JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) “What does “called to be holy” or “called to be saints” mean?

It means that it was God's calling and not the result of our own righteousness.

What is a saint according to the Bible?

Anyone who is a born-again Christian and follows Jesus.

Why is it so comfortable for us to say, “I’m no saint”?

It lets us off the hook as far as our behavior is concerned, at least in our own minds.

What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God? What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

We're expected to behave a lot better than the average sinner, at least. I'm never sure what the world at large expects of Christians.  One thing we are expected to be is uncompromising in our standards. If we go along with everything our worldly friends do then we're not being good Christians in their eyes.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) "What does "called to be holy" or "called to be saints" mean? Called to be holy or saints is be set apart, consecrated and dedecated to Gos for his purposes.

What is a saint according to the Bible? All those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Why is it so comfortable for us to say, "I'm no saint"? There is a lack of understanding of what “saint” means. Saint isn't something accomplished through your own personal works or actions but is because we belong to God.

What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God? A person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God set apart and holy. To believe in our position with God and actualize our position in our obedience and love for God.

What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ? The world expects us to be what the world would term “perfect”or above reproach. Although that expectation also varies with each individual. I think Mother Theresa is a good example of what the world would have all of the way all Christians should be. 

I am holy and a saint by means of Jesus Christ.  By accepting and calling upon Jesus, the Messiah, who died on the cross for  the universal atonement of human sin.  As a result, I became a child of God.  A holy saint in Jesus Christ.  Nothing I have done puts me in that status expect accepting Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior.

Biblically, saints are those separated from this satanic world order to serve God in a personal relationship with Him.  Saints are God's special possessions/treasures.

It is comfortable for me to say that I am no saint because I know me. I know my flaws, defects, sin, and that I am a sinner.  For me it is easy acknowledge that I am a saint only in Jesus Christ.

The expectation of one separated to be the personal property of God is to have a dynamic personal relationship with Him in love, obedience and service.

The world sees being a saint as one who is perfect as a person.  A shallow view.

When a degenerate person recognizes his sinful state before God, confesses that sinfulness to God, and accepts the redemption of God through the Lord Christ Jesus, then God does something amazing.  As that person is then embraced and united into Christ, he is imbued with the holiness (moral perfection) of Christ.  God proclaims that person as sanctified in His sight.  He consecrates that new life apart from the old worldly nature to the new spiritual holy nature of Christ now within.  God takes that new life from the position of estranged enemy and sets it in the position of His own child with a personal relationship.  Then the rest of one’s natural life becomes immersed in the process of living out this sanctified status – learning to outwardly live what had been inwardly planted as the Holy Spirit develops this character of Christ in practical terms.  (In other words, your mind, will, and emotions are steadily transformed by this holiness throughout your lifetime, and this is evidenced in your thoughts, words, and deeds.)  God gives a new name to any and every one who has been set apart to Himself in this way - saint

Humanity, of course, has messed with the meaning of this word.  We use it to describe a person of extraordinary virtue.  Or someone who has died and gone to heaven.  Or as a special religious title given by canonization.  Or sometimes, simply as a contrast to the category of “sinner”.  But the Biblical meaning of “saint” is defined by God Himself.  It’s not defined by our morality, or piety, or works of self-sacrifice, or exemplary reputation.  According to our flawed definitions, these are the things the world expects of those who claim to be followers of Christ.  But “saint” is His designation of those He has redeemed, sanctified, and taken ownership of.

A person set apart as one who wholly belongs to God is not expected to live a perfect sinless life, but is expected to live a life that progressively demonstrates more and more of the holy character of Christ.  But our old nature fights this transition.  It’s a difficult thing to face the specifics of sin that lurk in our hearts.  It’s a painful process to sacrifice our selfish desires.  It’s agonizing to accept the shame of our immoral passions.  We shrink back from the blinding light of purity as it exposes the dark recesses within.  And so it’s easier and more comfortable to excuse ourselves by saying “I’m no saint” in an attempt to deny accountability.  Well, we see now that this excuse is nothing more than a lie!  We sure don't always think or behave like our new identity, but we can't change who God says we are.

Holiness, holiness is what I long for; Holiness is what I need.

Holiness, holiness is what You want from me.

So take my heart, renew it.   Take my mind, transform it.  Take my will, conform it

To Yours, to Yours, oh Lord.  

