JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Messianic Prophecies

• 1 month later...

I am grateful for all that is revealed in the messianic titles and all that will be accomplished in these prophecies about Messiah, but will choose a few from the lesson.

Isaiah 9:6 - As Prince of Peace, Christ has already established peace between God and man, and will establish the peace that will reign over the entire earth. Discord, anger, hatred, or enmity in the relationships of man with each other will not be tolerated. How we long for such divine peace in this world!

Isaiah 9:7 – As eternal King on the throne of David, He will establish an everlasting kingdom of justice with righteousness that will banish inequity, unfairness, and moral impurity. It will be a wonderful day when unjust people can no longer cause suffering and misery any more.

Ezekiel 37:24; Micah 5:4 - As Shepherd, He will be the strong and compassionate protector, provider, and guide right here on earth that will establish security and care for people with genuine concern. Won't it be precious to have Someone we can completely trust to be totally in charge in every practical way!

Isaiah 11:9-10 - As the Root of Jesse, His eternal Life will spring up and rise with majesty and glory to fill every inch of the earth so that no creature can deny Him and all will know Him for who He really is. How marvelous is the thought of our world filled with purity and holiness.

Micah 5:2-4 - As Ruler of Israel, He will prove completely faithful to His Word and covenant promises as He gathers God's chosen people back to Himself and fulfills every promise He made to them. It will be glorious to see the full vindication of God's integrity and power in an undeniable way before the whole world.

What treasured hope we have in the Anointed One of God!

Q2. Which are your favorite messianic prophecies? Which titles from those are dearest to you? Why? 

One shepherd: They will follow my laws and be careful to keep my decrees." (Ezekiel 37:24)

Daniel's prophecy speaks of an "Anointed One" (NIV, ESV, Daniel 9:25, 26),

"Anointed Prince" (NRSV), "Messiah" (KJV), who is also called a "prince" or "ruler."

THEY ALL REFER TO "THE"  NO DOUBT ABOUT WHO IS IN CHARGE.

Q2. Which are your favorite messianic prophecies?

​One of my favorite books in the Bible is Isaiah, primarily because of some of my favorite prophesies of Jesus!

​An example I gave on Q1 regarding prophecies which spoke of several time periods of history in the same verse, which led the Jews to overlook Jesus' first coming is in Isaiah 40:10,11. (Verse 11 is one of my favorites. The verses and numbers were added later, so they read it like this was all happening at one time: V10 Behold, the Lord God will come with might, and His arm will rule for Him. Behold, His reward is with Him and His recompense before Him." ( speaking of His second coming. Rev. 22:7,12)

it goes on to say in V11 which I especially love: He will feed His flock like a shepherd: He will gather the lambs in His arm. He will carry them in His bosom and will gently lead those that have their young.

Which titles from those are dearest to you? Why?

​My childhood was devoid of affection or warmth and was often violent. My heart turns with joy to the love, tenderness and compassion of Jesus in the shepherd verses, because I know how desperately I need Him and His leading, and reading about and experiencing His tenderness heals my broken placees and  the holes in my soul. 

​Another favorite is in Isaiah 9:6, 7. Which speaks of his first coming as a Child, born and as a Son given, then gives the following description of His time on earth and also of His second coming:  ,... "the government shall be upon His shoulder, and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government there shall be no end, upon the throne of David forever...etc.

​I love that prophecy because it tells me Who God is...three in One,  Mighty God, my Everlasting Heavenly Father,  Wonderful, Counselor, my ever present Holy Spirit,  Prince of Peace, my beloved Savior.

This is my favorite messianic prophecy.

"My servant David will be king over them,
and they will all have one shepherd.
They will follow my laws and be careful to keep my decrees."

This tells me that Jesus is going to be retuning and we will all be at one with him. That Jesus is going to be his one shepherd.

