JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Inner and Outer Healing

• 2 months later...

Q4. (John 5:14-15) Is it possible to be blessed outwardly, but lost inwardly?

Most certainly! Some of the most lost and miserable people on the planet, are deemed the most wealthy, most beautiful or handsome, or most talented .

Why did Jesus confront the healed man in the temple with his sin?

It's possible that the sickness was a result of sin, and Jesus wanted to bring the man to complete healing...body, soul and spirit, rather than ignoring the root cause.

How was this necessary for a full healing, his salvation?

A sinner must acknowledge his or her sin and repent in order to be saved. The sin was apparently the cause of the illness. Jesus is concerned about the whole person not just the physical when He heals.

Does the man seem to respond with faith to Jesus’ rebuke?

No...."the man went away and told the Jews that it was Jesus who made him well."...blamed Jesus rather than praised Jesus.

Q4. (John 5:14-15) Is it possible to be blessed outwardly, but lost inwardly? Why did Jesus confront the healed man in the temple with his sin? How was this necessary for a full healing, his salvation? Does the man seem to respond with faith to Jesus’ rebuke?

It is possible to be blessed outwardly, but lost inwardly when the is not true repentance from the heart.   Jesus confronted the healed man in the temple with his sin because he could lose his healing if he continued in sin.  This was necessary for a full healing, and his salvation because it is righteousness and spirit and truth that we maintain purity of heart and our salvation.  The man does not seem to respond with faith to Jesus’ rebuke immediately.  Immediately he went out and told the Jews that it was Jesus who healed him and told him to take up his bed.  However, he could have delayed and heeded Jesus' admonition.

God blesses whomever he pleases; it is up to us and what we do with God’s blessings that matter.

Q. Why did Jesus confront the healed man in the temple with his sin?

There is a lot I don’t understand fully in this story that leaves much to the imagination, therefore, I must be careful not to judge, or slander this invalid; As I ponder this question, I have to wonder, what was it that out of the “multitude” of people in desperate need to be made whole, that the omnipotent Son of God himself, not only singled this man out, but went over to him, here again I have to say, I do not know, what I do know is, I see God’s grace and mercy; and then when Jesus sees the man there in the Temple, I see Rabbi Jesus reaching out to him again, taking time to teach him the importance a life of righteousness must play in the life of man made whole, I see Jesus stressing the dangers sin can bring “if” this man should open that door and deliberately walk through it.

This is an important lesson for all of us who have been made whole, that we be heed the warning of Christ, that we be careful not to trample on God’s grace and mercy, that of the “Cross” and deliberately walk in sin, and then call it Salvation.

Q. Does the man seem to respond with faith to Jesus' rebuke?

I do not see the Rabbi’s teaching to be that of a rebuke, I see it as God’s grace and mercy, I see Jesus instructing this man on the importance of righteousness, do I believe his response was that of faith, I would have to guess and answer that of “Yes”.

As I recall, the people at this time were looking for the Messiah to come, and a sign they were to look for would be, he would perform miracles, this was a “HUGE” miracle, not just for this man, but for all of Israel, just as the Samaritan woman was anxious to go and testify, so does this man, I can almost picture him running, anxious to testify to the leaders, “It was Jesus who healed me, it was He that made me whole”. 

What beautiful words he spoke of God’s grace and mercy.

(John 5:14-15) Is it possible to be blessed outwardly, but lost inwardly?

It is possible to be blessed outwardly but lost inwardly. No matter what our beliefs we are all blessed with life and all the things we enjoy in life (John 3:27).

Jesus confronted the man because he needed to tell the man the truth, and warn him about where he is heading.

How was this necessary for a full healing, his salvation? Does the man seem to respond with faith to Jesus’ rebuke?

In some ways Jesus did not seem to seperate the inward from the outward-spiritual and physical. The man did not appear to repent at the time.

Q4. (John 5:14-15) 

Is it possible to be blessed outwardly, but lost inwardly? 