[TAKE MY LIFE, words and music by Scott Underwood]

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) “What does “called to be holy” or “called to be saints” mean? What is a saint according to the Bible? Why is it so comfortable for us to say, “I’m no saint”? What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God? What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

A1. Called to be holy or called to be saints means being removed from the multitude and specifically marked to serve in a specific capacity. And since the One who called us is God Himself, and He is Holy and distinct like no other, we are to emulate his character and image.  

It's so comfortable for us to say I'm no saint because most people do not understand the meaning of saint. Most assume being a saint means depicting a flawless character in yourself when in fact being a saint means created to abide in the image the True Saint, our Lord Jesus so we can be like Him.

If you've been set aside as the personal property of the living God, you are expected to serve Him and Him alone and when you become a selfless property of the Living God, by nature, you'll begin to act like Him.  

The world expect those who claim to be followers of Christ to act like Christ.   

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) “What does “called to be holy” or “called to be saints” mean?

Called to be holy means set aside something or make it suitable for ritual purposes, consecrate, dedicate. When used of people, it indicates those who have been removed from the realm of the common, and who are now set aside for God himself. The noun hagios is used in the same clause referring to the people who have been thus set apart and consecrated to God: "believers, loyal followers, saints.

A saint according to the bible is someone whom God set-apart to belong to Him. We are not saint because of our own personal perfection, "Saint" isn't a reflection on your state of perfection, but your state of ownership which means "we are owned by God alone".

Why is it so comfortable for us to say, "I'm no saint"?

Because we sin and most of the time a repeated sin, we commit mistake, we mess-up our lives and we thought that we do not deserve to be called saint. Also, sometimes we forgot that it is God who chose us and not us whose Him.

What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God?

It is expected of us to be Godlike, in thoughts, in words, and in deeds.

What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

They expect us to be like God who is loving, slow to anger, forgiving, faithful etc.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) "What does "called to be holy" or "called to be saints" mean? What is a saint according to the Bible? Why is it so comfortable for us to say, "I'm no saint"? What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God? What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

God is holy and his followers are expected to live holy lives.

A saint is one who ha been set apart or made suitable for the service of the Lord.

We feel unworthy to be called saints because of guilt due to our sinful tendencies. We should however  endeavour to live sin free lives but to run to God in repentance whenever we sin.

A person set apart is expected to live according to his calling- a holy life by our actions and lifestyles.

The world expects us to behave as we claim to be- saints in conduct and utterances.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) "What does "called to be holy" or "called to be saints" mean? What is a saint according to the Bible? Why is it so comfortable for us to say, "I'm no saint"? What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God? What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

Being a saint does not have to do with our behaviour, - being good -  as with our status.

And how did we attain our status? When we accepted Jesus as Lord, when we were baptised which itself is an answer to a call. 

By the mercy gained for us by the shedding of every drop of His blood we are saints.

Now that we are saints and heirs, in joyful acknowledgment from our inmost being we become Christ.

This is a result not a cause.

• To be called to holiness points clearly to how our salvation has made us new creatures in Christ.  We are not the same people as we were before our conversion.  2 Cor 5:17 spells this out further:  Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new".  Here, in 1 Cor 1, this new identity is shown not just to belong to us as individuals, but collectively as God's church. 

God's Word teaches us that the cross deals not only with our sin, but also with us, the sinners.  This is an amazing truth to absorb, as it will change how we perceive ourselves, and how we draw motivation to live as God's holy people.

It also means that no longer can we fall back on that old excuse of "I'm no saint" to justify our shortcomings.   We are a saint, called by God himself.  This wasn't something we gave ourselves; God graced us with this new life.  Being set apart by God, belonging now to God, we have a new reference point for our motives, thoughts and behaviour.  The question we can ask ourselves is: do they spring from our new nature, or from our old sin nature?

The world may not always feel comfortable in the presence of saints, but they expect there will be a difference.  The bridge between the saint and the world is called love.

Q1 - “What does “called to be holy” or “called to be saints” mean?

Belong to Jesus always. Of course, We are sinner, but redeemed sinners for the blood of Jesus.

Q2 - What is a saint according to the Bible? 

Separated of sin

Q3 - What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God?

Obey him.

Q4 - What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

A person good, Righteous, and kind.

All of us who read the bible are "called to be holy." This is NOT a little thing, it is a call to come closer to Christ, so He can use us in the moment. Saint or sinner, staying close, He will use us for His glory, it is for sure!

