JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

I would stress that Christ died for our sins. His blood washed our sins away as long as we believe in him and in God the Father. We must change our lives to become like Christ to keep the gift. We must learn to live in love and to accept the paths that God puts us on. We need to give up the worldly views and materialistic views.

With no assurance of salvation, people are more likely to become depressed or see a hopelessness around them. They feel that they are worthless of God's graces.

When a person has a false assurance of salvation, they feel they can do what  they want. They are not concerned of their actions or words. They continue to live very materialistic ways. They feel that they are better than other people.

• 1 year later...

Q5. (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24) If you met a true Christian who had no assurance of salvation, how would you explain to him or her God’s power to protect and present them blameless before Christ at his coming? What is the problem of having no assurance of salvation? What is the problem of having a false assurance of salvation?

To the insecure Christian of his assurance of salvation tell them that 1 Thessalonians 5:24 that "God himself, the God of peace, may both sanctify through and through. That their whole soul, body and spirit be kept blameless until the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ". Also Philippians 1:6, that "He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ".

A person who has no assurance of salvation is most likely not truly a spirit born person.

Having a false assurance of salvation, the person has not truly been informed of the word of God.      

• 1 year later...

Q5. (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24) If you met a true Christian who had no assurance of salvation, how would you explain to him or her God's power to protect and present them blameless before Christ at his coming?

If you continue in rebellion against God, you will not be saved. Salvation is based on the saving death of the Son of God who died for our sins. … Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. For God who called you in fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ is faithful.

What is the problem of having a false assurance of salvation?

Continued open and flagrant rebellion is the one who should imagine no assurance of salvation.

• 4 years later...

Q5. (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24) If you met a true Christian who had no assurance of salvation, how would you explain to him or her God’s power to protect and present them blameless before Christ at his coming? What is the problem of having no assurance of salvation? What is the problem of having a false assurance of salvation?

I will ask this person firstly why he/she thinks they are not assured of their salvation. There has to be a reason, and this might make them reflect on their relationship with God, and might point to something in their lives that need correction, some evil, or addiction, etc. I will then also remind this person we are human, and make mistakes, and remind them that it is through our faith, and by the grace of God, and our act of acceptance, believing and obedience, that we can rest assured God has promised us that he will not let us go and finish the good work he started in us until the end. I will remind this person that their is no limit to the power of God, and by making Him your rock, you will be protected from evil if you lean on Him in times of weakness and doubt as it is promised in 1 Peter 1:5

Having no assurance harms the joy and peace you should experience as a Christian, and will prevent you from growing in Christ, and getting closer to God.

A false sense of salvation, means you are saved no matter what. I do not think if you live a life of no matter what, that you will be blameless, and spotless when the day comes, and if you have lived a life serving two Gods you have a problem, because God Himself has said, there is only One.

• 1 year later...

I would go over the 22 commands and admonitions listed in 1 Thessalonians chapter 5.  People without assurance need to obey what is in God's Holy Word.   Some serious soul searching is required by the one who has little or no assurance.  Plus, such a person perhaps has not been Baptized in the Holy Spirit; and tolerating secret sins doesn't help one bit.

No assurance of salvation is the monkey wrench that ruins the testimony of so many Christains.   They have no desire to preach the Gospel, no desire to witness nor hand out Gospel literature.  Very serious problems will come along unless the believer carefully examines the promises of God.  The Epistles of St Paul are full of statements on assurance.   He never would have taught "presumptuous assurance".   Paul always taught that we must obey the Lord.   We need to live a holy and sanctified life; we are still running the race.

• 5 months later...

I think the Spirit Himself gives Christians their assurance of salvation. Thus, if I met a Christian who doubted her/his salvation, I would pray that the Holy Spirit enters that person in greater measure, giving both peace and a settled feeling of security. I would not try to reason or convince with Bible verses. I'd simply pray.