Isiah 53:5,6 is my favourite messianic passage

It is my favourite becase this passage was brought to my attention when I first became a Christian, a significant number of years ago now. It speaks of the mesiah's suffering and therefore his great love. He was despised and rejected by man and yet he "took our pain and bore our suffering" (v4). The passage continues, "we all like sheep have go ne astray, each of us has gone astray and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all" (v6). Therefore the terms attributed to the suffering Messiah are my favourites: 'Lamb', 'punished by God' stricken, 'stricken for our iniquities'.

Q2.

Which are your favourite messianic prophecies? 

Which titles from those are dearest to you? 

Why?

My favourite one comes from Isaiah 9:6: “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”

9:6a describes His humanity - His First Coming. 

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given. 

Child -  bringing joy to the world.

Son – the Son of God coming to earth under the authority of God the Father. 

9:6b describes His deity - His Second Coming. 

And the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”

The government will be upon His shoulder - He will reign as King of kings and Lord of lords. 

The rest of the verse describes His personal glories.

His name will be called Wonderful - speaks of His Person and Work.

Counsellor - His wisdom in government.

Mighty God - the omnipotent, supreme Ruler.

Everlasting Father (the Father of eternity) - Eternal Himself, He confers eternal life on those who believe in Him. 

Prince of Peace - the One who will at last bring peace to this troubled world.

This prophecy encompasses some of the many attributes of Jesus which I feel describe our Lord very well. 

Q2. Which are your favorite messianic prophecies? Which titles from those are dearest to you? Why?

The Prophecy: Messiah would be seated at God's right hand

Psalm 68:18, "You have ascended on high, You have led captivity captive; You have received gifts among men, even from the rebellious, that the LORD GOD might dwell there."

Psalm 110:1, "The LORD said to my LORD, "Sit at My right hand. Till I make your enemies Your footstool."

The Fulfillment: 

Matthew 22:44, "The LORD said to my LORD, 'Sit at My right hand, Til I make Your enemies Your footstool."

Mark 16:19, "So then, after the LORD had spoken to them,, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of GOD."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Prophecy: Messiah's throne will be anointed and eternal

Psalm 45:6-7, "Your throne, O GOD, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You love righteousness and hate wickedness; Therefore GOD, Your GOD has anointed You with the oil of gladness more than Your companions."

Daniel 2:44, "And in the days of these kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed; and the kingdom shall not be left to other people; it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand forever.

The Fulfillment: 

Luke 1:33, "And He shall reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end."

Hebrews 1:8-12, "But to the Son He says: “Your throne, O GOD, is forever and ever; a scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness;therefore GOD, Your GOD, has anointed You with the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”
And: “You, LORD, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of Your hands. They will perish, but You remain;
And they will all grow old like a garment; like a cloak You will fold them up, and they will be changed.
But You are the same, and Your years will not fail.”

To meditate on His place at the right hand of GOD the Father is a most delightful thing to do. Knowing that His anointing is forever, we will never need another mediator, another savior, another redeemer.
As my Deliverer, He freed me from the prison of sin. As my Mediator, He stands with me before the most Holy GOD. As my King, I can bow before Him and worship Him.
I am His and He is mine forever. 

It is hard to pick a favorite Messianic prophecy.  Some are beautiful and if I had to pick a favorite it would be Isaiah 9:6 or Isaiah 53, however Psalm 22:14 is the one that makes me take pause.  What does it take to make your heart like wax?  This is what our Savior suffered for us.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

22:11-21 In these verses we have Christ suffering, and Christ praying; by which we are directed to look for crosses, and to look up to God under them. The very manner of Christ's death is described, though not in use among the Jews. They pierced his hands and his feet, which were nailed to the accursed tree, and his whole body was left so to hang as to suffer the most severe pain and torture. His natural force failed, being wasted by the fire of Divine wrath preying upon his spirits. Who then can stand before God's anger? or who knows the power of it? The life of the sinner was forfeited, and the life of the Sacrifice must be the ransom for it. Our Lord Jesus was stripped, when he was crucified, that he might clothe us with the robe of his righteousness. Thus it was written, therefore thus it behoved Christ to suffer. Let all this confirm our faith in him as the true Messiah, and excite our love to him as the best of friends, who loved us, and suffered all this for us. Christ in his agony prayed, prayed earnestly, prayed that the cup might pass from him. When we cannot rejoice in God as our song, yet let us stay ourselves upon him as our strength; and take the comfort of spiritual supports, when we cannot have spiritual delights. He prays to be delivered from the Divine wrath. He that has delivered, doth deliver, and will do so. We should think upon the sufferings and resurrection of Christ, till we feel in our souls the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings.

