JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Think on part of the scripture--chew on it like a cow her cud.  Let your heart absorb it.

Eastern meditation is emptying our minds--to nothingness (or open to satan & his demons)

The Holy Spirit gives us understanding.

Q4. (Joshua 1:8) What does it mean to meditate on the Word? What is the difference between Christian meditation and Eastern meditation? How does God work through his Word to renew our minds?

To meditate in the word means to read, think about the word says, turn over in your mind until it becomes part of you

The Christian meditation is Holy spirit driven and not just a mental exercise.

Through meditating in the word of God, we learn what he wants us to be and do.

To meditate means to hear/read the word of God with the desire to understand what is His will for us, to understand also how we can transform ourselves to righteousness by keeping his commands, statutes and rules and walking in His way

Eastern Religions are man made, the rules are man made and there are no constant standards to indicate "spiritual maturity". Usually the goals are personal and not God-breathed.

We use the word of God to transform our old self of malice, greed and envy to a new selfless life of service, sincerity and truth, pleasing God in the process.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Joshua 1:8) What does it mean to meditate on the Word? What is the difference between Christian meditation and Eastern meditation? How does God work through his Word to renew our minds?

To chew on it, to compare Scripture with Scripture, to apply it, to discuss it, to listen to teaching about it.   Eastern meditation attempts to clear the mind, to empty it, thereby creating a vacuum.  Who knows what will fill it?   It also assumes, I think, that answers are found within oneself.   Ha!

God retrains our thinking and in His mystical power, used the Word to grow and change us.

• 8 months later...

When I meditate on the Word of God, I am actively choosing to fill my mind with the Word and think on it, apply it, and reflect on it. It is unlike Eastern meditation which has you focus on you and clearing your mind. I want to be in tune with God so that He is who I see and who my eyes are on. When we spend time reading and meditating on the Word, it will renew us as He will speak through His word revealing matters to us.

• 6 months later...

What does it mean to meditate on the Word?

To think about, mull over, or ponder.

What is the difference between Christian meditation and Eastern meditation?

Christian- To think about, mull over, or ponder.    Eastern-  Hum or merge minds with the universe.

How does God work through his Word to renew our minds?

1. Faith Assurance: "I will never leave you or forsake you" (1:5)
  2. Faith Exhortation: "Be strong and very courageous" (1:6,9)
  3. Faith Food: "Meditate on it day and night" (1:8)

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

In this scripture God is speaking to Joshua and giving him instructions on how to lead the people as he did with Moses..  I do not know why we seek to reason and ask questions of what is meant by God's word.  he requires us all to meditate, which is to read his word daily, which will keep him and is word in us and with us constantly.  Jesus communed with the Father every day to seek instructions from  him on what His will was for him in the day. We have the word, the bible, that has been given, to know what God requires of us and how to obtain his will for us daily.  We are to walk n this word and seek him and do what he is asking us to do, if we want eternal life with him.  Just as God is instructing Joshua to lead the people and show them and tell them what He requires of them, they must as we must do everything according to his will and purpose. I don't know what Eastern meditation is, and I'm not concerned with it either, for that will distract me from doing God's will.  When we accept Christ as our personal Savior we must read and meditate on His word to commune with the Father because it is through him that God works in our lives and in our hearts.  God sees the heart of us.  He knows our hearts and our minds.. There is nothing hidden from him. He sees, all and knows all. The book of Joshua is a continuation of instructions for God's chosen people on being obedient to God's will and what will happen when they are and what will happen when they aren't.  The promises of God. Today, there is only one people of God.  Salvation is promised to all who will believe and trust and obey in the word of God.  There is no denominations. No Jew or Gentile. Just God's people, Christians, who are called by his name, according to His Purpose.  He adds to this church, we can not join or no man can accept or add to it. Read Acts 2, during Pentecost... "and the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved..."

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Q4. (Joshua 1:8)

What does it mean to meditate on the Word?

What is the difference between Christian meditation and Eastern meditation?

How does God work through his Word to renew our minds?

To meditate on the Word would be to read it and think about it. To mull it over. To consider seriously what is written.

Eastern meditation is dangerous and opens your mind to strange things , whereas meditation as is required by a Christian is to think carefully what God is telling us in the Bible passage we are reading.

When we meditate on Scripture, we ponder what God is saying and put it into practice, thereby renewing our minds.