Does the man seem to respond with faith to Jesus' rebuke?

Yes, God blesses all people abundantly not only believers. So one can be blessed outwardly but lost inwardly. It is only when we put our faith in Jesus for the forgiveness of our sins, and for our eternal life with God, that we are blessed inwardly. Jesus had shown love and mercy to this man. However, Jesus wanted the man to understand that sin has far more terrible results than physical sickness. He did not want the man to continue living the same kind of sinful life. It is far more important to be saved than to die in our sins and be condemned to eternal wrath. I doubt if this man really understood Jesus, but then he could have later grasped what Jesus meant and have repented. 

1.  Yes it is.  It is called "Grace" and "Mercy"

Why did Jesus confront the healed man in the temple with his sin? How was this necessary for a full healing, his salvation?

2.  This was an opportunity for the man to repent and have his sins forgiven.  He had been physically healed but he needed to turn from his sins to be spiritually healed.

3.  No!  It seems that the man did not appreciate what Jesus had done.  Instead, of thanking him he went away and told the Jews that it was Jesus that had healed him.    

Look no further than the recent suicide of Robin Williams to see that's true. It's very possible to be seemingly well off, while inside you're miserable to the point of death,

Because in this instance the man's illness was the result of the ongoing sin in his life. Jesus had healed him, but there was a chance something else bad could befall him is he didn't change his ways.

Even though the man was now able-bodied, he was still bound for hell if he kept up his sinful ways. Even if nothing bad happened to him in this life from then on, he was still condemned for the way he lived.

No. He seemd to be solely concerned with keeping the authorities off his back by finking out Jesus as the man who told him to carry his mat on the Sabbath.

Is it possible to be blessed outwardly but lost inwardly?  Why did Jesus confront the healed man in the temple with his sin?  How was this necessary for a full healing, his salvation?  Does this man seem to respond with faith to Jesus rebuke?

First I will say it depends on what being blessed means.  To me being saved by the blood of Christ is being blessed, being chosen by God from before the foundation of the world.  That is being blessed.  If speaking of having the world's wealth without salvation then yes it is possible I guess.  However without Christ what blessing is there.

Jesus confronts the man in the temple to remind him to sin no more.  The mans first act was to go to the temple to give thanks to God.  Some assume it was a rebuke Jesus gave him and I assume that the Lord was cautioning him not to forget where  he was for thirty eight years and why.  And to caution him that something worse could happen if he fell back into sin.  While we are in misery we are quick to ask for God's help however when the misery is lifted how quickly we can forget.  

I don't look upon him  as tattling, he didn't know it was Christ but when he realized he acknowledged it was Christ and therefore put himself in possible harms way.  There was great hate among many of the Jews against Jesus  and they looked for a reason to kill Him and possibly anyone associated with Him. Instead he acknowledged Christ publicly.  These evil mongers wanted to kill Christ for healing a poor sick man.  They were deranged with their hate.  They could easily have turned on the healed man and clubbed him.  Did he know all this?  I don't think scripture makes it clear what was going on in his mind.  I believe the events of the one or two days were a lot for him to process and he simply spoke the truth.  It was not for  him to know what the Jews would do.  Jesus did not tell him not to say who healed him.  He simply said "sin no more".

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q4. (John 5:14-15) Is it possible to be blessed outwardly, but lost inwardly? Why did Jesus confront the healed man in the temple with his sin? How was this necessary for a full healing, his salvation? Does the man seem to respond with faith to Jesus’ rebuke?

It would be possible to be blessed or healed externally but unless we repent of our undesirable deeds and we have not given our life to Christ.

Jesus confronted the healed invalid in the temple because he knew the man was still sinning after being healed.

He wanted the healed man to stop sinning or a greater illness would befall him. Indeed he was healed physically but his heart was not healed.Thus he had not received the salvation Christ offered.

