JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Jesus' Wisdom and Truth

In many cases Jesus’truth is diametrically opposed to the culture. There was a time when aspects of the culture seemed to based on the word for God as the law of the land was. But now both are undergoing a radical change.

Well we know as the Bible teaches, that the foolishness of God is wiser than the wisdom of man. Take for example Carnival which is a big event in my country. The culture says if it feels good , do it. The next day like the prodigal son, they have spent all they have in riotous living or they have an unwanted pregnancy, or they have contracted an incurable disease. Some do not even live to tell the sad story. But Jesus’ truth says: “ crucify the flesh and the lusts thereof.”

Saturate myself in the word of God, Keep company with mature believers.Be active in the church. Be filled with the Spirit and keep on being filled. Be transformed by the renewing of the mind.Depend on God to help us hold on for we cannot do it for ourselves. Spend much time in prayer.

• 2 months later...

Jesus’ truth contrasts with the world’s in the fact that they believe that living together is okay. They also believe adultery is okay. They believe any sin is okay. They believe that Christians condemn sinners and sin both when that is not how it is. Jesus condemns the sin but loves the sinners. It also believes that love is when two people of the same sex marry. But that is not how Jesus sees it. For even Jesus sees that as sin because He hates what His Father hates. For He came from His father to begin with. Also the fact that the world believe that Jesus would let homosexuals love who they want to love! That is a lie from the pit of hell!  That is not true. Jesus would not agree with that! God’s son does not allow for that at all. He also did not create them to be that way either! 
His wisdom is from heaven while the earthly wisdom is demonic. Also it says the opposite of God’s word and says the things that are contrary to it. 
Bible memorization and Being in a church where I was being taught.

Q4. (John 4:16; 1 Corinthians 1:24) How does Jesus' truth contrast with your culture's dearly held "truths"? How does Jesus' wisdom differ from the worldly wisdom that your culture teaches you? What would help you hold on to Jesus' truth and wisdom more effectively?

Jesus’ truth is directly opposite of what the world and our culture teaches. Our culture teaches us that there is more than one way to heaven, That there is no moral absolutes and that all religions take you to the same place. The culture we live in does not want to hear about sin or punishment. They do not want to hear about the cross or self-denial.

Jesus’ wisdom tells us that following God will give us true happiness and joy. This world believes that doing your own thing and listening to the world experts will help us find happiness. They believe that the only way to get wisdom or knowledge is by going to college and immersing yourself in what philosophers, scientists, and liberal professors tell you.

I think spending more time in His Word and memorizing it as well as praying might help me hold on to it more. I need to get it down in my head so I remember what He has said. Also if I found a good church it might help too. I need to be with other believers who can encourage me.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

. (John 4:16; 1 Corinthians 1:24) How does Jesus’ truth contrast with your culture’s dearly held “truths”? How does Jesus’ wisdom differ from the worldly wisdom that your culture teaches you? What would help you hold on to Jesus’ truth and wisdom more effectively?

This is my personal experience.  The top neurosurgeons gave up on me.  God pulled the doctors away and had me sit at Jesus' feet meditating on one scripture - that if God takes care of the birds in the air and the flowers in the field how much more would He take care of me.  All fear of death left and God's peace consumed me.  After two years, I was healed and delivered in that place of peace.  After that I was filled with the Holy Spirit and went to a faith church.  Every time I said I was sick, they would say I wasn't and point me to God's Word that says By Jesus' stripes I am healed.  God pulled me off medications one by one.  I was off all medications in one year by believing God's Word of trutth that I am healed instead of the world's wisdom that I am sick.   

After giving a message in a large church I was called in.  I wanted to do the right thing and apologized for speaking and said I would submit to the pastor.  WRONG...  The next morning I saw the Holy Spirit go into the earth of my heart.  I cried for years.  I spent 18 years and two large inheritances going to the best Christian conferences and buying the best teachings only to have God show me I was totally lost.  He brought me back to where I started and said 'I am the way.'  

Jesus says that we are not to worry about what we eat or drink or wear.  If God takes care of the birds in the air and the flowers in the field how much more will He take care of us.  He says that we are not to be like the world because we have a Heavenly Father who takes care of us.  I think of the song 'Stressed Out.'  Jesus said , Come to Me all you who are burdened and heavily laden and I will give you rest.  My yoke is easy and My burden light. 

I was the woman with the issue of blood twice.  Once with medical doctors and once with church doctors.  In both cases God brought me back to His Word, His Truth, Jesus Christ. 

