JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Acknowledging God's Sovereignty

1). It means that God, His Son, and their angels rule everything in the heaven and earth. We as earthings are puppets. 2). Nebuchadnezzar on some level thought he was God. 3). Many times we often attempt to control each situation, as we have a problem with letting go and letting God. 4). We deny the power of God, by striving on our own accord to handle all situations.

Q2. (Daniel 4:23-26) What does it mean to "acknowledge that Heaven rules"? In what ways is this hard for a king? In what ways is this hard for us? How do we sometimes deny by our actions that God is in charge of all?

It means no longer saying "I did this or I did that" but that the Lord gave me the strength or power or whatever to do something.  It is all because of Him and it is all because He allowed it.

Pride and arrogance. 

I get caught up in the day and don't acknowledge that I need His help.  In other words I take my eyes off Him and put them on whatever is on my mind or in front of me.  Always a mistake.

When we do not acknowledge Him in our thoughts and hearts, in our prayers we deny Him.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

The meaning of “acknowledge that Heaven rules” is that God, the ruler of heaven, made all things and all things are under his power. The king thought that he was in control of all things because he had built some beautiful building therefore he was in control of all things. Our actions sometimes show that we think that we are in charge especially when something goes especially well.

Q2. (Daniel 4:23-26) What does it mean to “acknowledge that Heaven rules”? In what ways is this hard for a king? In what ways is this hard for us? How do we sometimes deny by our actions that God is in charge of all?

To “acknowledge that Heaven rules” is to submit to the sovereignty of God.  This may be hard for a King to relinquish sovereign rule to another, especially One who is mightier that he.  This is also hard for us, in that we sometimes like being seen to be in control of situations.   So we sometimes deny, by our actions, that God is in charge of all when we fail to honor Him in all that we do.

Q 2. (Daniel4:23-26)

What does it mean to "acknowledge that Heaven rules"?

• To "acknowledge that Heaven rules" is to accept that God is sovereign over everything and to totally submit to Him.

In what ways is it hard for a king?

• It is hard for the king to accept this because he has always been I control of other people and got what he wanted. He is too proud to realise that there is someone greater than him.

In what ways is it hard for us?

• We sort of believe that our worldly knowledge is enough for us to go about our daily work and our projects. We forget that God is there for us to consult.

How do we sometimes deny by our actions that God is in charge of all?

• We often do things our own way without first telling God about our plans and inviting Him to show us direction. We implement our worldly knowledge without consulting our Creator, Sustainer and Provider!

Q2. (Daniel 4:23-26)

Q. What does it mean to "acknowledge that Heaven rules"?

A. It means that the Lord God rules from heaven

Q. In what ways is this hard for a king?

A. Because he believes that all his achievements were his personal effort and not God's empowerment.

Q. In what ways is this hard for us? How do we sometimes deny by our actions that God is in charge of all?

A. We sometimes wrongly attribute our achievements to our efforts, power, wisdom etc and do not attribute such achievements to God. But He will not share His glory with us.

Lesson 4 Question 2

To acknowledge that heaven rules one has to acknowledge in his mind and heart and voice with his mouth that God rules, that is that God is sovereign. This is of course difficult for everyone because of our inherent pride but particularly for a king who is not used to acknowledging that anyone else is sovereign. Every time we disobey God's commands and rebel against him we are declaring that we are in charge.

Q2. (Daniel 4:23-26) What does it mean to "acknowledge that Heaven rules"? In what ways is this hard for a king? In what ways is this hard for us? How do we sometimes deny by our actions that God is in charge of all?

Although much of the world thought that Nebuchadnezzar was a mighty (even divine) king, God demonstrated that Nebuchadnezzar was an ordinary man. The king would go insane and become like an animal for a set period of time (“seven periods of time”). God humiliated Nebuchadnezzar to show that almighty God, not Nebuchadnezzar, was Lord of the nations.

No matter how powerful a person may become, self-centered pride will push God from his or her life. Pride may be one of the most dangerous temptations you will face. Don’t let your accomplishments cause you to forget God.

• 2 weeks later...

What it means to "acknowledge heaven rules" is, accepting that God is sovereign over the kingdoms of man.

In a way this is hard for the king because, he believes he is ruler of Babylon because of his own personal qualities. Also he prides himself on his accomplishments.

In a way this is hard for us because we like to think of ourselves as self sufficient.

We sometimes deny by our actions that God is in charge by going ahead and doing what we think is best in a situation instead of bringing it before the Lord in prayer.

To "acknowledge that Heaven rules" to me means that you accept the God is the Almight God and the only God.  That He is all powerful and that He has power beyound anything that we could possible understand or imagine.  All that the King had to do was acknowledge that he sinned and that he wouldask God to forgive him and he would help the people.

This is extremely hard for the King as he feels he is all powerful.  That what he says goes. To humble himself would be to admit that he is not as powerful as he would want the people to think.  I agree with some of the previous members of this group that the king was also filled with Pride. He did not want admit that he was actually human.

We to become full of pride and want to appear all powerful.  If we are in positions of "power", such as a manger we want people to think that we cannot make mistakes. That what we say goes.  If you put yourself int he position of power that it is hard to take a fall then be careful because like the King we can be brought back to earth with a bump.

We do this so easily, we puff ourselves up, and don't ask for God's guidance and just blunder ahead and then when things go wrong we ask why.

• 1 year later...

We understand and accept the God is supreme over the entire universe, by His will alone. Nebuchadnezzar's pride is his undoing. Pride leads him into rebellion against God. Pride leads Nebuchadnezzar to think he and he alone is responsible for the greatness of Babylon. Because of his pride Nebuchadnezzar cannot bow to anyone. Just like Nebuchadnezzar our pride makes it hard for us to relinquish control. Being proud and boastful puts blinders on us and doesn't let us see God's hand in our lives. Many times we want to take credit and overlook God. Paul called himself a wretched man because he could not overcome the law of sin. We must continually fight the battle to put God first.