Those who believe and "attend spiritual services [church]" are God's saints. We are all sinners and fall short, but fortunately by God's grace it doesn't matter. Like a kid trying to walk, get up and try again until we can do it.

it is a good idea to study this to then recall that "we are His. we are not of this world anymore. Time to step up." 

The world expects us to be perfect which is impossible. But it awaits our failings so it can judge us badly. But there is no condemnation now that we are His. Praise God, for His love and mercy!

I think we are called to be a saint and also to be holy because god wishes that we live through example to one another.

What I got is that saintly means to be a believer and to be holy means do as God would. Forgive me for such broad answers, I'm still new but wanting to learn. I think people trend to throwing statements around in haste and that would generally tend to transform the meaning into something else... such as I am no saint- people would say this in haste to  forgive themselves for not being perfect or when they make a mistake. I think when we consciously make a decision to follow God we decide to live for him by living for others... 

I am not sure what the world expects from us as believers. I actually struggle with that question daily even before I encountered this chapter. I think compassion is one of the greatest gifts that all people desire from others. One of my biggest wishes is that I can learn to be forever compassionate to all people but not ask/expect anything in return.

We are set apart for God for a special purpose. 

It's who we are in Him.

It's an excuse.  Actually we try to compare ourselves with those in other churches who give sainthood to certain special people.

A person set apart should seek God's will and desire to be holy and righteous.

Our behavior is expected to be Christlike.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1:2) “What does “called to be holy” or “called to be saints” mean? What is a saint according to the Bible? Why is it so comfortable for us to say, “I’m no saint”? What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God? What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

1. a. Set apart ones to the Lord, sanctified, holy, cleansed,

b. All who call upon the name of the Lord for salvation,

c. Because we don't feel like a saint, we sin and are not perfect but we are saints because we belong to God.

d. We are to live for God, follow Him, depend on Him, love and obey Him.... in His strength.

e. The world expects us to be perfect, we do mess up but we go to God and He changes us.  It is not our righteousnes, but His  alone.  Not anything we do but it is His work in us bringing us to perfection.

We are not called Holy because of anything we have done, but because of what Jesus did for us on the cross.  In ourselves we are as filthy rags, but through His shed blood we are called out to be completely His to worship Him and adore Him.   Jesus is the only perfect one and when we surrender our lives to Him we are washed in the blood of Jesus and become Holy in the sight of God.  It's hard for us to think of ourselves as Holy or as Saints because we know we have sinned and still do.  We have to stop and remember the POWER that is in the Blood of the Jesus.     The world expects us to be perfect, but they don't understand that we have a Savior who is righteous and cleanses us from all unrighteousness.  It's not me that can change me but Jesua who works in me.  I am just so glad that He is still working in me.  PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME.

We are not called Holy because of anything we have done, but because of what Jesus did for us on the cross.  In ourselves we are as filthy rags, but through His shed blood we are called out to be completely His to worship Him and adore Him.   Jesus is the only perfect one and when we surrender our lives to Him we are washed in the blood of Jesus and become Holy in the sight of God.  It's hard for us to think of ourselves as Holy or as Saints because we know we have sinned and still do.  We have to stop and remember the POWER that is in the Blood of the Jesus.     The world expects us to be perfect, but they don't understand that we have a Savior who is righteous and cleanses us from all unrighteousness.  It's not me that can change me but Jesua who works in me.  I am just so glad that He is still working in me.  PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME.

To be “called to be saints” means that we belong to God. A saint according to the Bible is anybody that belongs to God. I think that the reason that it is comfortable for to say that we aren’t saints is because we have always been taught that saints are perfect Christian people.

We are expected to follow God and do the things that He wants us to do. The world expects us to be perfect and not sin because are followers of Christ. They have always got their eye on us so that they can scream and shout that Christ is dead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1.2): What does "called to be holy" or "called to be saints" mean? What is a saint according to the Bible? Why is it so comfortable for us to say, "I'm no saint"? what is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God? What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

Called to be holy and/or a saint is being set apart by God to a special relationship with Him as one who calls upon the name of our LORD Jesus Christ and that we are called alongside all others called before us everywhere who along with us call upon the name of the LORD Jesus.

