JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (1 Corinthians 3:4-9) In what ways do denominations encourage Christian unity? In what ways do they foster disunity? Does belonging a “non-denominational” church make any difference regarding unity throughout the body? How can we tear down the barriers that divide us?

I feel denominations separate us. Many people struggle to become a part of the Christian faith and yet we don't unify we argue who wrote the Bible, what does it mean.....etc. Instead of becoming 1 as Christ presented us with the answer--Christianity instead of mini groups who think they associate with the elite. Where is the love? 

• 4 weeks later...

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

Q2. (1 Corinthians 3:4-9) In what ways do denominations encourage Christian unity? In what ways do they foster disunity? Does belonging a “non-denominational” church make any difference regarding unity throughout the body? How can we tear down the barriers that divide us?

There are all kinds of attempts for Christian unity among denominations from seminars to retreats to weekend gatherings.  I am specifically referring to thos who remain true and loyal to the "matchless Word of God", wherein there is One true God, Son and Holy Spirit.  Those efforts are Biblically correct and empahsize unity appropriately. 

Although there are legitimate reasons for denominations, that is one of the main reasons for disunity because there is quarreling and fighting to try to prove whose is the right theological way.  The only thing that matters is our relationship with the risen LORD, not to which particular denomination we may belong.

Although each Christian non-denomination or denomination can lead towards unity if they have the following in common: a personal forgiven relationship with the LORD Jesus Christ and working in sync with Him towards the unity of us all...

• 5 months later...

Denominations encourage Christian unity when they join in ecumenical fellowship with other denominations.  They foster disunity when they shut themselves off from other churches, even those within their organization.  Belonging to a non-denominational church will make no difference regarding unity throughout the body because unity must come from the heart and if the leadership is divisive then the body will be also.  We can tear down the barriers that divide by truly living a Spirit-led, Christlike life; loving each other and sharing among ourselves and they did in the early church.

• 5 months later...

Denominations cause people of like ways to bond with each other. It gives them a place to share common ideas and common interests as far as Christianity is concerned. They can come together as one to make outreach work. However, they cause people to think less about other denominations. They bicker about form and style of worship. Even different congregations within the same denomination see to view each other with distain. I do not have the answers to unite people into realizing that we all worship the same God. We all read the same bible. We all are taught the same words. they just don't seem to get it. But maybe, I can try to talk to one person at a time.

• 6 years later...

Q2. (1 Corinthians 3:4-9) In what ways do denominations encourage Christian unity? In what ways do they foster disunity? Does belonging to a "non-denominational" church make any difference regarding unity throughout the body? How can we tear down the barriers that divide us?

I guess it's time to look beyond church politics and look to Christ, who is after all the One we all follow. 

Great ideas for creating unity among the different divisions have been mentioned, eg., by Gerbrand van Schalkwyk. 

Do we really need to be separate and not brothers and sisters just because of a denomination? God is our Father and we need to act as being  a functional united family not as a dysfunctional family. 

So on arbitrary non-important points, lets agree to disagree. Other than that let's follow the Word. 

• 1 year later...

Although some Christians think that denominations are a sign of disunity, I see them as a consequence of spiritual vitality. Tepid Christians do not care enough about doctrinal differences to argue or divide, but Christians who are growing and passionate about their beliefs tend to seek congregations that are filled with people who worship and think like themselves. Thus, the very Protestant tendency to splinter and re-form is, in my opinion, a sign of spiritual vitality, not weakness. (I write this as an Anglican!)

Also, the huge push for ecumenism that took place back in the 1970s through 2000, or so, was a "progressive" reaction to the declining fortunes and congregations in the major oldline denominations. It didn't help. I'm not sure why having a Lutheran minister give the eucharist in a Presbyterian church could somehow revive that church, for example, but that seems to be what oldline denominationalists were thinking.

From the standpoint of a congregant, their own church "feels like" a stand-alone institution. Any connections with the broader denomination are far less important than the felt connections with individuals within the church. The abstract idea of the "universal church" doesn't comfort the suffering or feed the hungry, after all.  Thus, each congregation is, in practice, an independent group ... a functionally non-denominational church.

We don't need to tear down any barriers. The 1960s have ended, praise God. We need to strengthen each congregation where it is and form stronger relationships between individuals within the church.