JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Hard Sayings

It is always difficult to tell bad things that may happen to another person.  Daniel is certainly afraid to reveal the meaning of the dream to king Nebuchadnezzar, especially when he knows that is a bad sign.  He cannot lie to the king and he fears that the king may not accept the truth.

The same fear should happen to us when we see bad things coming to our brethren, or revealing the truth of their iniquities.  People do not always accept the truth that reveals their faults or their imperfection.  They may take our words for an offence, or our words may demoralise them.

Life is a process of learning, so everyone learns faster when making mistakes and have to endure the bad consequences.  When the consequence of the mistake is not life threatening, I would prefer to let people get the experience of their mistakes.  I only tell the truth to them if I know they are ready to listen and welcome my words.

Q1. (Daniel 4:10-20) Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar's dream? Why? Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters? What can we do about it?

When Daniel understood Nebuchadnezzar’s dream, he was stunned, and he wondered how to break the news. He told the king he wished what the dream foreshadowed would happen to the king’s enemies and not to Nebuchadnezzar. Daniel be so deeply grieved at the fate of Nebuchadnezzar—the king who was responsible for the destruction of Daniel’s home and nation? Daniel had forgiven Nebuchadnezzar, and so God was able to use Daniel. Very often when we have been wronged by someone, we find it difficult to forget the past. We may even be glad when that person suffers. Forgiveness means putting the past behind us. Can you love someone who has hurt you? Can you serve someone who mistreated you? Ask God to help you forgive, forget, and love. God may use you in an extraordinary way in that person’s life!

One of the most difficult lessons to learn is that God is sovereign. He is above all of those who are above us. He limits the power and authority of all the government, business, and religious leaders in the world. Those who live in freedom and with a relatively high degree of autonomy find this difficult to understand. While we may feel as though we are free to do what we please, God is sovereign over all of our plans and desires.

Q1. (Daniel 4:10-20) Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar's dream? Why? Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters? What can we do about it?

1. Yes

2. Daniel was perplexed because he wished the dream did not apply to Nebuchadnezzar.

3. We do not want to hurt them. They might want to hurt us.

4. We can pray and ask God to give us strength.

Q1. (Daniel 4:10-20) 

Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar's dream? 

Why? 

Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters? 

What can we do about it?

The Holy Spirit must have given Daniel the meaning of the dream almost at once. I don’t think Daniel was afraid to interpret the dream; he was more concerned about the consequences this would have on the king and on himself, and his fellow Jews. He realized that the dream’s interpretation would displease the king and he must have been momentarily dumbfounded about what he had to tell the king. Daniel must have become attached to Nebuchadnezzar and now he had to pronounce this awesome and terrifying judgment upon this man who had treated him justly and had even promoted him to a position of great influence. When it comes to being honest with fellow believers, I feel that a truly good friend will openly correct you. (Psalm 27:5). It is better to correct or reproof than being too timid to say the needed thing. For if done in the right way and for the right reasons it is an act of love. We read in Ephesians 4:25: “Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbour, for we are all members of one body”. Keeping quite is no love at all. 

Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar's dream? 

Why? 

Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters? 

What can we do about it?

The Holy Spirit must have given Daniel the meaning of the dream almost at once. I don’t think Daniel was afraid to interpret the dream; he was more concerned about the consequences this would have on the king and on himself, and his fellow Jews. He realized that the dream’s interpretation would displease the king and he must have been momentarily dumbfounded about what he had to tell the king. Daniel must have become attached to Nebuchadnezzar and now he had to pronounce this awesome and terrifying judgment upon this man who had treated him justly and had even promoted him to a position of great influence. When it comes to being honest with fellow believers, I feel that a truly good friend will openly correct you. (Psalm 27:5). It is better to correct or reproof than being too timid to say the needed thing. For if done in the right way and for the right reasons it is an act of love. We read in Ephesians 4:25: “Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbour, for we are all members of one body”. Keeping quite is no love at all. 

Astonied - To be taken by surprised. 1). Daniel was not afraid, he was troubled. 2). He was troubled because the interpretation would not be a good one. 3). I don't have a problem saying hard things that need to be stated. 4). Does not apply.

I don’t think that Daniel is actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar’s dream but he is concerned about him. It wasn’t a pleasant dream and Daniel wasn’t the one that wanted to break the bad news to him.

I am afraid to say the bad things to my brothers and sisters because I am afraid to hurt their feelings. This is true if things seem to be going good with them. I just don’t want to bust their bubble.

Q1. (Daniel 4:10-20) Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar’s dream? Why? Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters? What can we do about it?

I would not say that Daniel was afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar’s dream, but rather hesitant because he did not want to be brash and inconsiderate to the fate of Nebuchadnezzar.  God had revealed to Daniel what lies ahead for the king and he chose to reveal the interpretation cautiously. We, sometimes, are placed in the same predicament; we know we must tell someone something that will cause them anxiety or pain so we do so with compassion.

Q1. (Daniel 4: 10-20) Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar's dream?

• Yes, Daniel was not only afraid, but he was also "greatly perplexed" and "terrified".

