JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Good Shepherd

The Good Shepherd guides and protects his people. If one tries to leave he will come after that sheep to bring him home. The Good Shepherd watches his people to make sure they are fully taken care of because they are not wise enough to do it on their own. The sheep does not see the dangers that are ahead but The Good Shepherd does and wants to protect them from it. The Good Shepherd is the leader. 

We can demonstrate we are Good Shepherds by following Jesus example not just doing things our own way. By having a loving attitude toward others that God has place in our care to minister to or bless. We don't just see it as another job but see it as glorifying God Almighty by allowing his love to shine through us to others in order to draw others that already belong to him closer to him or those who don't belong to him into salvation.

• 11 months later...

I have noticed that the analogies and images in these passages are very political. God uses political power and kingship as metaphors for what He does in the world and in our hearts.

So, here, the term shepherd is used, one I had thought referred only to the guy who ran with and after the sheep, but this word too, apparently, has political overtones in meaning. Within the verses listed just here, God is the great and chief shepherd who has a crown and throne. He’s an overseer who frees us yet lives majestically, etc.

Even the titles of church officials have political equivalents. I must say that I can’t think of a single high-ranking political official in my country who has selfless compassion and concern for the people in his/her district or area of governance. My country is so far from it’s Christian heritage that the people in charge are corrupt, on the take and utterly shameful in their warmongering and greed. For them, it’s not about giving selflessly, but getting greedily.

The church is a better place.

As individuals we’re required to shepherd others selflessly, to “give until it hurts.” We are not to be hired hands who do only what’s required, but shepherds who give all.