JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (2 Samuel 6:16, 20-23)

What has happened to Michal that she is so bitter at David?

How does her bitterness cause her to misjudge what she sees?

Are you bitter towards God about something in your past?

What effect might it have on your spiritual life?

How can you find healing from the bitterness?

What would have happened if David had conformed his worship expression to his wife’s preferences?

a. I think Mical was bitter to David for not acting as she thought a King should in

his worship/praise of God. She resented being taken from her "second" husband

and returned to David. Instead of being first wife to David she was now seventh.

She was barren. She had lost her "status" as a King's daughter. Mical also

was not humble to the Lord as David was, she thought it was undignified. I

believe it was a combination of all these things that caused Mica to become

so bitter towards David.

b. To Mical, David removing the kingly garbs, wearing the ephod, and in her

eyes acting undignified and "uncovering" himself before the servants, was

totally wrong. She failed to see his worship for the Lord was from the heart.

c. Yes I have been bitter toward God at times. But then I found out when I

ASK God for help I on something I always got it. So now I always turn my

problems over To God, and try not to worry about it.

Like now, we lost our land (Or I should say I) for back taxes, the house is in

horrible condition and my cousin (bought the land) is ready for my eyesore

of a house to be gone. I have turned it over to God, He will help me do the

right thing or help me find a house. (He will provide what He thinks I need)

d. This has taught me to trust in God, praise him, try to live my life His way

and to turn problems over to him, not try handle it my way.

e. I prayed to understand and started reading my Bible again and started

to try to do serious bible studies.

f. David wouldn't have been true in his worship to God, if he had tried to

worship as Mical wanted. I think it would have been more "Lip worship"

insead of his worshiping from his Heart. I think this would have David

putting Mical first instead of God First.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (2 Samuel 6:16, 20-23) What has happened to Michal that she is so bitter at David? How does her bitterness cause her to misjudge what she sees?

Her heart has been hardened to be a 'high level person - daughter of a king' This has not helped her humility; and she clearly go not training of this from her father. It ios warning sign for us of how our elders have 'formed us' or how they may have acted or are acting now.

Are you bitter towards God about something in your past? What effect might it have on your spiritual life? How can you find healing from the bitterness?

So is being stubborn in not taking action according to God's will a bitterness? Probably yes, it represents another example of not bringing God into daily activities. Pray leads the way, we can't do enough of it. Prayer le's us see the truth, and pray brings the Holy Spirit to humble us over and over till "we get it right" - but this is a life long process for we never get it right like Jesus.

What would have happened if David had conformed his worship expression to his wife's preferences? This cold not have happened, it was not God's will. But is David like Jesus, rebuking a pharisee? David didn't try to humble her and explain why she had this reaction. Jesus explained to Simon why the prostitute was "better than him" and probably in a gentle loving way. Oh what a Savior!

• 2 months later...

4a)Michal resents David for his excubrant joyful,self-less.dancing; his harem,bearing children with his 6 other wives¬ her as his first wife.She had been torn away from man who loved her to be with man didn’t understand.She lost the status as the kings Saul’s daughter. probably objected to David taking off his kingly robe &putting on simple priestly Ephod, more like a commoner.Michal has known pampering as kings daughter, known only luxury&developed sense of superiority.now bitter at David for his faithfilled, more,humble choices

.b)Her bitternessfor above reasons meant she looks only at David’s external appearance when dancing, missing the fact he is praising Godfrom the heart first&foremostnot interested in what people think of him

.c)I’m sad not understaning why certain things havehappened to me, but not bitter at God. He knows the full picture not me

.d)Bitterness could hinder my relationship with God,my service for Him,my witness to others&chew me up,if don’t seek healing from hurts with God’s help.He does take away the pain as we release it to him

e)Praying &The Word has rescued me manytimes,turning bitterness,frustation,hurt into more loving humble thoughts as I’ve sought God’s mercy,knowing my need of Him,forgiveness for those caused hurt,love,comfort and peace. His Word has restored my soul.

f)We may not have been blessed with the wonderful model of praise in the psalms.We would have lost the sense of enjoying God’s presence.

