JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Active Faith

Q1. (Joshua 1:3) In what way is God’s promise to Joshua, “I will give you every place where you set your foot,” a conditional promise? What’s wrong with a faith that consists primarily of the philosophy: “If God wants me to have it he will give it to me”? What areas that God has promised you that you must press forward to receive?

For Joshua, in order to "get" the place, he had to go and "set his foot." He had to physically go to the place and be there, then God would fulfill his promise. This is consistent, in my opinion, with scripture as a whole. "Behold, I stand at the door and knock..." Jesus offers his love and grace and mercy to all, but they have to open the door and accept. For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whosoever believed in Him should not perish but have eternal life. There is a condition there as well.

My problem with the "If God wants me to have it..." philosophy is based on my understanding of faith. A definition I like to have of faith is trusting obedience. I trust the One in whom I have faith such that I obey. That implies action. And the funny thing is that I can't conjure up more faith. Faith itself is a gift of God. So...it's not just that if God wants me to have it, it's that every promise has a premise. God might want me to have it, but he invites me to join Him where He is working in order to get it.

God has promised many things. The one thing I have issue with is my trust in Him to care for my needs. I struggle with tithing. I have fear regarding finances. Yet He promises even to the point of saying to test Him in this. I should bring the whole tithe to the storehouse and see if He will not open the floodgates of heaven. I've seen it in others, yet I struggle myself. 

On 6/10/2016 at 2:37 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Joshua 1:3) In what way is God’s promise to Joshua, “I will give you every place where you set your foot,” a conditional promise? What’s wrong with a faith that consists primarily of the philosophy: “If God wants me to have it he will give it to me”? What areas that God has promised you that you must press forward to receive?

Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses."

The words “as I said unto Moses” suggest the importance of pausing to remember God’s past faithfulness before stepping out into an unknown future.

In my life whenever I have a dry spell (and there have been many) all I have to do is think about his past faithfulness to me. 

He is faithful even when I am not. All He wants is for us to love Him in return. We do that by trusting Him.  Joshua trusted  and God was faithful. 

We all need to apply those principles in our lives today. Even though we did not see the miracles that Joshua and Moses did.

We have the bible, we have Jesus and we have the Holy Spirit. How much more fortunate we are.

For the Israelites, God had given them a promise when He delivered them.  I will lead you to the Promised Land.  When they arrived and Moses sent spies into the land, only Joshua and Caleb believed God would give them the Land as He was greater than the obstacles the other ten feared.  God would give them the land, but they had to trust Him to do as He commanded and go where He led.  The first time, they didn't.  When Joshua returned to the land, He was willing to trust the Lord to go before them.

The promise was conditional on whether or not they would follow God.  Would they step out in faith and move forward and set their foot on the land or continue wandering int he wilderness?  A faith that primarily sits and waits for God to deliver it on a silver platter is a faith that isn't very active.  The first word of the Great Commission is "go."  God has given us a field that "White unto harvest."  The church can't sit back and only wait for the world to show up at the door.  The church needs to go out into the world, preach the gospel, disciple, love, serve, be salt and light, etc.  God will go before us and grant us success as we trust in Him.

This promise is conditioned on them setting foot on the place targeted. Without them taking action towards the promise the place will not be given to them. So in essence they had to advance towards the towns and cities to claim their promise.

It is wrong to just fold our arms just because God has promised us. Jesus tells me to GO and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and teaching them to observe all he has commanded. He promises to be with me always in Matthew 28:19-20. If I don't go and make, I will not experience Jesus' presence in this work.

In another passage Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things (food, clothing, drink, etc) will be given to you as well. So to have abundant life I have to search and obtain the reign of God in my life and be morally good the whatever I ask in Jesus name God will grant it pertaining to this life.

He also says in Psalm 37:4, " Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart." and I John 5:14 "And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:" Old as I am my desire is to get married to a God-fearing man and I am taking God at his promise to give me my desire. So far I have done and continue to do my part, his is still outstanding.

In what way is God’s promise to Joshua, “I will give you every place where you set your foot,” a conditional promise?                                                                                           They have to actually go there and occupy the places and do what God directs them to do with the inhabitants before God will give them possession of a particular area. They have to obey God and remain obedient to retain control over the land He has given them.

What’s wrong with a faith that consists primarily of the philosophy: “If God wants me to have it he will give it to me”?                                                                                                    God wants us to work with Him using the skills and abilities and spiritual gifts He's provided to go the places He guides us and do the jobs He gives us. People who are physically able to work for their own living and the common good are required to do so in God's economy.Proverbs 18:9-10 Whoever is lazy regarding his work is also a brother to the master of destruction. The name of the Lord is a strong tower; a righteous person rushes to it and is lifted up above the danger. Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatever you find to do with your hands, do it with all your mightbecause there is neither work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the grave, the place where you will eventually go. 2 Thessalonians 3:9-10 It was not because we do not have that right, but to give ourselves as an example for you to imitate. For even when we were with you, we used to give you this command: “If anyone is not willing to work, neither should he eat.”

What areas that God has promised you that you must press forward to receive?                                                                                                                                                           God has called me to be a leader of His people and a pastor of part of His flock. He guides me but expects me to be diligent in my responsibilities and faithful to Him and my congregation to work hard and well for them in order for us all to receive continued blessings in Christ. We (I) must move forward in obedience to His commands and not simply remain static, expecting Him to do the work for us.

