JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Question 4.4

Isaiah 26 is introduced by the words”on thqt day this song will be sung”.  That day is the day of the Lord about which Isaiah has been speaking.  On that day those of steadfast mind Yahweh will keep in peace.  It is upon that day which the great peace will descend.  A time when the wolf will lay down with the lamb.  (11:6) A day when the Lord will in righteousness judge the poor. (11.4) A time when there will be endless peace. (9:7) On that day there shall be perfect peace for those who trust in the Lord.  
When we fall away from trusting the Lord there becomes a gap between saviour and servant.  This trust in God is a dependence on God to fulfill his part made through Noah, Abraham, David, and filled in the person of Jesus Christ.  If we fail in this trust, we are at risk of having reneged on our bargain of the covenant.  
Further if we do not trust in God we do not love the Lord and this also creates problems in our relationship with God.  This relationship is based upon trust and love.
Verse 4b of Chapter 26 seems to be very difficult to translate.  The notes translate as “the Lord, the Lord is the rock eternal”.  The NRSV has “for in the Lord God you have an everlasting rock”.  I like the NKJV which translates 4b as “for in YAH the Lord is everlasting strength.”  The Hebrew as translated by Strong’s Exaustive Concordance of the Bible describes ‘sur’ as “edge, God, mighty God, mighty One, rock, sharp, stone, strength, end and strong.”  It seems that the tenor of the verse is to indicate God is the mighty one who is the one of everlasting strength and can be figuratively as the eternal rock.  

Winstony

Perfect peace is keeping our mind on the Lord. The thing that happens when we get distracted from trusting the Lord is that we start to worry about everything. We have taken over our lives and we don’t know what to do with it. The Lord is called the “Rock eternal” because He is always there. He knows what we need when we need it.

• 3 weeks later...

According to Isaiah 26:3-4 the key to perfect peace is, trusting the Lord and learning to lean on Him.

When we get distracted from trusting the Lord,we live in a state of constant fear and anxiety.

The Lord is called the "Rock Eternal" because He anchors our life.

• 10 months later...

4a)Trusting in the Lord at all times.

b)Our minds get weighed down with the anxiety’s we feel as human’s &experience the pull of the worldly view,away from a God focus of thinking.

c)The Lord is called the Rock eternal because he is the solid,secure &steadfast anchor for our soul,mighty in strength and trustworthy. He can give us perfect peace even in the midst of anxiety if we lean on Him&let him carry our burdens or concerns commit our minds to trust in Him alone.He brought me through cancer&radiotherapy treatment.Hebrews12:2 let us run the race set before us with endurance,keeping our eyes focused on Jesus the author and perfector of our faith.

• 8 months later...

The key of perfect peace is to lean on God for support. Allow him to take care of all of your troubles. Allow him to support you and help you with all of your life's decisions. However, when we get distracted from trusting in the Lord, our lives become chaos. We lose our way. Fear, anxiety and depression take over. The Lord, who was from the beginning of time to the end of time, is there for us. He is a strong and constant figure. He is known as the Rock Eternal.  He has no beginning and no end.

• 7 months later...

Q4. (Isaiah 26:3-4) According to this verse, what is the key to perfect peace? What happens when we get distracted from trusting in the Lord? Why is the Lord called the “Rock eternal”? 

The key to perfect peace is keeping your mind on Jesus, meditating on the Word of God.  It is the plan of the enemy, Satan, to distract us and mve us away from the peace we have when we trust in the Lord.  The Lord is called the "Rock eternal", because as a rock He keeps us anchored in His will if we'd let Him be our rock.

• 4 years later...

Q4. (Isaiah 26:3-4) According to this verse, what is the key to perfect peace? Whom is mind is steadfast in the Lord.

What happens when we get distracted from trusting in the Lord? Our burdens are often too much for us to bear.

Why is the Lord called the "Rock eternal"? Because he is the anchor of my life.

• 2 years later...

Some of the answers given to this question above were just beautiful. Thank you. I'm not sure I can add anything ... probably not.

At those times when I was desperate, sinking and overwhelmed, I clung to Jesus with all of my strength. Though my faith was tested, and though I eventually passed that test, I was never at "perfect peace" during the trial. Yet, during these "peaceless" times of turbulence I grew spiritually.

(Perhaps the next step in sanctification is learning to peacefully go through trials and sufferings?)

Again, when I leaned on the Rock with all the weight of the suffering I was enduring, I was not at perfect peace. But I was leaning on Him ... practically clinging to Him. So there's not necessarily a peace of mind resulting from Jesus carrying the weight. Trusting in the storm doesn't necessarily lead to peace. Even total trust, which is impossible, doesn't lead to total peace.

Peace, at least in my experiences, if felt only in the aftermath of the trial. It comes when I have the time and mental space to look back, to be retrospective, and see how God was there during the trial. Seeing how God was present makes peace in my soul for I know that God was there though I couldn't feel or hear Him at the time. He still is. 

God is with me in times of turmoil, suffering and peacelessness as well as times of retrospection, ease and peace.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Isaiah 26:3-4) According to this verse, what is the key to perfect peace?

The key to perfect peace is trusting in the Lord. 

What happens when we get distracted from trusting in the Lord?

Worry, depression, fear, sin. You lose sight of His word and your relationship with Him. 

Why is the Lord called the “Rock eternal”? 
He is the eternal Rock because He’s a form foundation. Everything was made and created by God, He’s the foundation that started it all. 

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Isaiah 26:3-4)

According to this verse, what is the key to perfect peace? What happens when we get distracted from trusting in the Lord?

According to Isaiah 26:3 "The steadfast mind You will keep in perfect peace" Which means basically that we keep our minds on Him and He keep us in perfect peace. The less we get distracted from the Lord the greater our peace. Philippians 4:7 says " And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehensions, will guard our hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus"

Why is the Lord called the “Rock eternal”? 

Describing God as the "Rock eternal" speaks of His being strong, unmovable or shakeable and a refuge for us forever.God is described as the Rock through out scripture. In Genesis 19:24 Jacob was the first to describe God as "the Rock of Isreal"  Note He is the Rock not a rock. He is the only One who can save us. In Deutoronly 32:4 Moses called God "The Rock, His work is perfect"