JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Rejoicing in Another's Success

Q3. (John 3:29) How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus’ success? Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry – in your church or in your community or in your denomination? Why do you think some pastors seem to compete with each other?

John the Baptist knew the calling God had placed upon His ministry and the boundaries that God had set before him. He knew that Jesus was more successful than him because God had given it to Him. He also knew that he was only a forerunner and once his ministry is over, he has to decrease and Jesus has to increase.

The proper attitude that we should exhibit is to rejoice in another’s accomplishment and be happy to be a part of the process of their accomplishment. We need to contend in what our gifts are and know our limitations. Everyone is endowed with different gifts and different administrations of those gifts. Everything is given for the glory of God and for the use in His kingdom. If we realize that we are just instruments in His hands, then we will not feel jealous in the success of others.

The carnal nature in man results in people expressing competitive spirit in such a situation. There need to be dying to self and recognizing their role in the kingdom. We need to learn a lot from John the Baptist, whom Jesus said was the greatest man alive until then. And his greatest attribute was to remain humble, herald the king and slowly retreat and give the rightful place to the King of kings.

• 2 months later...
On 8/7/2014 at 2:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (John 3:29) How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus’ success? Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry – in your church or in your community or in your denomination? Why do you think some pastors seem to compete with each other?

(1) His joy was complete, because he has fulfilled his ministry and his calling.

(2) Ir'a difficult, but I try.

(3) Because they're jealous, and worry that they'll lose their salary and their job. They're only in it  to make a living, and not to fulfill the "great commission" from Christ, to equip the Saints and to preach the Word.

• 7 months later...

1.    Q3. (John 3:29) How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus' success? For one, Jesus’ success signifies John the Baptist’s accomplishment of his mission to come ahead of Jesus to prepare for His coming. Secondly, John is acting in a godly manner because the Scripture says we are to “magnify the Lord who has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant.”

2.     Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry -- in your church or in your community or in your denomination? I do find joy, and I do envy the other churches for their good buildings and large following that contributes substantial tithes; all I can do is pray that God will bless our small church and congregation so that our church can be self-sustaining.

Why do you think some pastors seem to compete with each other? I think some pastors compete with each other because they are not well “discipled”. They consider themselves as the heads of the church, rather than Jesus.

• 1 year later...

Yes John the Baprist was deeply thrilled when Christ and His Apostles were getting more followers.  He heard from heaven; he has fulfilled his calling.

By all means!  To God be the glory when others are getting saved under a different ministry.  I am grateful that people are coming to the Lord.   Very important that their new converts grow in holiness and correct doctrine.

Some pastors just act like their counterparts in the corporate world, there is no difference.   I keep my eyes on Christ Jesus and do my assignment the best way I can.   

• 3 months later...

1. How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus' success?

John the Baptist realizes that he has done what he had to do and now, Jesus needs to become greater than him so that His plan could be complete. John finds joy in knowing that his purpose has been fulfilled.

2. Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry -- in your church or in your community or in your denomination?

Typically, I do, because at the end of the day, God's plan is being fulfilled, but sometimes, I do get slightly jealous because they become more important than me.

3. Why do you think some pastors compete with each other?

I think some pastors compete with each other because they want to be seen as the most holy, righteous, and best pastor; they think the more "better" they are, the more God loves them, however, that is far from the truth!!!

THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!

• 4 months later...

Q3. (John 3:29) How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus' success?

Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry -- in your church or in your community or in your denomination?

Why do you think some pastors seem to compete with each other?

John knows that his work is almost complered. He was there as the "forerunner". Now he was happy to see Jesus continuing. 

As the friend of the bridegroom rejoices with him so John rejoiced that the people were going to Jesus. 

It is not easy to step back when you feel your time has not run out in a specific ministry. But if you know it is time to move on, it is amazing to see the next person continue where you left off. 

When pastors compete with each other it is actually heartbreaking.