There are many other instances where God's Word is different than the world's.  Every family is to blessed through the seed of Abraham.  By faith we have to agree with God that our family is blessed.  Culture will always look at the sin.  God always looks at the blood and sees us and the world through the blood His Son shed.  The message of the early church was that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself not counting their sins against them.  The early church forgave Saul and God brought His justice.  He turned Saul into Paul.  God's ways are not our ways.  The rich man ended up in Hades and Lazarus in the bosom of Abraham.  On the Ides of March, Death of |Caesar, I came across Red Letter Christians.  Jesus said that those who hear and do His Words are like a man who built His house on a Rock.  It stands when the storms come.  He said that those who only hear His Word but don't do it are like a man who built his house on sand.  His house fell when the storms came.  This comes back to the first question of Jesus being our Rabbi. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:14 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (John 4:16; 1 Corinthians 1:24) How does Jesus’ truth contrast with your culture’s dearly held “truths”? How does Jesus’ wisdom differ from the worldly wisdom that your culture teaches you? What would help you hold on to Jesus’ truth and wisdom more effectively?

a. Jesus said unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)   Let God be true and every man a liar.  (Romans 3:4) There is no other Truth but God!  The World today is just opinions and lies.  So much deception, so many lies.  And the world passes away, and the **** thereof: but he that does the will of God abides for ever. (1 John 2:17)

b. "The foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength." (1 Corinthians 1:25)  Mans wisdom is foolishness.  It is filled with opinions, what they were taught, what they think and lies.  But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. (James 3:17)

c. Staying in God's Word, meditating on it and letting it become part of me.  Watch what I listen to on TV, hear, see or speak.  Shutting down the lies of the enemy.  Speaking the truth of what God says about who I am in Him.

• 1 year later...

Jesus truths contrast because this world's belief system is out of order. His truths goes totally against it many ways. For example the world can believe that it is ok to practice this religion and that religion but Jesus made it very clear that he is the only way to The Father. It's doesn't matter how kind someone else is to their family or to humanity as a whole, they still have to accept Jesus truths. People in the world can think it is ok to sleep with this person and that person with no real commitment in marriage and no consequences but Jesus has made it clear in his word that it is not ok to do that. There are consequences to doing the wrong things in life. People have to understand their need to change and that there is forgiveness through Jesus.

Jesus wisdom is different because Jesus brings the truth which convicts the heart to do what is right. The world's wisdom brings only temporary satisfaction with no real lasting results. It may last for awhile ( the world's wisdom) but it's not bringing lasting results, forever results. Alot of times the world's wisdom just feeds the flesh. Eventually man's wisdom fails anyway.

What will make me hold on to Jesus truth and wisdom more effectively is by studying and meditating on his truths and wisdom on a daily basis. Not staring at them and no fruit being produce but keeping them in my heart daily and actually living them out on a daily basis. Also, me allowing the Holy Spirit to guide me daily on what I need be studying and how I should be studying. How he may tell someone else to do something may not be how he tell me to do it. Something I need to keep in mind.

• 1 year later...

As a Westerner, I spend the majority of my time in the United States and several months a year in Europe to work. In both places, there are no "cultural truths" except political shibboleths which substitute for Bibical truisms. Western societies which were once distinctly Christian are now indistinctly secular. So, the "wisdom" we receive from our societies isn't wise at all; it is best to ignore whatever the political and social pundits hawk on the television or in schools, government offices or on social media.

There's an eternality and rock-solidity to Jesus' truth that stands in utter contrast to the ephemeral and shape-shifting values of Western society. Today, Western society is toxic -- Christ is the antidote.

For many years, now, I have been unplugged from all mainstream news and most social groupings. This was one of the best decisions I have made in my life. I do not have a television. I do not shop in malls or places of commerce but buy online to avoid the pressured material experience. I am not active in local politics anymore. When I had children -- they are in their twenties, now -- I homeschooled.

I live simply, with more purity. The goal, as I see it, is to unplug from as much of secular society as possible while remaining highly active in the very limited spheres of society in which I can have influence. My limited spheres happen to be political.

After unplugging, I have found it much easier to spend time in the Word, pray and think about how Christianity actually relates, or should related, to the cultures in which it thrives. I can serve Him better, even in highly social venues, after I disengaged from the constant onrush of "propaganda." 

• 6 months later...

Q4. (John 4:16; 1 Corinthians 1:24) How does Jesus’ truth contrast with your culture’s dearly held “truths”?

ANSWER: God’s culture of grace is timeless and is not subject to the changing cultural norm or rules of society. As an all-knowing and all-powerful being, God’s ways and actions are not limited by the constraints of human knowledge, understanding, data, or ideas. Whereas, Secular culture, on the other hand, refers to beliefs, attitudes, and values of people who are not necessarily religious and who may reject organized religion altogether. This includes cultural norms, social practices, political ideologies, and those that are shaped by factors such as science, technology, economics, and social change. 

