JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2)

1. "What does "called to be holy" or "called to be saints" mean?

2. What is a saint according to the Bible?

3. Why is it so comfortable for us to say, "I'm no saint"?

4. What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God?

5. What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

1. "Called to be holy" means belonging to God and to live according to God's standards. To be set aside for God Himself. To be dedicated to Him. 

2. According to the definition in the Collins Dictionary, a saint is a dead person who is officially recognized and honored by the Christian church because his or her life was a perfect example of the way that Christians should live. 

According to the Bible a saint is a reflection on the state of ownership. You are a saint because God has set you apart to belong to Him. 

3. When we live in sin or caught out at having sinned, it is so easy to say, "I'm no saint." It almost excuses the bad behavior. 

4. The person set apart for God is expected to live a holy life. If and when you do sin, to sort it out, repent of it and go on living for God. 

5. The definition given in the Dictionary sort of sums up what the world expects of saints. To be perfect in every way. Never to slip up or put it plainly, to sin. To live an exemplary life in every way. 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very much liked Pastor Ralph's description of a saint, "Saint" isn't a reflection on your state of perfection, but your state of ownership." It makes the term a bit more palatable. The reason people say "I'm not a saint," is because they know that they don't live up to the standards that God has placed in them. They feel inadequate. They have a nagging sense that their life doesn't glorify God well-enough. So, if being a saint is something God has done, not something we have earned behaviorly, then it's a term I can use ... with hesitation.

The world mocks us when we fall short. (This is a good reason to not use the word "saint" outside the church.) It's painful to watch the media deride and ridicule a pastor caught in sexual sins, broadcasting mockery across the land. What's so amazing to me is that they, themselves, often do the same things, yet shamelessly. Thus, it is the element of shame, the idea that we know what we should do even though we never live up to His high standards, that sets apart the sinning saint from the unrepentant sinner.

• 4 months later...

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2)

“What does “called to be holy” or “called to be saints” mean? 

I have confessed Jesus as my Lord and Savior. He has made me a part of His Kingdom and set me apart with all the others like myself, to do what He calls me to.

What is a saint according to the Bible?

A saint according to the Bible is a person who knows that Jesus died for their sin on the cross, and has surrendered their life to Him accepting that He is their Lord and Savior 

Why is it so comfortable for us to say, “I’m no saint”?

Because when we accept Jesus, we are even more deeply convicted of sin in our lives and realize how imperfect we are. We have learnt that "sainthood" means near perfection, and we know that we are not there. However we need to realize that God, seeing us and what we will become, calls us saints. It will help us to see ourselves in this way.

What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God?

It is expected that persons who are God's personal property will acknowledge who He is (Father, Lord, Savior, Master and more), will get to know Him better (studying His Word, interacting with Him), and will obey Him. 

What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

The world expects those who claim to be Christians to be  good and kind and turn the other cheek, to never say bad words or do immoral things - they have very high expectations of such us and are quick to condemn when we miss the standard they have set. ( Little do they know the sorrow we feel when we sin and the Holy Spirit convicts us)