JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Repentance

1). Nebuchadnezzar needs to humble himself, repent, turn from his wicked ways, and turn to God. 2). I need to deny myself, pick up my cross, and blindly follow Christ. 3). It means to be merciful, as well as giving to charity. The Bible states, "the poor we will have with us always." 4). Yes,it is within my ability. 5). I do not believe God's decrees to be conditional nor negotiable.

Q3. (Daniel 4:27)  What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins? What must you do to demonstrate that you repent of your sins? For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor? That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar's ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability? In what way can God's decrees be conditional?

I like the verse in Micah 6:8  He has showed you, O man, what is good, and what does the Lord require of you?  To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

It is in all of us to be kind to the poor.  Everyone is to be treated with respect for God is not a respecter  of persons.

If we turn from our wicked ways, say we are sorry, ask God for forgiveness it is possible He will act on our behalf.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q3. (Daniel 4:27) What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins? What must you do to demonstrate that you repent of your sins? For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor? That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar’s ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability? In what way can God’s decrees be conditional?

To demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins, Nebuchadnezzar must now acknowledge to himself and publicly that God is sovereign over all and he must also get down of his lofty throne and humble himself and become generous to the poor in his kingdom.  We to must repent of our sins and publicly declare that Jesus Christ is Lord of our lives.  As we live in the commandments of God we will follow His admonishment to be kind to the poor.  This was indeed within Nebuchadnezzar’s ability to accomplish and with God's grace to provide for us, we too can be generous to the poor. God’s decrees be conditional when we repent of that which would otherwise bring judgment.

Nebuchadnezzar must start treating people right in order to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins. We must confess our sins and change the ways that we are going. For us to be kind to the poor means to help them in any way that we can. It is in my ability to accomplish this one person at a time. God has always had do us things so that we can help ourselves. If we do them then He is there helping us.

Q 3.

• Nebuchadnezzar should confess his sins and break away from his past sinful ways - repent.

• I should cease to live like I did before coming to Christ and show by my works  of mercy and compassion that I am a new creation and a born again Christian.

• For us to be kind to the poor means that we should try by all means to assist those who are less fortunate than ourselves.

• Actually that is what I am doing now by assisting the orphans in a near by orphanage.

• God's decrees may be conditional when we hear his caution and turn back from the sin we were doing, humbling ourselves and acknowledging that He is our Almighty God in control of our lives.

Q3. (Daniel 4:27)

Q. What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins?

A. He must humble himself, return to the Lord, stop sinning and do what  is right.

Q. What must you do to demonstrate that you repent of your sins?

A. We must do as stated above for the king.

Q. For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor?

A. Help the needy with our substance and regard them in their low esteem as children of God. Don't maltreat them.

Q. That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar’s ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability? In what way can God’s decrees be conditional? 

A. Yes. The need to return to Him in humility and stop doing wrong is sometimes expected by god before He forgives us or grant our requests.

Lesson 4 Question 3

I believe that to repent the king is asked to break off from his previous actions - to be sorry for what he did and to stop doing it. Additionally, is asked to administer justice by treating the poor and unfortunate fairly. We too when we repent must not only be sorry within ourselves for what we've done, but we must be ready to plan and execute the plan to rectify what we have done and to demonstrate by our actions that we are truly repentant.

To be kind to the poor for us is to administer justice - to treat them fairly and to possible help rectify the problems that they find themselves in. It may be impossible for us to rectify the situation, but we must strive to find ways to comfort and encouraged.

From our standpoint God always asks us to respond and obey his command to love our neighbor. In so doing he does provide the greatest reward, that is, to know that we belong to him and are loved by him.

Q3. (Daniel 4:27)  What must Nebuchadnezzar do to demonstrate that he renounces and repents of his sins? What must you do to demonstrate that you repent of your sins? For us, what does it mean to be kind to the poor? That was certainly within Nebuchadnezzar's ability to accomplish. Is it within your ability? In what way can God's decrees be conditional?

Daniel pleaded with Nebuchadnezzar to change his ways, and God gave Nebuchadnezzar 12 months to do it. Unfortunately, there was no repentance in the heart of this proud king, and so the dream was fulfilled.

