JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Power in Jesus' Name

Q4. How did Jesus' disciples use his name when they healed and cast out demons? Do we have this kind of authority, or was it only for the apostles themselves? In what way does speaking or acting in Jesus' name demonstrate the concept of power of attorney? Why are we sometimes afraid to speak or act in Jesus' name? How might hearing his voice about a particular matter alleviate that fear?

Jesus’s disciples used His name with authority and power from Him They spoke it believing that He was all powerful and that if they spoke in his name and did not doubt miracles would happen and people would be healed and demons would be cast out.

I believe we do have this authority today. I heard of cases where people were healed and demons were cast out.  When we speak or act in his name we are speaking for him and for what he believes and what he wants us to do. We are doing what He has requested us to do and ultimately for his benefit and glory.

We are sometimes afraid because we think people will think we are crazy. We think we will be laughed at for believing that Jesus still heals. Many of us have been taught that it was only for the apostles and that we do not have that authority anymore. If we listened to a message about healing we might understand that he still wants us to do it. That he does not always let people suffer needlessly. It would embolden us to freely speak his name.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

The disciples used His name as having power to effect change.  They boldly used their authority invested in them by the Lord's name.  All believers have this authority - use, recognize and submit.  This demonstrates power of attorney because everything is subjected to His rule (name) as we pray as if He is praying it.  Fear could enter from not understanding the power available to us.  Hearing His voice provides confirmation and courage as we trust His direction - leaning on Him and not man's wisdom.

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:10 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. How did Jesus’ disciples use his name when they healed and cast out demons? They prayed in Jesus' name when driving out demons and/or healing the maimed.

Do we have this kind of authority, or was it only for the apostles themselves? No, I don't believe we do. I think this was a special privilege bestowed upon Jesus' apostles.

In what way does speaking or acting in Jesus’ name demonstrate the concept of power of attorney? The power of attorney is given full authority to act on behalf of a named person. Similarly using Jesus's name to pray and excise demons is basically the authority to act on behalf of Jesus, and his kingdom. 

Why are we sometimes afraid to speak or act in Jesus’ name? I just don't want to speak for and act on behalf a God, unless he has given me full consent. Otherwise, wouldn't it be blasphemous? 

How might hearing his voice about a particular matter alleviate that fear? If he came and told me to act on his behalf, I might do it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:10 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. How did Jesus’ disciples use his name when they healed and cast out demons? Do we have this kind of authority, or was it only for the apostles themselves? In what way does speaking or acting in Jesus’ name demonstrate the concept of power of attorney? Why are we sometimes afraid to speak or act in Jesus’ name? How might hearing his voice about a particular matter alleviate that fear?

a.  The disciples used Jesus name with power and authority to cast out demons, and cure diseases.

b. We also have this authority.  Adam gave this authority away to the devil when he sinned in the beginning.  When Christ died at Calvary He got this authority back and gave it to us believers. And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; Mark 16:17 The seventy-two returned with joy and said, "Lord, even the demons submit to us in Your name." Luke 10:17 

c. A person's name can represent the person himself, his presence, or existence. Sometimes a person's name and existence are nearly one and the same thing.  We have Christ in us, as He sent His Holy Spirit to live in us. We are acting on behalf of Jesus when we use His name. 

d.  We are afraid to speak or act in Jesus' name because don't know who we are in Christ and that His Spirit lives in us, or sometimes  we waver in unbelief, or that nothing will happen.

e.  When we get a word about a particular matter and we know it is God speaking to us by His Holy Spirit, that is when we have faith to believe that He will do it.  We can have peace about it, rest in that peace and act on it and there will be no reason to fear or have unbelief.

• 1 year later...

The disciples used the authority they had been given from Jesus to heal and cast the demons out. Yes we do have that kind of authority its not just for the Apostles. The church can heal and cast out demons to in Jesus name. 

When we are speaking and praying in Jesus name that is as though Jesus himself was saying it. The responsibility is not to be taken lightly. We need to be assured that we are always lining up with the word and being led by The Holy Spirit when using his name.

Sometimes we can be afraid because you might be going in unfamiliar territory. In a situation a person may not have encountered before. That can be scary at times for a person. Sometimes it can be fear of other people,making a mistake, being afraid that what we are saying in his name is not going to work. Sometimes it's natural human fear. It could also be the devil trying to place fear in our heart.

I believe hearing his voice through his word and in our hearts about a specific situation can definitely help take away fear when we are needing to respond in a situation. That voice of love and confirmation in out hearts can help us do many good things for the Lord. It can help us get out of our comfort zone and be bold when dealing with others. Be bold, loving, and compassionate. That's what Jesus wants.

• 1 year later...

I was just given power of attorney over my father's finances and health, so this question is deeply personal for me. As he dies, I use his name to pay his bills and give him the comfort he needs. He is an atheist. Stridently so. Thus, my POA means I can make godly decisions for him and in spite of him.

