JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

I think that Saul wanted to be the Kings son-n-law, but felt like because he nor his family could afford the cost it would take he denied the offer.  When King Saul presented a way to pay off what it would normally take to marry a Kings daughter he jumped at the chance.

Of course it wasn't chance he knew he could kill 200 soldiiers easily.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(1 Samuel 18:18-22) Which of the following is David's chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion? Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you: (1) pride in his military prowess, (2) obedience to Saul's desires, (3) love or desire for Michal, or (4) enjoyment in killing Philistines

I think it was a combination of a couple reasons.  He had rejected Saul's offer of marriage to Merab, but was willing to follow through with the requirements to marry Michal, so he must have been more attracted to Michal.  He seemed hesitant to be Saul's son in law, but perhaps his love for Michal overrode that issue.  I also think he was becoming proud of displaying his military abilities, so when the challenge was given to him, it inspired him to fight for Michal's hand in marriage. 

• 9 months later...

David excepted the offer of marrage to Suals youngest daughter, he loved her & she loved him, but the price Saul wanted was to be fulfilled by a military price, again Saul thought by putting David in danger, this time he maybe killed.

The price was for David to kill & bring back the foreskins of 100 Philistines, David killed double this number so as to pay more than the price for Michal hand in marrage. David was then Saul's son-in-law.

I think of course David did want to marry Michal, he loved her & she loved him. & Maybe he thought it best that he be obediant to the King. I dont think David would have taken any pleasure in the killings, he was doing what he had to do, & again God is with David.

• 1 year later...

I believe David's reason for marrying Michel was to kill more Philistines.  He knew from the time he went up against Goliath that the Philistines did not fear God nor worship Him.  David did both and this is the reason I believe he married Michel because it would give him an opportunity to take out more who spoke against the Lord's armies

• 5 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 18:18-22) Which of the following is David’s chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion? Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you: (1) pride in his military prowess, (2) obedience to Saul’s desires, (3) love or desire for Michal, or (4) enjoyment in killing Philistines.

Off these number three is probably the more accurate. However, David's love was not ʾahabâ. David's  love was a love, a desire for power and control. David's new position as son-in-law to the king gave him a connection to the throne if anything ever happened to Jonathan. As it turns out both King Saul and Jonathan were killed in battle. Allowing David to become king.

• 3 years later...

I think David's motive for marrying Michal was love. Verse 20 says that Michal was in love with David. Hopefully this love was mutual; but also becoming the King's son-in-law would raise his status (already in high esteem in the country because of his military prowess), to an all-time high. So in verse 26, David was pleased when he was told the bride price stated by the king. With his trademark faith in God, he knew he would manage.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 18:18-22) Which of the following is David’s chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion? Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you: (1) pride in his military prowess, (2) obedience to Saul’s desires, (3) love or desire for Michal, or (4) enjoyment in killing Philistines.

I think it's #2 obedience to Saul's desires. David was working out how he would be king in the future. He held Saul in high esteem and as such was probably thinking this was Gods instruction to him through Saul.  I also think that he would have had desire for Michal, but not overwhelming passion/love for her because she was not his first choice.  

• 3 months later...

Q2. (1 Samuel 18:18-22)

Which of the following is David's chief motive for marrying Michal, in your opinion?

Argue for the motivation that makes the most sense to you: (1) pride in his military prowess, (2) obedience to Saul's desires, (3) love or desire for Michal, or (4) enjoyment in killing Philistines.

I think love or desire for Michal makes the most sense.  To make her his wife he is given the opportunity to win her with his military success. By marrying her, he is inadvertently obedient to Saul's desire or suggestion.  I would't use the word ", enjoyment" in killing the enemy, but grateful to be of use in the battle for the Lord's people.