God bless!

Jen

Psalm 22:19

The favorite messianic prophecies are:

A star will come out of Jacob; a scepter will rise out of Israel...." (Numbers 24:17)

"A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.

The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him -- the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, 

the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD...." (Isaiah 11:1-2)

"Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live. 

I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David." (Isaiah 55:3)

"The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, 

against the LORD and against his Anointed (māshîaḥ)...." (Psalm 2:2, ESV))

I consider these, among others, favorites because they show the faithfulness of our God, who reveals to His Prophets those things which are to come.  We can have confidence in all the promises of God; they too will be manifested.

There is no particular prophecy is far or more than the other. All of the prophecies are my favorite.

(Isaiah 11:12), Isaiah foresees the Messiah bringing in a time of peace and rest for God's people.

(Isaiah 9:6) The Messiah is called "the Prince of Peace", meaning the one who brings peace.

(Isaiah 11:10-12) Isaiah indicates that Messiah's reign will be a time of righteous rule, conquering of enemies, of the regathering of the Jews that have been scattered through exile.

There are many others, but too many to put here.

Isaiah 9:6-7, For unto us TO US! This Child will come to us to save us....think of that!
And what qualities He will have. His power brings peace, not war. Righteousness and

justice, not despotism and corruption. And it will last forever!
There is an oblique reference in Isaiah 43:18cf....'Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old.....Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?"
Isaiah Chapter 53 must be the greatest and yet John 3:16 where we learn that God loved us
so much. He loves us! Loved us so much that He chose a people, fashioned their history,
put them through experiences, sent them prophets and gave them signs of His coming,
And He came to them and to us. Jesus, Yeshua, the anointed Son of Man, Son of God,
who came to save us by taking our sins upon Himself at the cross. 

Q2. Which are your favorite messianic prophecies? Which titles            from those are dearest to you? Why?

Question 1     by Balaam:

1. "I see him, but not now;

I behold him, but not near.

A star will come out of Jacob; 

a scepter will rise out of Israel...." (Numbers 24:17 )

2. Though David's line had been cut off, there was still a stump, and there was hope.

"A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;

from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.

The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him -- 

the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, 

the Spirit of counsel and of power, 

the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD...." (Isaiah 11:1-2)

Question 2

1)Jesus is not seen now, but will be later. He is in my mind, but will be

Closer to me later. Jesus will be a star.

2) "A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;

from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.

The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him -- 

the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, 

the Spirit of counsel and of power, 

the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD...." (Isaiah 11:1-2)

Question 3

Jesus will come from the root of Jesse and he will bear fruit from 

Jesse’s roots. Jesus will have rest, wisdom, be a great counselor,

and have tremendous power, knowledge because he will fear

the Lord his father. 

They are so true and explains some of the things about Jesus.

My favorite messianic prophecies are Genesis 49:10 and Isaiah 11:1-2.

The titles from the above prophecies that is dearest to me are Genesis 49:10, Jacobs prophecy over his son Judah, " the scepter will not depart from Judah" because " the ruler's staff comes to whom it belongs and the obedience of the nations in him".

Isaiah 11:1-2 that "a shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse", because 'from his roots a Branch will bear fruit, the Spirit of the Lord will rest on him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel of the Lord". Jesus fulfills all the above prophecies and many many more.       

My Answer: When the Messiah brings in a time of peace and rest for God's people, a time of harmony when even a little child can safely lead wild animals.

My Answer: The Prince of Peace

Why? My Anwer: The time of peace will be heavenly!

My Answer: When the Messiah brings in a time of peace and rest for God's people, a time of harmony when even a little child can safely lead wild animals.