• 1 year later...

Bitterness towards God can come into someone's life anytime they have heartbreak, a loss of a loved one or just not understanding why things happen.

Michal is bitter because of the way her life turned out, what she thought would be a way of life for her forever was taken away.

David's worship comes from his heart and he isn't going to apologize for it.

It does seem to me that David has resentment towards Michal for remarrying.

• 2 months later...

What has happened to Michal that she is so bitter at David? How does her bitterness cause her to misjudge what she sees? Are you bitter towards God about something in your past? What effect might it have on your spiritual life? How can you find healing from the bitterness? What would have happened if David had conformed his worship expression to his wife's preferences?

Michal seems to be a jealous person- of David's love for God and of people's response to David. She is more concern about human behavior than strengthening her relationship to God. Instead of being inspired, she is bitter. When we find ourselves angry, frustrated or confused, we will improve our attitudes by focusing on Him instead of ourselves- thanking God for his blessings is a good place to start. It always lifts my spirits. If David had catered to his wife's displeasures, it would have hindered his expression of love and closeness to God.

• 2 years later...

Q4. (2 Samuel 6:16, 20-23) What has happened to Michal that she is so bitter at David? How does her bitterness cause her to misjudge what she sees? Are you bitter towards God about something in your past? What effect might it have on your spiritual life? How can you find healing from the bitterness? What would have happened if David had conformed his worship expression to his wife’s preferences?

There are probably several reasons that Michal is better to watch David. Firstly, she had become attracted to David when he was young and beautiful and a captain of her father's service. However, as Saul and David became estranged and begin to fight and as she was left behind at the court she became influenced by Saul in the court against David. Secondly, there is no doubt from the Bible that there was a deep attachment between Michal and her husband, Paltiel and she was forced to return to David as her husband. Thirdly there may not have been a great love between David and Michal has David and Saul head trains with funeral  for political purposes.

Bitterness always causes misjudgment.

• 6 years later...

She had lost her father and brothers, and now her husband is dancing arounf half naked in fromt of the slave girls. She felt she was being humiliated in front of the people

We only see whatt we want to see

No i’m not bitter

Repent and seek God

He would have pleased his wife but not God

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (2 Samuel 6:16, 20-23)

What has happened to Michal that she is so bitter at David?

How does her bitterness cause her to misjudge what she sees?

Are you bitter towards God about something in your past?

What effect might it have on your spiritual life?

How can you find healing from the bitterness?

What would have happened if David had conformed his worship expression to his wife's preferences?

There are a lot of what's and what if's .

Michal, Saul's daughter, was David's first wife. When David fled the court because Saul wanted to kill him, she was left behind.  David did not force her to be with him in the wilderness and wherever else he was in the years that her father had tried to kill him.  She was in the safety of her home and later in the safety of the home of Paltiel, the man Saul chose to be her husband instead of letting her wait for David's return or death.  When Abner wanted to see David after he was angry with Ishbosheth, whom he had put on the throne, David agreed on condition that  he bring Michal to him.   This was about 7 yrs after David had already been king over his tribe, after Saul's death.  He couldn't have done this earlier as it could have led to the belief that he was claiming the throne from Isbosheth, Saul's son.  David had promised kindness to Saul's house, and he kept his promise.  He was not in favour of civil war, just to become king.  God's timing, to him, was the right timing.  

Michal was no longer the only wife.  She was now one of 7 wives.  The others had all presented David with offspring and she was barren.   All  this could have led to feelings of bitterness and jealousy.  She too was probably used to a life of luxury and being center of attraction.  Another aspect could have been, that maybe , just maybe, she would have enjoyed being part of all the festivities and led the dancing and singing as Miriam did, so many years before.  Our answers are just speculations by trying to be in her shoes.  If she was part of all the celebrations, she would not have despised David, but would have rejoiced with him.  

Her bitterness makes her see David as having debased himself and becoming one of the "common" people.  She does not share the joy that he has for having brought the Ark into his capital city and in worshiping God.  

David would have lost out on much joy and peace.  Also favour with God.