In summary, then, we may say that God recognizes culture and reaches out in grace to all cultures in this day of the gospel of His grace. He brings them together “in one body by the cross”, raising them above the background in which they grew up, and gives them new desires and associations (see Ephesians 2:16). Finally, He judges every culture, showing us in His Word how to weed out those attitudes and patterns of living that hinder our walk with Him, in order that we might “walk as children of light” (see Ephesians 5:8).

How does Jesus’ wisdom differ from the worldly wisdom that your culture teaches you?

ANSWER: The wisdom that is from God reflects Him.

1). While earthly wisdom says always follow your heart, godly wisdom tells us that the heart is deceitful above all things (Jeremiah 17:9).

2). While earthly wisdom says seeing is believing, godly wisdom tells us that blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed (John 20:29).

3). While earthly wisdom says love your family and friends, godly wisdom tells us to also love your enemies and bless them (Matthew 5:43-47).

4). While earthly wisdom says there are many ways to God, godly wisdom tells us there is only one way to God, Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12).

God desires to give His divine wisdom to His children. All other types of learning are valuable but limited unless built upon the knowledge of the Lord Himself. To gain God’s wisdom, we must pray for it, while studying and living out God’s Word. Jesus calls us to be as wise and shrewd as serpents, but this wisdom is very unlike the world’s wisdom. Godly wisdom is innocent, gentle, reasonable, peace-loving, impartial and sincere. It is full of mercy and willing to yield to others. It leads to godliness and peaceful relationships with others.

Worldly secular wisdom tends to be self-centered. It exalts ourselves. When our hearts are not submitted to God, we will harbor pride, jealousy and selfish ambitions and use our wisdom against others. God’s Word calls such wisdom “earthly, unspiritual, demonic“. Jesus pointed out that Satan fosters such thinking and gets people to focus on things from a human point of view, not from God’s. Earthly wisdom does not understand that heavenly wisdom is characterized by humility and meekness. Earthly wisdom finds its roots in jealousy and selfish ambition. Earthly wisdom appeals to the senses and the emotions.

We may have to stand against the wisdom of the world, the advice of our well-meaning family and friends, and battle our own self-seeking desires in order to be solely led by God. God’s wisdom gives us focus and direction when we have to choose between what looks good, what feels good, and what is good. The good news is that godly wisdom can be gained and learnt. True wisdom is “the wisdom of God,” which will stand the test of time and eternity.

What would help you hold on to Jesus’ truth and wisdom more effectively?

ANSWER: The point is simple. Wake up each day with the intention to be good and do good. Spread light, not darkness. It’s really that simple. Give compliments freely, smile kindly, give generously, don’t complain, speak only kind words, and never tear people down. Above all: remember to love god and love people.

WAYS TO STRENGTHEN MY FAITH:

1. TRUST - This one is a bit obvious, but sometimes the hardest to execute. We must trust Him in all things, which means having complete trust and complete confidence. Not only do we trust Him to provide provision, but we are completely confident that He will provide us with an abundant life as well!
  2. PRAY - I must start every day with prayer! Sitting in the presence of God is important and there are times when God deserves my undivided attention. I am not to limit myself, there is no right or wrong way to pray, God simply wants to hear from me. I talk to Him, no pressure, just talk.
  3. READ SCRIPTURES - I need His Word inside, in my mind and in my hearts. Knowing God’s Word goes hand in hand with trusting God and praying. Reading His promises, and then have great faith in God, I gain wisdom, knowledge, and understanding in my life through His . If we want to exercise faith in our lives, we must let God’s instructions and commands be our guide. In doing so we will strengthen our faith greatly.
  4. LIVE OUT HIS WORD - After all that reading, studying, and note taking, now it’s time to start using my knowledge. Applying the Word of God to the life I live, will deepen my walk with Him and strengthen my faith. Obviously, no one is prefect, but I have to make a commitment to grow in my faith and commit to living God first lives. I know I personally need to work on memorizing Scripture, and then intentionally start to apply them to my life, one day at a time. My goal is always to be better than I was yesterday.
  5. BE THE LIGHT - I am to be loving and caring towards others. Must be encouraging, and build another up. Be joyful and don’t spend my days complaining. Additionally, I should practice thankfulness and be forgiving. I am to forgive, so my Father can forgive me of my sins. I must be giving of my time, my talents, and my treasures. When people see me, let them not only see a person that is a believer in God, but let them see a person that exercises great faith in my life. Lastly, let them see a role model for a God first life, let my actions draw people closer to God.