

We learn to listen to the Spirit by quieting our hearts and by not allowing outside distractions to interfer. ^_^

Q2. (1 Samuel 16:3-12) How does this story teach us the importance of listening carefully to God’s voice? What is our instinctive way of discerning? How is God teaching us to discern? How do we learn to listen to the Spirit?

Listening to God's voice in this world is making a choice. God gave us choices and we must get quite in our lives stop trying to think and listen. Instinctively we think we can listen with all the noise of the world. Get quite, read God's word, pray, and listen.

• 2 weeks later...

How does this story teach us the importance of listening carefully to God’s voice? It is very important to listen to God's voice (and make sure it is really God's voice), because when we listen to God's voice and we act as Samuel did we're bound to make ZERO mistakes.

What is our instinctive way of discerning? through the Holy Spirit

How is God teaching us to discern? As long as we walk the God way instead of my way, the Holy Spirit will give us the discernment when God is not pleased with what we're doing.

How do we learn to listen to the Spirit? By walking in the Spirit. Hebrews 4:12 NKJ For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

• 2 weeks later...

How does this story teach us the importance of listening carefully to God’s voice? What is our instinctive way of discerning? How is God teaching us to discern? How do we learn to listen to the Spirit?

a. The Lord does not see as we mortal see; we tend to look at the outward appearance of a person, but the Lord looks at a person's heart. So we need to listen carefully to God's voice.

b. We usually judge a person on his/her outward appearance (physical sight and social experiences), so it is easy to be

wrong about a person when it comes to spiritual things.

c. We need spiritual sight and discernment, so we can see the heart of a person.

d. We should pray, study God's word and listen to what we hear from God.

• 3 weeks later...

So many times the inner confirmation of God is that still quiet voice of the Spirit. It is easy to miss if we’re not deliberately set on listening for it. Our instinct is to discern by what we can see in the circumstances, what we know from personal experience, what we think is wise, what we reason is logical, what we feel is best, what we want with all our hearts.

Today, we have such easy access to God’s written Word that we often take it for granted. In that Word, He has revealed divine knowledge and holy wisdom. He has given us glimpses of His pure character, motives, and desires. And that is the foundation of how He teaches us to discern. As we learn His Word and lean on His Spirit to teach us how to live it, we access this quiet inner voice that directs and corrects us. The Spirit within uses the Word to lead. I think the practical steps we must take are learning the Word, humbling self to even ask God for discernment, and disciplining self to wait on the Lord. We have to learn to reject human distractions and focus on Him.

Many years ago, a wise friend gave me 3 questions to always ask in discerning and making decisions. 1) What do the circumstances indicate? 2) Does it agree with the Word? 3) Do I have peace about it? The combined answers have never failed me.

• 4 weeks later...

It teaches us the importance of listening carefully to God, by telling us that undesirable results occur when we don't.

I think instinctively we all start out listening to what God tells us, but as time passes and circumstances around us seem to be counter intuitive to what we believe God had in mind when we started that we feel we need to make corrections or adjustments to God's plan. Need to know regardless of how we feel, God has the perfect plan, leave it alone.

I think he teaches us in the small things, and leads us to the bigger things as we learn to be obedient.

I think we learn by spending time meditating, reading and studying Gods word.

This story teaches us the importance of listening to Gods voice. As humans we generally act according to what we know and according to past experiences or knowledge that we might have gained at some point in our lives. But that is not always the correct way to do things. If Samuel had not listened to Gods voice when choosing a king among Jesse's sons, he probably would have chosen Eliab and not David because of his appearance.

Our instinctive way of discerning is always according to what we know and have been exposed to, generally known as things that have become second nature to us. God is teaching us to discern not by looking at the outward appearance, but by looking at the heart (1Samuel 16:7). We learn to listen to the spirit by meditating on the word!

This story teaches us the importance of listening to Gods voice. As humans we generally act according to what we know and according to past experiences or knowledge that we might have gained at some point in our lives. But that is not always the correct way to do things. If Samuel had not listened to Gods voice when choosing a king among Jesse's sons, he probably would have chosen Eliab and not David because of his appearance.

