JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Hezekiah's Healing

3a)Hezekiah’s illness came before he had opportunity to train a son, so if he had died.it would have left his country leaderless. Not helpful at a time when the Assyrian army under Sennacherib threatened to put Jerusalem under seige.His healing gave his nation hope inspiring national unty &time for an heir to his throne to be born,so his house would continue without disputes.

b)Hezekiah’s healing and 15yrs more life gave time for his son Manasseh to be born, relates to God’s promises to David of an unbroken line of sons upon David’s throne Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before me; your throne will be established forever." (2 Samuel 7:14-16) and God’s promise of offspring &long life to those live uprightly obey his commands.

• 7 months later...

Hezekiah was the last person in the line of David. He had no one to leave the running of the nation to. He had no heir. This means that the promised line of David would end there. There was also the fear that the nation would come to an end because of the constant threat of invasion. God never goes back on any promise that he makes. He heals Hezekiah and gives him an heir to take over.

• 7 months later...

Q3. (Isaiah 38:2-3) Why is Hezekiah’s healing important for his nation? How did it relate to God’s promises made to David (2 Samuel 7:11b-16)?

Hezekiah’s healing was important for his nation because at the time of the death pronouncement there was no heir to the throne.  God had promised David that He would establish the throne of David's heir and his kingdom will be for ever. In 2 Samuel 7:16 God told David, "And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever."

• 7 years later...

Hezekiah's healing prefigured the healing of the nation, in other words, Hezekiah's healing pre-presented the healing that God would give to Israel. 

God had promised Hezekiah that there would be an unbroken genetic line from David to the Messiah. Hezekiah was a link in that line, but had no children. Without children, this line would be broken so it was imperative that he live long enough to sire children.

Furthermore, and perhaps more importantly, Hezekiah appealed to God on the basis of his own righteousness. This passage gave me pause because my own tendency is to focus on my own most negative/sinful parts, thus neglecting the sanctification that has already occurred. But there are parts of me that are righteous because He's made them so. I can, then, appeal to God on the basis, oddly, of what He has already done within me. I'm not appealing because I'm sinless, but because my focus is on Him and the trajectory of my life is toward Him and because of what Christ has done in me.

Although pastor Ralph didn't touch on this, the willingness of God to change or negate His judgment is hope-making. Hezekiah's prayers "changed history" by  changing God's mind or word. This is amazing. Truly. Can we pray that the course of history changes? Are our prayers for righteous leaders in our own countries futile or potentially productive? This passage suggests that the river of history as we know it may be channeled and directed by our prayers, which, frankly, I find exciting.

• 1 month later...

God listen to Hezekiah’s prayer and restored his health. He walked with God
He is an example for all who desire such faithfulness during difficult days and a reminder not to forget the Lord when things go too smoothly.

God had promised David that his heir would always be king.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Q3. (Isaiah 38:2-3) Why is Hezekiah's healing important for his nation?

The nation needed to have a strong leader and there was no male heir to take the throne if Hezekiah passed away.

How did it relate to God's promises made to David (2 Samuel 7:11b-16)?

God promised David that his throne would live on forever, in order for that to happen Hezekiah must have an heir of his own to succeed him.