The healed man does not respond in faith that Christ had healed him, but instead blamed his sin of breaking the Sabbath on Jesus. Jesus had commanded the man to pick up his mat and go home. 

Q4. (John 5:14-15) Is it possible to be blessed outwardly, but lost inwardly? Why did Jesus confront the healed man in the temple with his sin? How was this necessary for a full healing, his salvation? Does the man seem to respond with faith to Jesus' rebuke?

Yes. This is why Jesus directed the healed [blessed] man to stop sinning or else something worst would happen to him.

Jesus wanted him to stay physically and spiritually healed by not going back to sin.

I am not sure if the man responded with faith to Jesus rebuke

(John 5:14-15) Is it possible to be blessed outwardly, but lost inwardly? Why did Jesus confront the healed man in the temple with his sin? How was this necessary for a full healing, his salvation? Does the man seem to respond with faith to Jesus’ rebuke? 

Outwardly i.e. appearances can be deceiving. As the proverb says, Don't judge a book by its cover! By all appearances, one could be seen to be blessed - job, family, material wealth, church, etc, etc. However, inwardly i.e. spiritually, we could be lost. We could be continuing in our sins and not be repentant. 

Grace without repentance is cheap grace. We would not get very far on this formula; although there are churches which seem to be growing on the basis of this message.

(John 5:14-15) Is it possible to be blessed outwardly, but lost inwardly? Why did Jesus confront the healed man in the temple with his sin? How was this necessary for a full healing, his salvation? Does the man seem to respond with faith to Jesus’ rebuke? 

Outwardly i.e. appearances can be deceiving. As the proverb says, Don't judge a book by its cover! By all appearances, one could be seen to be blessed - job, family, material wealth, church, etc, etc. However, inwardly i.e. spiritually, we could be lost. We could be continuing in our sins and not be repentant. 

Grace without repentance is cheap grace. We would not get very far on this formula; although there are churches which seem to be growing on the basis of this message.

Yes it is possible to appear blessed outwardly, but to actually be lost.  This applies to most first world countries, where people are ‘blessed’ with enough food to eat, governments which behave according to their constitutions and protect their citizens, and much more.  Yet, those are the same countries which are falling away from God with the loss of many souls. 

I think Jesus confronted the healed man as he had unfinished business.  Normally when healing somebody, Jesus immediately says, ‘your faith has saved you’ or ‘go and sin no more’.  In this case, he didn’t, which left the former invalid without guidance.  The point of Christ’s miracles is to bring us to God and save us from sin, so this was a necessary meeting. 

The passage does not tell us anything about the invalid’s reaction or future life.  We know that he spoke to the Jews, but he was himself a Jew.  I doubt if he saw himself as doing anything amiss.  We, reading the Gospels with hindsight, know that the Pharisees will become enemies to Jesus, but the invalid could not have known that.  I think it is easy to be hard on this unfortunate man, but there is too little detail to make an informed judgement.

• 4 weeks later...

It is possible to be blessed outwardly, but lost inwardly. Look at some of the people that are very rich, they are blessed outwardly, but most of them are lost inwardly.

Jesus confronted the healed man in the temple with his sin because Jesus is always trying to bring the lost to him. It is necessary to repent of our sins in order to be healed inwardly and have Jesus’ salvation. It isn’t apparent that the healed man had responded with faith to Jesus’ rebuke. He ratted on him to the leaders of the church.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (John 5:14-15)

I believed no, God blessess inwardly and outwardly, a complete blessings.

Jesus warned him to avoid being worse, or getting to hell.

Jesus want the man to believed in God who really helead him completely and saved him for going to eternal hell.

The healed man afterwards have known Jesus as the man who healed him. The action of the man after the rebuking doesn't show faith in Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

It is possible to be blessed outwardly and not inwardly. Many are blessed with material possessions, a good paying job, a nice house, a luxury car, the latest electronic toy, etc. However they aren't blessed inwardly because they have never accepted Jesus as their personal Savior.

