JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Rahab's House

The spies were sent to learn of the cities layout and of its defense and how to enter it for battle. I think they lodged in Rehabs house because the soldier's  would not have thought to look for them there had someone not told them they were seen going there. They were known for their religious  beliefs and association with sinners would not have been acceptable. I do believe that God sent them there for it was in his plan to laid the way for the birth of the Messiah. It is through the linage of Rehab that the promise would be fulfilled. God always has a plan and we are called according to his purpose.

• 3 years later...

Q1. (Joshua 2:1)

What were the spies sent to learn?

Why do you think they sought to lodge in a prostitute's house?

Do you think God sent them there?

They were sent to see the layout of the land close by, especially around Jericho.  

That was the most likely place where they would not be searched for, also that is where they would be able to glean information about the feelings of the people of Jericho, without suspicion.  It would not be openly broadcasted who were at home in her house for business and what was said as this could easily open up a dark secret. So movements and messages were handled with discretion.

I do believe God's hand of mercy sent them to Rahab. He saw that she heard, trusted and believed in Him.