JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Eating the Bread of Life

“Eating the Bread of Life” means in practical terms that we and believing and living for Jesus. I think that nibbling the Bread of life means that we read the bible occasionally and go to church once in a while but don’t really turn our lives over to God.

• 7 months later...

Q4. (John 6:35-51) What does the metaphor of “eating the Bread of Life” mean in practical terms? To extend the same metaphor, what do you think might be the difference between nibbling the Bread of Life rather than actually making a meal of it?

These verses speak of the spiritual hunger that all of us feel when we first meet the Lord and realize we need Him. The hunger can only be filled by the Lord's word daily. Without eating and feasting on the Bread of Life Itself we are unable to fill the hole inside of ourselves at all. The Lord is the Living Bread of Life and that means He gives us eternal life through his death. The ones who choose to eat of the bread of Christ will live eternally. 

Nibbling would be you just read a verse in the Bible and read your devotions and go your way and do nothing more. While making a feast of it would be reading Scripture, and memorizing it and thinking upon it and praying it and changed from inside out.

• 2 years later...

Eating the Bread of Life is being formed in Christ.    Apostle Paul brings this out splendidly.    I am complete in Christ;  I am part of the mystical Body of Christ;  baptized into Christ.   Eternal life dwells within me:   a temple of the Holy Spirit.   Yet I am being saved;  day by day I mortifying the flesh and live in holiness all day long.  The word in Greek is theosis. We are being sanctified each day;  we count the old life as dead, we are going from glory to glory.   

Nibbling is not conducive to spiritual growth.    We must be very serious to have a spiritual regula; a disciplined Christain lifestyle.   Each day is Bible devotions and prayer.   If possible we should be diligent in frequent reception of Holy Communion.   Also being faithfull in our ministries is very important to a mature Christain lifestyle;  God will  bless us as we go about doing spiritual and charitable works of mercy.

• 9 months later...

Q4. (John 6:35-51)

What does the metaphor of "eating the Bread of Life" mean in practical terms?

To extend the same metaphor, what do you think might be the difference between nibbling the Bread of Life rather than actually making a meal of it?

Eating the "Bread of Life" means believing in the Son of God. (To believe in Him, we need to hear or learn about Him. This comes from consuming His Word)

I guess the nibbling would be sitting on the fence as it were. Having many doubts and not be fully committed.  (Reading the Word now and again and not fully accepting and yet also not wanting to totally let go).