Jesus confronted the healed man in the temple with his sin because, the man needed to repent and to stop doing the sin that had caused his condition.

The man doesn't respond with faith to Jesus' rebuke. Instead he goes tattling to the Pharisees that Jesus was the one who had healed him.

Some people are healed but pretend that they trully believe.This man had been lame, or paralyzed, and suddenly he could walk. This was a great miracle. But he needed an even greater miracle—to have his sins forgiven.

The man was delighted to be physically healed, but he had to turn from his sins and seek God’s forgiveness to be spiritually healed. God’s forgiveness is the greatest gift you will ever receive. We need not to neglect his gracious offer.

Jesus wanted to know that God had healed him and should believe in God.

• 2 months later...

I feel that people can be lost inwardly and they suffer greatly for it. They pretend to the world that they are okay. They look like they have it all together. They have what looks like the perfect life. But inside, they are really hurting. Jesus knew the heart of this man. He saw how he really was on the inside. Jesus knew this man has a very troubled soul. By Jesus confronting him, Jesus had hoped that this person would try to be better. However, this man might actually love his sinful live.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (John 5:14-15) Is it possible to be blessed outwardly, but lost inwardly? Why did Jesus confront the healed man in the temple with his sin?  How was this necessary for a full healing, his salvation? Does the man seem to respond with faith to Jesus' rebuke?

Is it possible to be blessed outwardly, but lost inwardly?  Yes, definitely!  In Matthew 23:27-28, the apostle affirms that when says: “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!  For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness.  Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.”

Why did Jesus confront the healed man in the temple with his sin?  It really doesn’t say if Jesus had followed him there or if he just happened upon him.  This much I know for certain: 1) the man did absolutely nothing to ascertain who Jesus was and 2) there was a very good reason for everything that Jesus did so I believe he knew the man would be at the temple, he knew what was in his heart and He went to the temple specifically to confront him about his sin.  Obviously this man was guilty of some, or perhaps even a multitude of sins that he hadn’t repented.  Jesus knew about his sins when he healed him but He healed him nonetheless!  When he confronted him at the temple he did so to let him know in no uncertain terms who He was, that He knew about his sin and that he had to give it up or face the possibility of far greater consequences.  John doesn’t say whether he actually did/did not repent, nor does he make any mention at all of this man’s faith in God. 

How was this necessary for a full healing, his salvation?  Jesus healed the man physically at the pool and then slipped off into the crowd.  The text leads one to believe that the invalid made no attempt to ascertain who Jesus was, nor did he offer anything in the way of thanks.  When He confronted the man about his sin at the temple he was completing the healing by healing him spiritually.  He knew the man’s heart and the sin that was contained therein and he warned him to clean up his act or face dire consequences later.  If this man actually did repent his sins and get himself immersed in baptism, the healing process would have been complete; i.e. body and soul.

Does the man seem to respond with faith to Jesus' rebuke?  I doesn’t appear that he did; John says that after His rebuke this man he went to the authorities to reveal Jesus’ identity to them.  Does that make him a Judas who turns on the only person who had done right by him?  To me there are a lot of questions that are left to one’s own interpretation.  How can we be sure that he wasn’t at the temple to worship and praise God for the miracle that healed him?  Could it be that he was so grateful that he just had to tell others who had healed him or was he perhaps witnessing the healing miracle that the Lord had done for him.  John leaves a lot to our imagination but in all honesty, I don’t believe he actually showed any particular faith in Jesus but there are enough questions in my mind that lend themselves to extending a slight benefit of doubt.

• 5 months later...

It certainly is possible to be blessed outwardly but be completely lost inwardly. God desires that we respond to His goodness toward us, but too many times that isn't the case. It's remarkable that the man took this healing for granted to the degree that he didn't even try to find the Healer and offer thanks.