Q1a. Well everything about God and heaven is conditional; you want your sacrifice to be accepted as a sweet smelling savor, your heart hast be right?; you want to be saved/ salvation, you have to accept Jesus Christ and commit to him; you want to go to heaven, you have to walk in Christ. God always gives man a choice, everything God offers, one must want it and strive to get it, and by strive I mean one must be obedient. Heb 6:13 says that through His promise and His oaths He delivers. So, basically conditions to Joshua is that they must want the land and set foot in it (that can be very literal) and believe that God will make good His promise

1b. Philosophy has no place with theology, one just have to look at children today who are rewarded without putting out any or little effort. Whether schoolwork, home work, teamwork the fundamental doctrine for success is obedience. Obedience to God, parents, teachers and managers. What would be missing if such a faith exists will be conditions and the freedom to choose, one could only imagine the chaos and lawlessness that would emerge 

1c. God has promised that He would provide all my needs, why then do I find myself making excuses  to Approach people and introduce them to the gospel

• 2 weeks later...

God only promised to give the land where they set their feet.   They had a part to play - in faith.   I think I am too timid in terms of reaching out to people with the truth.

• 8 months later...
On 6/10/2016 at 3:37 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

This is a conditional promise as it takes action from you. You actually have to take a step of faith and move. You cannot be passive to claim God's blessings. In the same breath, what He has for you is for you, but don't think that God is serving us by waiting to give these things to us when we are not showing faith to go get it. In my life personally, God has positioned me to be able to step into a role where I can impact many schools in the way that I have asked. However, I cannot be passive. I must trust Him to lead me there and guide me in the way I should go so that He can be glorified.

• 6 months later...

In what way is God’s promise to Joshua, “I will give you every place where you set your foot,” a conditional promise? 

Joshua has to go through the land to claim it.  If he were to sit back and do nothing, he would not be able to claim the lands.  He must go out and claim what God has promised him.

What’s wrong with a faith that consists primarily of the philosophy: “If God wants me to have it he will give it to me”?

We would never be challenged to go get what is offered if it were just handed to us.  

What areas that God has promised you that you must press forward to receive?

God has me continually studying His word to learn better what He wants of me.  I enjoy it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

The songwriter wrote " where he leads me I will follow". The old testament is the example of the faithfulness of God to a people who will trust in him and obey his command or his word. We get caught up in the physical and forget that God is spiritual.  We are spiritual. The physical will pass away, but the spiritual is eternal. God has given Joshua a command and tells him exactly where to go and what to do. The "conditional promise" is, if you do what I tell you, and go where I send you, I will give you. That is the promise that God offers to all who trust and obey. I want to receive eternal life with Him. While I am here physically, I live to do His will, as I do His will, he provides my needs, whatever they are. That is his promise to his people who walk in his word and do his will.  He tells us to not be concern about physical things but to live for the spiritual and when we do that he supplies whatever physical we may need when we ask in his name.  God is concerned about the soul of man, the spiritual.  Man is concerned about the physical because that is what we understand.  We process the teachings of the Bible as worldly possessions because it deals in physical lands and worldly and earthly history.  but it is only an example to live by, to show how to obtain that which is promised, which is spiritual, and that is salvation from sin and to live with God eternally.  The land that was promised, is promised , the "Promised Land" is HEAVEN....." where God reigns".  To live with Him in all His glory. The bible uses symbolism and metaphors to give man something which he understands to compare with. Plain and simple......let's hear the word of God, the whole 66 books of the bible...... Genesis 1... " IN THE BEGINNING GOD''......REVELATIONS..." I AM THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA, THE BEGINNING AND THE END, SAYS THE LORD, WHO IS AND WHO WAS AND WHO IS TO COME, THE ALMIGHTY".  . .   Those who hear the word, believe, confess, repent and walk according to His will and His word, who keep His commandments shall not perish but have everlasting life. Not physical but spiritual life. That is the promise of God to all who believe.  The body is physical, it returns to dust... the soul is spiritual,  eternal... we live to God.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

This is personal, but God gave me this Promise when I moved to Wales in 2015. I don't think I have claimed this Promise or my Promised Land. It's a time of reflection and repentance for me. The Spirit cannot work unless I give Him something to work with. God is God not a cosmic vending machine. Its partnership working

• 4 months later...

Joshua will only be given the land he walks in. It's active not passive. If he waits for God to give it to Him, nothing will happen. God has always said "Come, go, follow"

It is in the active, we meet the Holy Spirit, are trained and disciplined by Him, grow in relationship with Him....

God has asked me to stand with Him for Mid Wales and the LGBTQZ trans community.

• 8 months later...

Q1. (Joshua 1:3)

In what way is God's promise to Joshua, "I will give you every place where you set your foot," a conditional promise?

What's wrong with a faith that consists primarily of the philosophy: "If God wants me to have it He will give it to me"?

What areas that God has promised you that you must press forward to receive?

Joshua needed to do something to get the place. Every place where you set your foot.  Not other areas, but only, where you set your foot. That was the condition. They were not to be satisfied with standing still in one place, but needed to go forward.

That philosophy is kind of a strange one. In a way it seems like there is no faith to it at all.  It seems like expecting things to land in your lap.  Then again it depends on what the Lord has shown you about your actions for receiving something.  There are times when you trust the Lord for something and He clearly shows you to do nothing about getting it, except to trust Him.  His timing will be right. You then continue working with what the Lord has indeed shown you in a different area and at the right time He brings to pass what He has promised without you having lifted a finger, but indeed having prayed and believed.

Here for Joshua it was a conditional promise. Not only trusting and believing. He also had to do, to move, not just stand still.