My Answer: The Prince of Peace

Why? My Anwer: The time of peace will be heavenly!

A. The come of the Price of Peace and the Shepherd and my favourite prophesies and find both dear to me. This because the world is turmoil and needs the Price of Peace dearly. Further more, we all need the Shepherd to meet our gaping needs. 

44 Prophecies Jesus Christ Fulfilled

Prophecies About Jesus

Old Testament
Scripture

New Testament
Fulfillment

Messiah would be born of a woman.

Genesis 3:15

Matthew 1:20
Galatians 4:4

Messiah would be born in Bethlehem.

Micah 5:2

Matthew 2:1
Luke 2:4-6

Messiah would be born of a virgin.

Isaiah 7:14

Matthew 1:22-23
Luke 1:26-31

Messiah would come from the line of Abraham.

Genesis 12:3
Genesis 22:18

Matthew 1:1
Romans 9:5

Messiah would be a descendant of Isaac.

Genesis 17:19
Genesis 21:12

Luke 3:34

Messiah would be a descendant of Jacob.

Numbers 24:17

Matthew 1:2

Messiah would come from the tribe of Judah.

Genesis 49:10

Luke 3:33
Hebrews 7:14

Messiah would be heir to King David's throne.

2 Samuel 7:12-13
Isaiah 9:7

Luke 1:32-33
Romans 1:3

Messiah's throne will be anointed and eternal.

Psalm 45:6-7
Daniel 2:44

Luke 1:33
Hebrews 1:8-12

Messiah would be called Immanuel.

Isaiah 7:14

Matthew 1:23

Messiah would spend a season in Egypt.

Hosea 11:1

Matthew 2:14-15

A massacre of children would happen at Messiah's birthplace.

Jeremiah 31:15

Matthew 2:16-18

A messenger would prepare the way for Messiah

Isaiah 40:3-5

Luke 3:3-6

Messiah would be rejected by his own people.

Psalm 69:8
Isaiah 53:3

John 1:11
John 7:5

Messiah would be a prophet.

Deuteronomy 18:15

Acts 3:20-22

Messiah would be preceded by Elijah.

Malachi 4:5-6

Matthew 11:13-14

Messiah would be declared the Son of God.

Psalm 2:7

Matthew 3:16-17

Messiah would be called a Nazarene.

Isaiah 11:1

Matthew 2:23

Messiah would bring light to Galilee.

Isaiah 9:1-2

Matthew 4:13-16

Messiah would speak in parables.

Psalm 78:2-4
Isaiah 6:9-10

Matthew 13:10-15, 34-35

Messiah would be sent to heal the brokenhearted.

Isaiah 61:1-2

Luke 4:18-19

Messiah would be a priest after the order of Melchizedek.

Psalm 110:4

Hebrews 5:5-6

Messiah would be called King.

Psalm 2:6
Zechariah 9:9

Matthew 27:37
Mark 11:7-11

Messiah would be praised by little children.

Psalm 8:2

Matthew 21:16

Messiah would be betrayed.

Psalm 41:9
Zechariah 11:12-13

Luke 22:47-48
Matthew 26:14-16

Messiah's price money would be used to buy a potter's field.

Zechariah 11:12-13

Matthew 27:9-10

Messiah would be falsely accused.

Psalm 35:11

Mark 14:57-58

Messiah would be silent before his accusers.

Isaiah 53:7

Mark 15:4-5

Messiah would be spat upon and struck.

Isaiah 50:6

Matthew 26:67

Messiah would be hated without cause.

Psalm 35:19
Psalm 69:4

John 15:24-25

Messiah would be crucified with criminals.

Isaiah 53:12

Matthew 27:38
Mark 15:27-28

Messiah would be given vinegar to drink.

Psalm 69:21

Matthew 27:34
John 19:28-30

Messiah's hands and feet would be pierced.

Psalm 22:16
Zechariah 12:10

John 20:25-27

Messiah would be mocked and ridiculed.

Psalm 22:7-8

Luke 23:35

Soldiers would gamble for Messiah's garments.