I have seen Jesus' name be invoked in charismatic settings and have to admit it made me both squeamish and troubled. It felt disrespectful. Perhaps manipulative. I will never invoke His name unless I am absolutely certain that something needs to be done, when His will in a situation is crystal clear. Unfortunately, this sort of clarity regarding His will is rare in me. 

I have never heard His voice so I can't speak to the question that includes this experience. I would like to hear His voice. I would like clear guidance and direction.

I'm afraid to speak in Jesus' name because of the high potential for making a mistake. Again, I have heard people boldly (recklessly) use his name to heal or to invoke change in another person's personal life, and frankly, I don't think it was effective. This is akin to using Jesus' name as a talisman, a charm that forces nature to bend. It borders on the demonic, at times -- or, at least, the egotistical.

Who is so sure of God's will that he/she invokes God's name like this? In public meetings, I've seen His name invoked many times in one evening. Can this truly be of Him? 

I doubt.

• 6 months later...

Q4. How did Jesus’ disciples use his name when they healed and cast out demons?

ANSWER: The normal method employed by Jesus and his disciples for casting out demons is not prayer at all. Prayer is speaking to God while, casting out an unclean spirit is commanding a spirit to depart, and it must obey. The Devil often likes to deceive people away from their healing, by creating in their mind an image of their physical situation. He does this for the purpose of defeating them, and preventing them from receiving healing from God. 

Jesus gave His apostles, (a "messenger" or "one who is sent"), authority over unclean spirits through his name. He gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease. His disciples too cast out demons in the same way, but evoking the authority of Jesus through His name and through the power of the Holy Spirit. It's the name (JESUS) that is recognized and gets things done in Heaven.

Do we have this kind of authority, or was it only for the apostles themselves?

ANSWER: After the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, He gave all His believers the authority to cast out demons. In Matthew 28:17, we see the signs that should be following believers. This is a confirmation that everyone who believes in Jesus Christ has the authority to cast out demons, and it's not only reserved for pastors, deacons or elders.

All authority has been given to Jesus, and He calls us to walk in this authority here on earth to expand His Kingdom. Satan is a fallen angel, and so are his servants (demons); they are simply persons with no bodies which you have authority over. Like in all things, wisdom is required. There's no one size fits all, but you must understand how deliverance works, what it is and that you have the authority to perform such works.

In what way does speaking or acting in Jesus’ name demonstrate the concept of power of attorney?

ANSWER: Jesus gave every believer in His name on earth the authority to use that name. The transfer of this type authority in our world today, is what is recognized in legal terms as “The Power of Attorney”. A Power of Attorney is the authority that is given to another person, so as to act on behalf of the issuer in legal or any other matters. 

Jesus gave us the power to use His name on earth in the same manner. We are acting as His representative on earth today. Everything that Jesus wants to get done on earth today, He does it through the believers in His name, who has been given the Power of Attorney to act on His behalf. That means Jesus literally gave us (believers in His name) the license to heal the sick, rescue those who are suffering and do the works of God on earth today.

Why are we sometimes afraid to speak or act in Jesus’ name? 

ANSWER: We are sometime afraid to speak or act in Jesus’ name due to the  following:

1: Fear. We fear Jesus revealing our true wounds. I believe that the main reason we doubt God and are afraid of Him is a misunderstanding of His character.

2: Pride. We cannot seek the things that the world prioritizes and at the same time, seek God. There is a cost for knowing Jesus.

3: Commitment. We must be diligent in seeking God first and making Him the center of our lives instead of limiting Him to just church on Sunday.

We must let Jesus into every area of our heart. When you give Him your whole heart, He will make your heart whole. He will restore what is broken and will provide you with steadfast peace, radiant joy and unshakable hope.

How might hearing His voice about a particular matter alleviate that fear?

ANSWER: One of the essential tools in our walk with God is hearing His voice. Without the ability to hear God, we are stunted in our own walk with Him. There are many “voices” out there competing against God's voice. Therefore, it becomes very important in our walk with God to hear and discern His voice. How do you hear from God? We must take the following steps to hearing from God, among other things:

Withdraw: To hear from God, you need to pull back and get alone with God in a quiet place. You can’t hear God’s voice, if you are surrounded by noise.

Wait: We must learn to be still before God. Waiting is the depth of prayer.

Read the Word of God: God’s Word is His mind. God speaks to us through His Word, both spoken and written.

Write it Down: As you wait upon the Lord, He will give you insights, revelations and specific instructions. You need to write down those things you received from God for reference and guidance.

Test: Although the Spirit of God leads us, but we must verify every leading. God does not feel offended when you verify.

In 1 Thessalonians 5:19-22, God Himself said, to test all spirits to know whether they are of God. We are to review regularly what God says to you.