We make a mistake and are misinformed by thinking that a saint is synonymous of "being perfect".  The notes confirm that we are not perfect (as the world would wrongly expect us to be) and that sainthood does not reflect perfection but rather God set us apart into this relationship.  We belong to God and it is HE who set us apart into this position/relationship.  If we accept this calling, then we are aligned with Him in personal obedience and love for Jesus.

What does "called to be holy" or "called to be saints" mean?

- By hearing and following the Lord, one is a saint. The teachings of the Lord is our salvation; by accepting his wisdom, we walk as "saints".  

What is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God?

- Since those who follow the call of Jesus Christ are no longer common -- but, are set aside for God himself -- we must live our lives as the Lord has prescribed. Through love and charity, we show are love of the Lord and our faith. These "acts" of generosity fulfill what is expected of Christians.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (1 Corinthians 1.2): What does "called to be holy" or "called to be saints" mean? What is a saint according to the Bible? Why is it so comfortable for us to say, "I'm no saint"? what is expected of a person who has been set apart as the personal property of the living God? What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ?

Called to be holy and/or a saint is being set apart by God to a special relationship with Him as one who calls upon the name of our LORD Jesus Christ and that we are called alongside all others called before us everywhere who along with us call upon the name of the LORD Jesus.

We make a mistake and are misinformed by thinking that a saint is synonymous of "being perfect".  The notes confirm that we are not perfect (as the world would wrongly expect us to be) and that sainthood does not reflect perfection but rather God set us apart into this relationship.  We belong to God and it is HE who set us apart into this position/relationship.  If we accept this calling, then we are aligned with Him in personal obedience and love for Jesus.

• 4 months later...

According to the Bible everyone, everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ are saints.  Saints a people whom God has set aside for His divine purpose.  As a saint "called to be holy", we're to live an unblameable life.  We are saints by ownership, a child of God. God tells us to be holy as He is holy.  Today it seems that it is comfortable to say, "I'm not a saint"; because we don't always remember that Jesus died so that our sins are forgiven,  Sin we are forgiven of our sins we can begin to live a "holy", "sanctified", life.   This is what God and the world expects of us, as followers of Christ, to live holy.

• 4 months later...

Called to be Holy or called to be saints is that God has personally selected us to be his. He has called us forth to live our lives according to his will for us. We are to be examples to all people. We are to hold ourselves higher in our thoughts and actions. We are to not give into simple temptations but to shine as the true children of God. We are to be an elite class of people. However, people find it a lot easier to just give into all the temptations and to live that ways of the earthly realm. They refuse to try to give up old habits to be better people.

• 3 years later...
On 2/5/2014 at 2:26 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To get the maximum benefit from this study, be sure to stop at each discussion question, which help you process and understand the most important points. If you’re in a group, discuss these questions among one another. If you’re studying by yourself, it will help you to write out your answer. If you like, then go to the online Forum with the web address that follows each question and post your answer – or at least read others’ answers. This will help you go deeper yourself!

Anyone who confesses that Jesus Christ is Lord and does the will of God, even though it’s hard with all of the temptations of the flesh.  It’s so easy to say I’m no saint because we all sin, and we all fall short of the Glory of God because of that but Jesus Christ saved us.  They are expected to be like Christ even though it’s hard, to live a Holy life in this evil world.  The world expects them to be wise, kindhearted, gentle, peaceful, truthful, not swearing, not addicted to drugs or alcohol.  

• 1 year later...

W hat does called to be Holy or called to be saints mean?

Through the sacrifice of the body of Christ we were all made Holy. When God choose Jesus Christ to be crucified for our sins his will was for us mankind to be made holy through-Christs sacrifice once for all life time. 

Why is it comfortable to say am not not a Saint?

When we base our faith on what the world perceives about us or when we agree to be carried about and tossed to and fro with every doctrine of men, we loose focus and start believing that we are not saints.Our spirit should be in the power of God and not in the wisdom of men

A saint is a person( of christian faith), who has accepted to embrace the spiritual gift (Grace) that was given to us when Jesus Christ ascended into Heaven. A saint is one who is equipped with spiritual gift which helps in carrying and ministering the work of Christ (Ephesians 4:7-13)

When one is set apart as the personal property of the living God they should live by the 10 commandments and be directed by everything that is Christ, through  their knowledge and their utterances.

What kind of behavior does the world expect of those who claim to be followers of Christ

The world expects us to uphold Christian values, obeying the 10 commandments, respect humanity and to practice the teachings of the Bible