We don't know why the man returned to the temple. Maybe it was just as simple as being able to go there for the first time, at least in 38 years. Jesus found him there and confronted him with profound sin because that inner corruption was the cause of his physical infirmity and the man needed to repent. We would think that 38 years of the ill health he suffered because of that sin would have been enough to humble him before God. But no amount of mere punishment can purify the heart. This man had obeyed Jesus' command to get up and walk into physical healing, but he was unwilling to obey the call to repent for spiritual healing. To refuse to listen to Christ's call to repentance is to be held even deeper in the grip of sin and miss the full healing gained in salvation. We can't afford to take the mercy and grace of God for granted. How sad that this man gave no evidence of responding to Jesus' rebuke with faith.

However, there is too much missing for me to assume that his lack of faith and repentance meant that he maliciously ran to the tell the Pharisees the identity of the Healer once he knew it was Jesus. Maybe he was unaware of their hatred for Jesus and desire to permanently “get rid of Him” and he was just genuinely thoughtless. He could have been fearfully reacting to their intimidation, or perhaps just went back to vindicate himself. Maybe he thought they had a right to know.  Maybe he was offended that Jesus called him on his sinful heart and went to tattle.  Whatever the reason, it's clear he was still oblivious to his encounter with the God who offered him forgiveness and salvation.

• 2 years later...

It is possible to be blessed outwardly but lost inwardly. Look at most of the Hollywood actors most of them are blessed outwardly but lost inwardly. Jesus confronted the healed man in the temple because he needed to repent of his sins. It is necessary to repent and be healed inwardly for his salvation. I don’t think that man responded with faith to Jesus’ rebuke.

• 7 months later...

Yes, it is because there are people in the world who are blessed outwardly but inwardly are full of sin and in need of the Lord and will never admit it because they refuse to see their need for Him. The reason being they are living in a world full of sin and they feel they don't need God. As the Scriptures states, only a fool says in his heart that there is no God.  That being said, there are many lost people in this world. Jesus confronted the healed man because the healed man was looking for sympathy and failed to realize he was fully healed. He did not want to admit that he had any sin either. It was necessary to repent and be healed inwardly through repentance for salvation however one must be willing to do so as well. I highly doubt the man responded in faith at all for he kept sinning. 

• 1 year later...

1.    Q4. (John 5:14-15) Is it possible to be blessed outwardly, but lost inwardly? Absolutely! This man received tremendous blessing - being healed of a sickness of 38 years without praying for it and without expressing gratitude for it. And he remained faithless.

2.     Why did Jesus confront the healed man in the temple with his sin? Jesus is Grace. He had to finish his assignment of healing the man both physically and spiritually, and finish it to perfection, without any blemish. It would be useless for the man to be healed bodily and still be a candidate for hell- eternally.

3.     How was this necessary for a full healing, his salvation? This was necessary for a full healing because the Apostle Paul says in Romans 6:23, "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Does the man seem to respond with faith to Jesus' rebuke? This man is really blessed to have been followed up by Jesus. In my human weakness I would have told this man in very harsh terms what an ungrateful dog he was.

• 1 year later...

Yes, sad but true, to be blessed outwardly but devoid of spiritual graces.   How many people who have been genuinely healed at a church service or through medical means; they stilled remained in a lukewarm or unconverted state.   Some unfortunately apostasized: St Paul lamented how certain associates went back into the world and forsook him.

Jesus wanted to do essential follow-up.   Being in the Temple was an appropriate place to give this healed man proper instructions; Christ wanted this man to be truly converted;  Christ did not want this man to go back to the old life that caused him so much grief.   For many years,   

This man had his attention on the movement of the waters and the daily struggles of life; Christ wanted this man to put his faith in Christ as Messiah, Son of God and Son of man.  Christ wanted this man to be truly saved.    Physical healing was part of the process but to have complete true life--zoe-divine spiritual life--in Christ Jesus. Christ--Son of God-eternal life.