JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Unconditional Covenant

Q2. (2 Samuel 7:8-13)

What are the main promises of the Davidic Covenant?

Are these promises conditional or unconditional?

Why does conditionality make a difference?

Which of these promises is most important to you as a Christian?

a. The Davidic Covenant promised David:

1) a great name

2) a safe/permant place for the people of Israel

3) peace from all your enemies

4) Dynasty for "the House of David" and his descendants.

5) his son to build the temple

6) an everlasting kingdom

b. I believe the promises were unconditional in the covenant.

Althought God did promise to punish David and his descendants

for sinning.

c. If the covenant were conditional, there would be items spelled

out that would have to be met "before" the promise was filled,

and some may not have been filled at all.There is the promise

as said above, that God would punish David and his Descendants

for sinning, but He did not say anything about David and his

descendants loosing the Davidic Covenant if they sinned.

d. To me the last promise is the most important (although peace

runs a close second). Jesus Christ's death on the cross, was a

gift given to you and me that all our sins are paid for.

With God's help I will be beside him one day.

Praise God!

• 5 weeks later...

David is promised a great name, for the future, beyond his reign as King.

His people, God's people will have a secure home. and, there will be peace.

There will be a dynasty, and an eternal kingdom [with the name of Jesus]

His own son will build the temple, not himself, it will be Solomon

• 2 months later...

The first 3 God promises are for David &his people -1/Make David’s name great over the people of Israel,2/He will enable his people to have a secure place to live in their own homeland,not oppressed by their neighbours,3/God will enable David’s people to experience relative peace from their enemies. The next 3 promises are of what God will grant David’s descendent’s of the future- a/He will establish a long lasting figurative House Dynasty of David.,b/He will enable David to have from his offspring a son(Solomon) who will build a house for the LORD(temple)b/God will establish the throne of his kingdom, his kingdom will be eternal,lasting forever with God as their Father

b)These are unconditional, God is sovereign, his promises to Israel are true, they were fulfilled in David as his heart was right&he looked to the LORD.God is sovereign his plans prevail through God’s grace.Israel through it’s sin meant many Iaraelites didn’t see the fulfilment of all these promises.

c)Conditionality- God disciplines us as a Father,where Israel went wrong,&chasten’s them but never withdrew his mercy,his promises to Israel his first born and us his descendents prevail.d)God’s amazing promise of hope that his kingdom will last forever through Jesus redeeming love,even though we don’t alway’s deserve this,is most special for me

• 10 months later...

Q2. (2 Samuel 7:8-13) What are the main promises of the Davidic Covenant?

1. I will make you a great name (7:9) 
  2. I will give you safety from your enemies (7:10) 
  3. Rest from all your enemies (7:11)
  4. I will make you a house … the house of David (7:11) 
  5. Your offspring (son) will establish your kingdom (7:12) 
  6. Your Kingdom will last forever (7:13)

They are unconditional

Why does conditionality make a difference? Because Davis is a mere man, he is inperfect and subject to failure .  Therefore, if God's promises were dependent on David's performance, the prominses would not be worth much.

Your Kingsom will last forever.... so I will be able to beneft from it.

• 10 months later...

(2 Samuel 7:8-13) What are the main promises of the Davidic Covenant? Are these promises conditional or unconditional? Why does conditionality make a difference? Which of these promises is most important to you as a Christian?

God promises to make David's name great, to give the Israelites a home that will not be disturbed and rest from conflict. He tells David that his offspring will build God's house and that although he will be punished when he does wrong, God will always love him and David's kingdom will endure forever. I do not see conditions in this promise, but a warning of consequences (v7-punishment when wrong is done). This promise is a precious reminder to me of the value of our inheritance in God's kingdom. We will experience discipline but His love and care for us will remain always.

• 2 years later...

Q2. (2 Samuel 7:8-13) What are the main promises of the Davidic Covenant? Are these promises conditional or unconditional? Why does conditionality make a difference? Which of these promises is most important to you as a Christian?

The main Promises of the Covenant or is that a David's line will be continued forever and these are conditional.

With conditionality is tied performance.

Q2. (2 Samuel 7:8-13) What are the main promises of the Davidic Covenant? Are these promises conditional or unconditional? Why does conditionality make a difference? Which of these promises is most important to you as a Christian?

There are several parts to the Covenant with David. Three of these dealt with David and his lifetime and were similar to those promise to Abraham: these were

1. The David would have a great name throughout the area

2. The Homeland Israel would be safe from external attack and  

3. That there would be peace for David and his country.

The final three or problems it's not only to David but to his kingdom and would come at a later time.

These were

1 a dynasty which would last forever which we as Christians interpret as being the kingdom of God on Earth which was established by his son Jesus Christ as he came as the savior of the Earth.

2.A son, Jesus Christ who until the temple of God which would be that kingdom of God on Earth

3.A son, Jesus Christ, who rules the world in Grace and love.

These last three promises are both conditional and unconditional. They are unconditional in that they are promised without condition. God loves us so much that he gives his promises that are unconditional. But at the same time comma in a paradoxical way, they are also conditional hyphen conditional in that in order for the individual to access these promises of price and to understand them fully we must accept Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord

• 3 years later...

1.What are the main promises of Davidic covenant?

1.1 Dynasty 1.2 His son will build the temple of God 1.3An everlasting  kingdom 

2.Are these promises conditional or unconditional?

Are unconditional 

What does conditional makes a difference?

Conditional  means provided you do something  tha a promise is fulfilled 

3.Which of this promises is most important  to you as Christian? Everlasting kingdom 

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q2. (2 Samuel 7:8-13)

What are the main promises of the Davidic Covenant?

Why does conditionality make a difference?

The promises are :

• A great name (v 8&9)
  • A secure homeland for his people  (v10&11a)
  • Peace (v11b)
  • A dynasty (v11c)
  • A son who will build the temple  (v 12-13)
  • An everlasting Kingdom  (13)

God said that He would reprimand them like a father would reprimand a son.  So the condition would be to act towards God as a son would react to a loved Father.  Discipline would be part of the plan.  

Conditionality brings responsibility.  

There is an everlasting Kingdom in which we will have a part.