JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Tricky Pride

Q4. (Daniel 4:30; 5:18-21) 

How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life? 

In what ways does it show up in your life? 

Pride is tricky. 

How can pride mask itself with humility?

We see Nebuchadnezzar bragging about his own accomplishments. While walking in his palace, he arrogantly boasted, “Just look at this wonderful capital city that I have built by my own power and for my own glory!" (4:30). He was obsessed with his own magnificence. We know that he had achieved many great things during his reign, but he did not recognize God in these accomplishments, nor was any of these things done to glorify God. Humility requires the lowering or lessening of oneself – traits which the king never displayed. I also battle sometimes with the sin of pride. Boasting about my own achievements – as if anything can be done without the help of my Heavenly Father, the Lord Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. We get lured into thinking we can do things without God, and we land up depending on ourselves rather than on God. Pride also undermines our faith. We don’t have that close relationship with our Lord Jesus. We tend to forget that all things are in God's hands; from the breath we breathe to the very next heart beat – we live moment by moment depending on Him. Sometimes we cover our pride with a false humility, but this is easily exposed. 

1). Nebuchadnezzar discussed his accomplishments minus giving God the Glory. 2). I can be a control freak. I have to learn to let go and let God. 3). Pride is subtle and hides itself. Pride began in the garden of Eden with Adam when he hid from God. There are many ministers who are prideful but want us to think they are humble.

Q4. (Daniel 4:30; 5:18-21) How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life? In what ways does it show up in your life? Pride is tricky. How can pride mask itself with humility?

​I can just see Nebuchadnezzar walking around on his roof glorying in all 'his' achievements.  It reminds me of the story in the gospels (Luke 12:20) where the rich man says I have all I need and I have done this and that and my barns are filled, and the Lord says this very night your soul will be required of you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself.  It also reminds me of the AARP commercial with the lady in her 60's walking down a path and very confidently saying I have a long life ahead of me and plenty of plans without a thought of God or any calamity befalling her.

Pride has a way of showing up in all our lives, we go around speaking humble and then some boastful thought comes into our mind about how good we are.  We have an incurable disease while we are on this earth with our sin nature and if we are not mindful in the things of God, confessing, prayer, reading the Word we are going to fall.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q4. (Daniel 4:30; 5:18-21) How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar’s life? In what ways does it show up in your life? Pride is tricky. How can pride mask itself with humility?

Pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life as he declared that it was by his strength that build the city.  He said: ""Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?" (4:30)  Pride can rear its ugly head in my life when I take credit for what God is doing through me.  Pride can mask itself with humility by one saying, without sincerity, "Praise the Lord" when we are congratulated for doing something, considered to be great.

Nebuchadnezzar was walking around and looking at the things that he had commanded to get completed and thinking to himself what a great person. He thought he had everything in control. This same thing can show up in my life when I think that I have accomplished everything on my own. Only I know that it was God that has made things possible. Pride can mask itself with humility when we look humble but our actions show otherwise.

Q 4.

• Pride showed itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life through the following:
  1. He had many achievements and he thought it was because he was intelligent. He gave credit to himself and not to God Almighty.
  2. He was proud because he was feared by almost everybody and no one dared to challenge him.
  3. He was proud because he had an absolute authority and could do anything he wanted.
  4. He was too proud to think like a human being.
  • In my life pride can show when I want to do good works so that people can praise and love me. It can show when I want to take the leading role in all activities and be domineering.
  • Pride can mask itself with humility because it is tricky when we appear as if we are nice and soft and yet we have ulterior motives. We appear humble and yet deep down we have evil thoughts and plans.

Q4. (Daniel 4:30; 5:18-21)

Q. How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life?

A. Puff up with pride, he attributes the great achievement he recorded and his great power as his own making and not from God who enabled him.

Q. In what ways does it show up in your life?

A. Whenever we think and act in a way that says "we did it" instead of saying that God enabled us to do it. 

Q. Pride is tricky. How can pride mask itself with humility?

A. In our testimonies to others, we may inevitably claiming the credit for what God has done for us.

Q4. (Daniel 4:30; 5:18-21) How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life? In what ways does it show up in your life? Pride is tricky. How can pride mask itself with humility?

“the king reflected and said” Pride has always been the major problem of fallen humanity (Gen. 3; Isa. 14; Ezek. 28). This king had much to be proud of, as he is known from the Babylonian Archives as a great builder. Babylon’s Hanging Gardens were one of the Seven Wonders of the World.

Nebuchadnezzar exercised total control over a large part of the ancient Near East. He thought he was in a position of authority until the God of Judah stepped in.God is in control of our lives. He is the controller of events, kings, and nations. We should not have pride in ding his work.

• 3 weeks later...

It shows itself in his lack of change.  In the way he carried on living after he had been warned.

By not always slowing down to Thank God for His blessings in my life.  Just thinking how great I am

There is a pride in how we look and act,  this can be were we also reachout to others and lift them up without expecting anything in retrun. .  Then there is the pride that lets everyone know how great we are. The arrogant Pride. As my children would say the stick your nose in the air pride. Were we think we are better than others.

• 1 year later...

Pride shows itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life in his achievements, his terrible power, his absolute authority, and his hardened heart. Nebuchadnezzar has become self-absorbed. Pride has shown up in my life in my attitude of self righteousness. Pride makes one believe they are more important than others and forget God. Humility can disguise pride when it is used to make one look righteous. Pride is something to be tempered as God will humble us.