Psalm 22:18

Luke 23:34
Matthew 27:35-36

Messiah's bones would not be broken.

Exodus 12:46
Psalm 34:20

John 19:33-36

Messiah would be forsaken by God.

Psalm 22:1

Matthew 27:46

Messiah would pray for his enemies.

Psalm 109:4

Luke 23:34

Soldiers would pierce Messiah's side.

Zechariah 12:10

John 19:34

Messiah would be buried with the rich.

Isaiah 53:9

Matthew 27:57-60

Messiah would resurrect from the dead.

Psalm 16:10
Psalm 49:15

Matthew 28:2-7
Acts 2:22-32

Messiah would ascend to heaven.

Psalm 24:7-10

Mark 16:19
Luke 24:51

Messiah would be seated at God's right hand.

Psalm 68:18
Psalm 110:1

Mark 16:19
Matthew 22:44

Messiah would be a sacrifice for sin.

Isaiah 53:5-12

Romans 5:6-8

My favorite messianic prophecies 1 Messiah born of a virgin 2 Messiah be called Emmanuel 3 Messiah would be a sacrifice for sin. These Title determine who I am today

Isaiah 9:6-7, For unto us TO US! This Child will come to us to save us....think of that!
And what qualities He will have. His power brings peace, not war. Righteousness and

justice, not despotism and corruption. And it will last forever!
There is an oblique reference in Isaiah 43:18cf....'Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old.....Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?"
Isaiah Chapter 53 must be the greatest and yet John 3:16 where we learn that God loved us
so much. He loves us! Loved us so much that He chose a people, fashioned their history,
put them through experiences, sent them prophets and gave them signs of His coming,
And He came to them and to us. Jesus, Yeshua, the anointed Son of Man, Son of God,
who came to save us by taking our sins upon Himself at the cross.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite messianic prophecy is:

The wolf will live with the lamb,

the leopard will lie down with the goat,

the calf and the lion and the yearling together;

and a little child will lead them.

The cow will feed with the bear,

their young will lie down together,

and the lion will eat straw like the ox.

The infant will play near the hole of the cobra,

and the young child put his hand into the viper's nest.

They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain,

for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD

as the waters cover the sea." (Isaiah

My favorite title is "Prince of Peace". We so need His Peace in the world today!

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite Messianic prophecy is Isaiah 9:6-9.

The title that means the most to me is "Mighty God."

This is because the Lord is powerful and reigns over creation and man.

• 2 years later...

The one prophecy that is my favorite is from Isaiah 11:6-9. Where it says that the animals who are natural predators will lie down with the ones that are prey. And that a young child will lead them and a baby will play by a snakes nest. That no animal or human will kill or hurt another anymore. That it will be a time of peace and rest and no one will have to be afraid anymore. It is something I look forward to as this world gets worse and worse. One day peace will come when He comes back and defeats and destroys Satan and his demons forever! 

Shepherd is most dear to me as I know He will not lead me astray. He will guide me and be with me in my journey and through my trials. He has never left me even though I sometimes forget Him. He tenderly brings me back and carries me just like a shepherd with his sheep. He never gives up on me and will always love me and protect me.

Isaiah 53 is my favorite Messainic prophecy because it speaks of Christ's sacrifice and how He chose to die for us and take the penalty of our sins upon Himself. Why since it constantly reminds me that I need a Savior and Redeemer for my sins daily who can atone for them since I cannot possibly do it myself.

My favorite title is My Beloved. Because He is mine and I am His when I pray I know He will answer me and hear my prayer when I am faithful to Him.

• 6 months later...

Which are your favorite messianic prophecies?

The prophecies that promise a time of peace.  Jesus came to bring peace on earth.  He wept over Jerusalem because they didn't know the way of peace.  They missed their day of visitation because they were looking for an earthly king.  I believe we are still looking for an earthly king and missing the peace that Jesus came to bring.  My journey with Jessu began with an intense time of peace.  I am wroking on getting back to that place of peace.

Which titles from those are dearest to you? Why?
Prince of Peace.  Because peace is the greatest thing our world needs.