JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Messianic Prophecies

On 12/10/2015 at 2:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. Which are your favorite messianic prophecies? Which titles from those are dearest to you? Why? I love the one that begins, "The wolf will live with the lamb. The leopard will lie down with the goat." These are lovely images that indicate persons of every nation, will live together in peace.  It indicates that this is a time of righteous reign, one in which enemies are conquered and peace is obtained through the Messiah.

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. Which are your favorite messianic prophecies? Which titles from those are dearest to you? Why?

a.  For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.  Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this. (Isaiah 9:6-7)  and:                                                            For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.  He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.  Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.  But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.  (Isaiah 53:2-5)

b. A child is born - because He took on humanity in order to save us.  Man of sorrows - Because He bore out sin, sickness and disease and delivered us.

• 1 year later...

Isaiah 11:6-9 is a very beautiful prophecy. I look forward to a time of peace and rest. That is something that I am definitely looking forward to. 

I love that Jesus is called the Prince of Peace. Because in my heart I longed for the peace that only God can give. There is peace living in this life and we don't suppose to walk around in worry. But, there is also a perfect peace that will only come from when Jesus reigns. Where righteous will reign the way it suppose to.

• 11 months later...

The branches emerging from coppiced trees (trees that have been cut down to a stump) are long and straight, often used as fence posts. Some trees, then, rather than dying, are energized after being reduced to a stump. Chestnut trees are coppiced in Europe for fence posts.

Thus, my fav verse is this:

"A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse, from his roots a branch will bear fruit."

• 7 months later...

Q2. Which are your favorite messianic prophecies?

ANSWER: My favorite messianic prophecies is the whole Old Testament: Law, Prophets, and Writings. Messianic Prophecy may be defined to be all prophecy that refers, whether more or less distinctly, to the coming of Christ, to his work of salvation, or to the growth and con-summation of his kingdom. Messianic prophecies deal with some aspect of the Messiah’s nature, ministry, or associations. We have in the Holy Scripture, an array of prophecies which extend over hundreds of years and yet find their complete fulfillment in the short thirty-year life span of one person, Jesus of Nazareth, many being fulfilled in one day. These prophecies truly accomplish the purposes of the Gospel writers as they carefully pointed to the person, words, and works of Christ.

Why (are the titles from those favorite messianic prophecies is dearest to me)?

ANSWER: The messianic prophecy which is dearest to me is the, the messianic prophecy of hope. It is dearest to me because, Isaiah’s prophecy represents the Messianic hope that existed among the covenant people: “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. We discover that much of the whole chapter of Isaiah 53 corresponds directly to Jesus’ passion. When Jesus quotes an Old Testament passage and says that He is the fulfillment of it, we know for sure that passage was messianic.