JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Preparing for Prayer

Daniel 9:3-4a) What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays? How does he prepare? Why is this so important in this case? In what ways might you and I prepare for intercession?

Daniel comes to God in a humble manner he "sets his face toward God". He fasts and dresses in sack cloth and ashes to have a humble attitude to pray that God would complete His work. I believe to intercede we need to strip away the outside busyness and "set our face toward God". The act of fasting and humbling ourselves before God helps us to hear from Him and receive the answer to our prayer.

What is Daniel’s demeanor as he prays?

Humility, surrender, talking to a greater power. 

How does he prepare?

By putting on sackcloth - by drenching his body with ashes - by focusing his mind on the love of God.

Why is this so important in this case?

God is the creator - we are the created,  God is all powerful and can do anything for one who is humble.

In what ways might you and I prepare for intercession? 

By getting on our knees and bowing our head - by reading scripture - by focusing our minds on the love of God

Daniel's demeanor as he prays is an attitude of humility and repentance.

Daniel prepares by fasting as well as wearing sackcloth and ashes as a sign of mourning.

This is important in this case because Daniel was preparing to stand in the gap for Israel and intercede for their return to the promised land.

Ways I might prepare for intercession would be spending time in scripture, repentance of personal sins, quieting my heart, and preparing my spirit.

Daniels demeanor is one of humility. An acknowledgement of God as being all powerful.  Daniel comes to plead and beg God's forgivenes of Isreals sin.  He prepares himself by fasting and coming before God in Sackcloth and Ashes. He comes prayerfully.

It is important that Daniel prepare for this time of Intercession as he believes that God will help and hear him.  That God will answer a pray of suplication and humility.

To prepare for intercession I think we need to confess to God our sin and ask forgiveness and then to fast and pray for guidence.

What is Daniel’s demeanor as he prays? How does he prepare? Why is this so important in this case? In what ways might you and I prepare for intercession?          

Daniel humiliated himself recognising he and his people were sinners. Then he quotes the Scriptures showing God is merciful with His people Israel. Daniel describes how in the History God had protected His people and had prevented others to hurt Israel. It is important because he showed the Lord he, Daniel, had a thankful heart which could recognize all the things God had acted in Israel favor.  If we act the same way Daniel did we can prepare our intercession.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (Daniel 9:3-4a) What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays? How does he prepare? Why is this so important in this case? In what ways might you and I prepare for intercession?

Daniel is humble. He prepared by fasting and in sack cloth and ashes. Daniel is asking God for mercy for the Jewish people. He knows the people are sinful and have forgotten their God. This is different than pleading for a righteous cause. We must be humble before God.