Our instinctive way of discerning is always according to what we know and have been exposed to, generally known as things that have become second nature to us. God is teaching us to discern not by looking at the outward appearance, but by looking at the heart (1Samuel 16:7). We learn to listen to the spirit by meditating on the word!

• 1 month later...

2a) This story teaches us that our actions have consequences,if we don’t wait patiently,hear, listern&discern,we’re at risk of misinterpreting what he says &making wrong choices.Listening to God’s voice, means not following our worldly assumptions of right path to follow.e.gmost respected first,world business view, but using spiritual eyes &ears to discern God’s will in a situation.

B) Our initial way of discerning is to look at external appearances first.,voice,looks,logic, social experiences,fitting God’s word into our culture experiences, business world view to make jugdements, and risk of making wrong decisions when not listening to God effectivily.

C) God is teaching us when making decisions to discern way forward using our spiritual antennae listening to Gods voice, through HS prompts as commune with God, read &meditate on His word,using this guide,to test their character,faith,experience &look at the heart of the person using this spiritual sight and discern what should do.

D) We learn to listen carefully to the Spirit,by spending time communing with God in prayer, reading &meditating on the bible,&asking Spirit to reveal himself and direct us.

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

This story teaches us the importance of listening carefully to the voice of God because God does not see as we see, we look on the outward appearance while He looks at the heart, so we need Him to speak and guide us as to what His will is.Most of the time in the physical it looks obvious what we need to do but God says in His word His ways are not our ways and so to get the full picture we need to see things spiritually and we can do this only by His Spirit.

Mostly we are led by the flesh, what we can see, feel and touch, but this only helps to blind us spiritually.

God is teaching us to discern by teaching us to listen to the Holy Spirit and to base our judgement on this rather than on our natural insticts.

We learn to hear from the Spirit by patience and trust in God. Patience because we have to wait upon God and not to go on ahead of him and trust because we have to trust and believe that He knows and will do what is best for us no matter what. We know it is the Spirit of God if what the voice speaking to us is telling us correponds to the word of God and if we have peace with God about it.

• 2 months later...

The story shows us that we are quick to look at people according to human acceptance, but if we wait for the Lord to speak we will see that his thoughts are not based on appearance, or standings in the community, or good deeds that have been done but the heart of the person which humans cannot see.

Learning how to listen to the spirit and discern right from wrong takes discipline. Studying the bible, and lots of prayer.

Sometimes we think that if we pray for the Lord to send or give us something that if it comes easy it must have been the answer from the Lord.  When in my own experience it wasn't the answer at all.  Through studying I have learned that His way isn't the easy way sometimes it is the harder way that he wants us to take.

• 4 months later...

God continually reveals through His word and through life, that He gives direction as we walk in obedience. God does not reveal the entire plan at once, it unfolds as we walk in faith. Sometimes it is hard stepping out without the full picture, but day by day with obedience God reveals His plan. He is also merciful enough to send confirmations along the way.

At this very moment, I am walking out a plan that I do not fully understand but if I walk in obedience and keep my eyes on Him all these things shall be added to me (Matt. 6:33). It gets scary. This is where faith comes in...He wants us to trust Him.

• 4 weeks later...

This story teaches us the importance of listening to God through two characters.

Firstly: Saul, who failed to listen to God. With him, we see the "negative" side of what happens when we don't listen to God. We just don't prosper in what we do, much like Saul who's rein as king had ended. Even the disappointment that comes through not following God's commands. He will not turn His back on us but we will be called to account for our disobedience

Secondly: Samuel, who listens to God and God made his plans prosper but even better than all that was the deep relationship that Samuel had with God.We all tend to seek that deep meaningful relationship with God and Samuel shows us how and that is by listening carefully to God's voice. I'd like to take it a little bit further than that and say not just listening but also doing.

Our instinctive way of discerning is through physical appearance and social stature. We rarely look at the character of the individual.

He teaches us to look at what lies within an individual, He teaches us to look at the heart of an individual, "judge" by character. 

We learn to listen to the Spirit through spending time in God's presence----> reading/mediating on His word, praising Him, spending time in silence just so that He may speak to us and then just praying.

The more we spend time in His presence, the more we will learn His language in our lives.

Beautiful lesson today.