Man was created in the image of God (Gen. 1:26-27; 5:1,3; 9:6). Mankind was created for fellowship with God. All of creation is a stage or backdrop for God and mankind’s interaction. God wanted His highest creation, mankind, to know Him, love Him, serve Him, and be like Him! Mankind’s loyalty was tested (Gen. 3) and the original couple failed the test. This resulted in a disruption of the relationship between God and humanity (Gen. 3; Rom. 5:12-21).

However, God requires a covenantal response. God decrees freely, gives and provides, but humans must respond and continue to respond in 1. repentance 2. faith 3. lifestyle obedience 4. perseverance

• 2 weeks later...

What Nebuchadnezzar must do to demonstrate he has renounced and repented of his sins is, he has to show kindness and be willing to help the poor and needy in his kingdom..

What I must do to demonstrate that I have repented of my sins is, to turn away from the sins I have repented of.

We may not be rich like Nebuchadnezzar was, but we can still help those who are poor and needy. We can donate food to local food banks and give money to ministries that help feed the hungry like Salvation Army of Feeding America.. For the past several years the church I attend has taken part on Operation Christmas Child. We collect schools supplies, hygiene items, toys, books, etc to send to kids in need in other parts of the world.

God's decrees can be conditional when He has commanded us to obey them.

• 2 weeks later...

apart from repenting and renouncing verbally he must stop sinning, be kind to the poor and needy also recognise the sovreighnty of God.

i must stop the negative actions and be led by the Holy spirit

being kind to the is in giving, caring, serving  etc

God`s decrees can be conditional if we repent

• 2 weeks later...

King Nebuchadnezzar could definitely have been merciful to those oppressed by him, his officials, and others in his kingdom, or at least  he could have tried.  If in doing so, he offended too many of his underlings, they might have revolted and overthrown him, replacing him with one who would have let them continue oppressing their fellow coutnrymen for their advantage.  Sadly, oppressors often think like Ayn Rand the novelist that only they, the most powerful and wealthiest people in the community, are valuable, and everyone else exists to be exploited, chewed up, used up, spit out, and replaced, for the benefit of the oppressors.  So, Nebuchadnezzar could have been merciful to the oppressed but it would have required a total change in his mindset and beliefs as well as in those of his officials who would have had to carry out his new commands.  He would have needed a lot of help from God!  And that was what God wanted from him:  a complete change in his beliefs that led to a change in his commands and actions AND a corresponding change in his officials for the sake of the oppressed.   It would have been a wonderful thing for all of Babylon.

God's decrees, both promises and threats, are often conditional:  If you disobey and sin, God will punish you, but if you sin and repent and cease sinning, God will not punish you or at least not so severely.  Examples:

1)  Jonah:  God sent the prophet Jonah to warn the people of Nineveh, Assyria, that their empire would be destroyed.  When the people and the king repented of their sins, God "relented" (changed his mind, some say) and did not destroy them.  I don't think God changed His mind; I think the complete message to Nineveh was " If you do not repent of your sins and change your ways,  I will destroy you, but if you do repent of your sins and change your ways,  I will not destroy you"  because that is exactly what happened.   God does not lie and God does not change His plans.

2)  2 Chronicles 7:13-14  In response to Solomon's prayer at the dedication of the Temple in Jerusalem, God promised that if the people sinned and He sent drought or a locust swarm or a plague to afflict their farmland and if they then repented of their sins, humbled themselves, stopped sinning, and turned to Him, He would forgive their sins and heal their farmland.  It can be inferred that if they did not repent of their sins, God would not heal their farmland and they would continue to suffer hunger.

So, warnings and promises from God come with two possible outcomes:  obey God and ... or disobey God and ....  I think that is because God allows us to choose or at least think we are choosing our response to His command and uses these either-or situations to demonstrate His character attributes of agape-love, compassion, mercy, and kindness on one hand and righteousness, goodness, purity, just-ness, and hatred of sin and evil on the other hand. 

Nebuchadnezzar found out the hard way that God always means what He says.  May we take God seriously and respond as He wants; it will be a blessing for us.

• 11 months later...

Nebuchadnezzar must renounce his sins and start doing what is right. We must accept Jesus. We must help the poor and not forget them. As Nebuchadnezzar was given a prophetic dream Daniel advised him to repent of his sins. Daniel advised that God may relent if Nebuchadnezzar follows his advice. If Nebuchadnezzar has humbled himself before God the result might have been different.