JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Discipline

Q2. (Haggai 1:6, 9-11) God sometimes disciplines us through hardships and circumstances (Hebrews 12:7-11). Sometimes through us not having all that we need. What is such discipline intended to do in our lives? I (believe it is for us to rely on Him totally and to surrendered unto Him. Such discipline is much needed in our lives because without it we would be complacent Christians. We will not be able to walk in holiness. As much as it seems unpleasant but it teaches us to walk right with God and when we are right with Him, peace follows within us.

Are you experiencing hardship? Yes and no because the challenges in my life began 10 years ago which led my family and me to be born again and being born again led to much hardship endured at the hands of others around us. But I began to understand that His grace is sufficient for us.

What is God trying to say to you in the midst of it? That he is sovereign and at the same time no one can stand against us when He is for us. What God is saying is that his ways and His thoughts are higher than ours. Only through obedience can we please Him.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Haggai 1:6, 9-11)

Q. God sometimes disciplines us through hardships and circumstances (Hebrews 12:7-11). Sometimes through us not having all that we need. What is such discipline intended to do in our lives?

A. Such discipline is intended to make us repent for disobeying him and to cause us to see the need to do as He expects us to do.

Q. Are you experiencing hardship?

A. Yes. I have been financially broke in the past six months in particular and wonder why. Though things are generally touph for many people my country Nigeria for now.

Q. What is God trying to say to you in the midst of it?

A. Problem is, I have been doing well in paying my tithes and offering- I think so. I thus wonder why He has allowed me to be broke. Maybe there are other areas He wants me to see my deficiency

• 9 months later...

When God disciplines us it is to get our attention, or maybe to teach us something, maybe be have been disobedient or neglectful in some way! 
We must expect to have hardships and sorrows in this life. It may just be part of living in a fallen, sinful world! John 16 v33 “In this world you will have trouble, but take heart I have overcome the world”. 
This verse is so accurate. We all have troubles but by  trusting in God and holding onto Him, we can come through and even experience Joy along the way.

I don’t have hardship at the moment Thank God, but there are always worries when you have children and grandchildren. I try my best to hand them over to the Lord and trust Him for each concern. It doesn’t always work but I ado experience His peace amid the crisis!  I think God is constantly asking us to trust Him to see us through every situation that arises in our lives.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 2:53 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Haggai 1:6, 9-11) God sometimes disciplines us through hardships and circumstances (Hebrews 12:7-11). Sometimes through us not having all that we need. What is such discipline intended to do in our lives? Are you experiencing hardship? What is God trying to say to you in the midst of it?

When God disciplines us, it is for us to realise our mistakes and then from them. A caring parent will always discipline his children so that their future is safe and they gain wisdom. In like token God has an eye on our future - esp our eternal future. Hardships are a way of learning through wisdom and experience. Wisdom comes from the Holy Spirit. Hardships should ideally make us more sensitive to the quiet gentle voice of the Holy Spirit.