JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Inner and Outer Healing

1. Is it possible to be blessed outwardly, but lost inwardly? 

Yes, and it doesn't take much to see it! Just look at all those celebrities and famous people. They have money, clothes, cars, houses, sex, and everything this world has to offer, yet they are almost always completely miserable, depressed, and spiritually lost, not knowing Christ!

2. Why did Jesus confront the healed man in the temple with his sin?

I believe Jesus confronted the healed man in the temple with his sin because He wanted the man to heal spiritually as well and no longer dwell in sin. Also, if the man was in the temple, he was probably making some sort of sacrifice to God, and maybe by confronting the man in the temple and talking about not sinning, Jesus tried to make it clear that sacrifices don't make sinning okay, but that the sinning needs to be stopped immediately!

3. How was this necessary for a full healing, his salvation? 

Repentance and acknowledging of sin is necessary for somebody to be saved, because you can't enter Heaven full of filth. Think about it this way, your house, along with everything in it, is completely white. If you bring even the smallest speck of mud into it, the whole house will soon become filthy. Now, just imagine that that house is Heaven and that that mud is sin (thanks to #offthekirbministries). God CANNOT let you into Heaven with sin because it will ruin Heaven! Jesus confronted this man about his sin, because He not only cared about the physical body, but of the spiritual as well!!!

4. Does the man seem to respond with faith to Jesus' rebuke?

This man may have very well responded to Jesus' rebuke with faith, but if he did, we don't know of it. All we see is that he went away and told the Jewish religious leaders Who it was that had healed him. Still, i choose to believe that this man did respond to Jesus' rebuke with faith, after all, it's kind of hard not to after a miracle like this...

THANK YOU JESUSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

Q4. (John 5:14-15)

Is it possible to be blessed outwardly, but lost inwardly?

Yes. There are many with seemingly all the good things this world has to offer, but inwardly they are unhappy and lost. 

Why did Jesus confront the healed man in the temple with his sin?

Sin does in many cases also cause sickness. Many times when repenting from a (maybe hidden) sin, eg., unforgiveness or bitterness, then healing takes place. 

To me, I understand that Jesus was now  giving advice on how to stay healed spiritually and physically. 

How was this necessary for a full healing, his salvation?

Physically, the man was now well. The spiritual side now needed to be healed. 

Does the man seem to respond with faith to Jesus' rebuke?

We are not told how the man responded to Jesus'rebuke as you put it. To me, I see it as a warning. 

The answer I tend to agree with most and what I picture happened, is as Delivered has pointed out. 

There are others that are sort of on that same wave length as well Jen, Rebecca Mallinson, and Joe_Applegarth.

I do not take it that the man tittle tattled, but rather that he testified that it was Jesus who healed him. How was he to know what the Jews response was going to be?