JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Possessiveness

I do not resent “larger churches” that attract people from my church. They must not have been getting spiritual things that they needed from our church and moved on to find what they are looking for. This kind of possessiveness prevents people from growing. We stay in the church because we are getting are spiritual needs and we can’t see why others aren’t getting what they need. So of course we don’t see why they are moving on.

• 7 months later...

Q2. (John 3:26) Have you ever resented "larger churches" that attracted people from "your" church? What is wrong with this kind of possessiveness? Is it self-pity or something else?

I don’t resent it when families go to a larger church because their children need more encouragement and mentoring. But I do resent it when larger churches go out and promote themselves through flyers and try to draw away members who are already well established inn smaller churches. It is wrong to resent people who go somewhere else because they are not being fed or discipled enough. When you should be happy that they found a good church that helps them. I believe it is jealousy when you do this and selfishness instead of love and dying to self. 

• 5 months later...

Q2. (John 3:26) Have you ever resented “larger churches” that attracted people from “your” church? What is wrong with this kind of possessiveness? Is it self-pity or something else?

May be in the earlier days of my walk with the Lord, I have felt sad when people left the church to go to other churches. But now I feel there might be a bigger purpose in all that. Because God is on the throne, He can make all things work together for the good of all those involved. Paul refused to take Mark with him on his missionary journey and hence Barnabbas left Paul. Both left in opposite directions. But if we think about it, it resulted in reaching many more people, more than when both were being together. So whatever happens ultimately there will be good for all. Some may be taught in the process, some may find satisfaction in the places that they are put in, and the Holy Spirit will have something imparted to all.

It is His church, so possessiveness is not letting go as though the sheep belonged to us rather than the Lord. It could be because of grief, that the labor that had been put in to bring somebody into the kingdom had been lost. But the best mindset is to realize that we are under-shepherds of the Great Shepherd and to let go of every jealousy and possessiveness and know that God has a greater purpose for us in His heart.

• 2 months later...
On 8/7/2014 at 2:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (John 3:26) Have you ever resented “larger churches” that attracted people from “your” church? What is wrong with this kind of possessiveness? Is it self-pity or something else?

I don't believe that I have thought that, because the first church  I belonged to was a mega church  and I grew very fond of it, I found the Bible taught there and I found that the Holy Spirit lived there!

• 7 months later...

1.    Q2. (John 3:26) Have you ever resented "larger churches" that attracted people from "your" church? In my environment, No, I have not resented “larger churches” attracting people from my church. In my country the main stream churches are the Roman Catholic which is by far the largest and wealthiest, followed by the Evangelical church established by the French, then the Anglican church from our English former colonialists and lastly the Methodist church of which I am a member. What I have somewhat resented are the upstart churches termed broadly as the “Saved” category of churches that are mushrooming all over the place. Our resentment derives from the fact that these churches are established, predominantly, for personal gain by people who are not well “discipled” at all. They are in it for the money and typically spread the wealth message in a poor country such as mine.

2.     What is wrong with this kind of possessiveness? Their possessiveness is anti-Christ like. They do not even want what they perceive as competition from their assistants.

Is it self-pity or something else? It is self-aggrandizement.

• 1 year later...

This phenomenon of people church hopping is common here in NYC.   I have been too busy preaching the Gospel and fulfilling my ordination.   My concern with big churches is that they don't emphasize to their congregation that they need to get out of the four walls and preach the Gospel outdoors and in the prisons and hospitals.  Big churches and small ones here in NYC-1 Peter 2:9 is still very abstract....paid pastor and team dare not venture beyond comfy pews and the stage illuminated by fancy lights.

I am not possessive.   I really am very empathetic to new believers that aren't getting properly discipilied via small groups nor  getting One on one colloquium with a seasoned Christain.   Not being trained in evangelism is tragic.

• 3 months later...

1. Have you ever resented a "larger church" that attracted people from "your" church?

If we're talking about literal larger and smaller churches, no, I haven't, but, if we are using the term "church" to relate to ourselves (as in our body being the "church"), then yes I have, sadly, many, many times...

2. What is wrong with this kind of possessiveness?

The problem with this kind of possessiveness is that it's really just hidden pride, selfishness, and jealousy. We want us to be the most important, the "star of the show," so when somebody "abandons" or leaves us for somebody else, it gives us a sense of not being the best, and that feeling stirs up pride, jealousy, and selfishness!

3. Is it self-pity or something else?

It may be a little bit of self-pity, but more than anything, I think that it's pride, selfishness, and jealousy (like I stated above) because this feeling of "failure" only comes when others succeed and we fail, causing us to think that we are no longer useful, that important, and the "star of the show!"

THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!

• 4 months later...

John 3:26) Have you ever resented "larger churches" that attracted people from "your" church?

What is wrong with this kind of possessiveness?

Is it self-pity or something else?

No. 

Whose place of worship is it? 

Who is being worshiped? 

We are the "church", it is not the building. So if they are blessed and are being a blessing and have been placed in a different part of the vineyard, so be it. If that is where God is using them. Great. Who are we to stand in their way.