Why?

• Because of the following reasons:
  1. Those who bring bad news to the king are often killed.
  2. Daniel had grown fond of the king and he was shocked about what was going to happen to him.
  3. Daniel wondered what would happen to the kingdom and the king's fortunes when the king becomes incapacitated.

• Very few people take hard talk negatively even if it is constructive criticism or a caution and most of us do not want to absurd others. Most of the times we do not want to be in the bad books of other people because we want to be liked.

What can we do about it?

• It is proper to tell others those hard things especially if it is for their own good. All we need to do is to ask God to give us courage and words to use and we should also ask God to soften the hearts of the people we have to tell hard things so that they can see that out motives are meant to help them and not to humiliate them.

Q. Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar's dream? Why?

A. In a way he is because of the possibility of being killed bringing bad new to a king. Furthermore, is not sure of his fate if the king is banished.

Q.  Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters?

A. usually because of the fear of the bad consequences to us.

Q. What can we do about it?

A. Pray for boldness and wisdom to say such hard things to our brothers and sisters 

Q1. (Daniel 4:10-20) Is Daniel actually afraid to interpret Nebuchadnezzar's dream? Why? Why are we afraid to say the hard things that must be said to help our brothers and sisters? What can we do about it?

When Daniel understood Nebuchadnezzar’s dream, he was stunned, and he wondered how to break the news. He told the king he wished what the dream foreshadowed would happen to the king’s enemies and not to Nebuchadnezzar. How could Daniel be so deeply grieved at the fate of Nebuchadnezzar—the king who was responsible for the destruction of Daniel’s home and nation? Daniel had forgiven Nebuchadnezzar, and so God was able to use Daniel.

Very often when we have been wronged by someone, we find it difficult to forget the past. We may even be glad when that person suffers. Forgiveness means putting the past behind us. Can you love someone who has hurt you? Can you serve someone who mistreated you? We ask God to help us forgive, forget, and love. God may use anyone in an extraordinary way in a person’s life!

• 2 weeks later...

1a   Daniel is worried and perplexed. Is not sure how the King will take the interpretation.  He is powerful and quite quick tempered or volitile. he is properly wondering what punishment is he in for.

B)  We are smoetimes to say what is not always popular, or the hard things to say, because we would like to be popular. We want people to like us.   And our brothers and sister do not want to hear something that will make them rethink or change their lives.  change can be hard.

c) we need always, as Daniel did, answer or tell the hard things prayerfully and with love.  We need to do things in a gentle but firm manner.  We also need to listen to Gods word and not judge from our point of view but from God.

Yes Daniel is anxious about the Kings reaction. Nobody wants to be the bearer of bad tidings - that too to a king who is quick to anger and has such a big ego. Besides, there were instances I the past when people were punished for not 'pleasing the king, there was no way to know how the king would react to an honest answer - therefore it must have been difficult for Daniel.

Humans are unpredictable. There's no way of knowing how somebody will react to bad news or something they don't really want to hear. The truth is often bitter and no one wants to be the bearer of that bitter truth. It might make us lose favor with that person and we want to be popular and liked.

We should pray for a sign or divine intervention- God will lead the way. We should remember that we are his instruments and he is our maker

I don't think Daniel was afraid to tell the king the interpretation of the dream with its dreadful warning about the king's own future.  He had the same faith in the same God that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego had:  The God of Israel was able to deliver them from any trouble, and so, even if He didn't deliver them from the current troubles, they would still trust Him and worship Him and serve Him only.  Daniel was not wanting to tell the king the interpretation of this dream God had sent him because he had forgiven the king for his sins against Israel and Judah and so, was not looking for revenge, as Stanley T wrote in post 27. 

I find it difficult to say hard things like warnings and rebukes to other believers and even nonbelieving friends and family members because I don't want them to turn against me and then to influence others to also reject me, ostracize me, and drive me away since I am not trying to destroy our relationships.  I am concerned that they won't even think about what I am saying to figure out if there is any truth to it and instead will just end our relationship with hostility.  I think that the risk of losing the relationship is the real reason that I rarely speak up about the difficult things.  This means I care more about our relationship here on earth, which will be temporary, than I do for his/her relationship with God, which will be eternal, and that I care more about myself than I care about him/her.

I must change my thinking and my values and firmly determine that the other's relationship with God is much more important than our earthly relationship.  And I must put my obedience to God and His glory above my earthly relationships with other people.  I cannot do this on my own; so, I must plead with God to enable me and empower me to do so.

• 11 months later...

Daniel was afraid to tell Nebuchadnezzar the interpretation of the dream. Knowing Daniel's character it seems he was afraid for the king and not so much for himself. Daniel has worked for the king since he was a teenager and apparently has developed a relationship with him. of course it is always hard to tell people we care about hard things. These usually invoke strong emotions and pain. We do not enjoy seeing people we love hurt, even if it is for their own good. Not sure there is anything we can to stop the hard things from happening as they are generally out of our control. We just have to make sure they know we are there to love them, to support them, to help them, and most of all God is there for them.