JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Mercy and Compassion

Q2. (Zechariah 7:9-10; 8:16-17) What does it look like to operate from a policy of mercy and compassion? God commands justice for the poor and oppressed in our culture. How can we be sure that the poor are treated justly in our courts? How do you treat aliens in your country, sojourners from another land? Why is speaking truthfully with others so important to God?

• 1 month later...

Caring for others, doing what we can for them.  Sometimes it is meeting needs.  Also, showing them God's love.

Speak the truth.  When we serve our time on juries, we need to be truthful there too.  Also electing people with the truth concept in their lives.  Then whoever they appoint to courts will use the same truth concepts.

Aliens in our country should be treated  with mercy & compassion.  Most have been kicked out of their own country and they have lost almost everything.  We need to be good neighbors.

He hates lying.  He is the truth.  No swearing--just say yes or no and that's all.  People won't believe someone who has to swear that what they say is the truth.  He should always speak the plain truth.  If you are in court, yes, swear to that truth on a Bible. :-)

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Zechariah 7:9-10; 8:16-17) What does it look like to operate from a policy of mercy and compassion?

Zechariah says it is to show true judgment and  mercy and kindness and tender compassion. That would include even the small things, like meeting the eyes and a smile. Allowing the law to deal with the legalities but to tend to any needs that you see would be helpful. I've been trying to remember to pray for salvation when I see an "alien" or meet them in the store. I look for opportunities to speak, even if only to say Hello or May the Lord bless you. Ch. 8:16,17 includes speaking the truth and not devising evil or injury in ones heart toward a neighbor. It happens that what once was mostly a Caucasian neighborhood is now mostly other nationalities, and I'm finding it difficult to show kindness other than in greetings due to language barriers, and very privacy minded cultures. So I mostly just pray for them. If they are out walking when I pass in the car, I smile and wave, and usually receive a smile in return. I took plates of Christmas cookies to several neighbors which seemed to be very appreciated, even if they don't celebrate Christmas.

God commands justice for the poor and oppressed in our culture. How can we be sure that the poor are treated justly in our courts?

I think the only role I could play is to pray for justice to be meted out. We can read legislation and vote for bills which promote fairness or whatever is appropriate.

How do you treat aliens in your country, sojourners from another land?

I guess I answered that in Q1 already. The only other thing I can think of is to show hospitality and invite them into our homes for lunch, or dinner or to accompany us on an outing. To spend more time may be the opening to share Christ, which is always my desire as an evangelist.

Why is speaking truthfully with others so important to God? 

We are His ambassadors and represent Him to whomever we speak. We are told to "speak the truth in love", because He is truth. To speak lies is to represent our former father, the devil which would encourage him to get a foothold in our lives where he can promote his agenda and his lies more freely.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:32 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Zechariah 7:9-10; 8:16-17) What does it look like to operate from a policy of mercy and compassion? God commands justice for the poor and oppressed in our culture. How can we be sure that the poor are treated justly in our courts? How do you treat aliens in your country, sojourners from another land? Why is speaking truthfully with others so important to God?

To operate from a policy of mercy and compassion emulates God's character.  Elections play a very important part in our court system. To assure that the poor are treated justly, we must take time to learn the people that are running for offices to determine if they will treat the poor justly.  We must pray for our elected officials.  When we serve on juries, we must be truthful in our decisions of guilty or innocence.  In today's climate, aliens are not treated well.  Instead of showing love and compassion we mistreat them.  We use to be a country that welcomed aliens. We knew that they came to America to escape the oppression they were under and make a better life for themselves and their families.  Speaking truthfully with others is important to God because we represent Him.  Our God is a God of truth.

On 8/16/2017 at 5:32 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Answer: To operate from a policy of mercy and compassion, we Christian must have a true heart dealing with the less fortunate people. Especially the elderly,  the poor, the widower and even the strangers.

Answer: We must pray that God will give us political leaders who if possible are Christian or if not God-fearing people who will be just in their dealing both to the wealthy specially to the poor.

Answer: I treat them fairly and justly because this is God command for us as Christian.

Answer: Because our God is a God of truth and He hate when we speak lies and untruth to others.

On 8/16/2017 at 5:32 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Answer: To operate from a policy of mercy and compassion, we Christian must have a true heart dealing with the less fortunate people. Especially the elderly,  the poor, the widower and even the strangers.

Answer: We must pray that God will give us political leaders who if possible are Christian or if not God-fearing people who will be just in their dealing both to the wealthy specially to the poor.

Answer: I treat them fairly and justly because this is God command for us as Christian.

Answer: Because our God is a God of truth and He hate when we speak lies and untruth to others.

To operate from a policy of mercy and compassion is to love those who dislike you. If you can do that then that will have mercy and compassion. I don’t think that the poor are treated justly in our courts. The rich are able to hire more sophisticated lawyers then poor can. They can only get those that are willing to work for them for nothing.

I treat aliens like I do anybody else. I don’t differentiate from an alien from a citizen. The truth is important to God because we have got to believe in others. When we lie to each other then there is no confidence in what they are saying and therefore they will not be able to pass on the word of God.

Q2. (Zechariah 7:9-10; 8:16-17)

Q. What does it look like to operate from a policy of mercy and compassion?  

A. It is Godly as those are the attributes of the Lord God Almighty. Though a just God, He is merciful and compassionate.

Q. God commands justice for the poor and oppressed in our culture. How can we be sure that the poor are treated justly in our courts?

A. By setting the requirement in our legal system and also preaching same on our pulpits.

Q. How do you treat aliens in your country, sojourners from another land? 

A. They are wholly welcome in our country Nigeria. They mingle freely and engage in various jobs.

Q. Why is speaking truthfully with others so important to God?

A. Because Truth is God's nature and we as His children should be truthful

Operating with mercy means to be a forgiving person. Too many people today have a “depends on the crime (as well as who committed it) way of thinking. Just as Jesus is willing to show mercy on us, we are required to show it also if we ourselves are to be forgiven. Compassion comes under a slightly different heading in that given a leadership role, punishment for wrongs is required. No revenge, but punishment. That doesn’t mean first offense for stealing an apple gets your hand chopped off, but at the same time right from wrong must be established. Perhaps the best way of describing the compassion aspect of the equation would be akin to Matthew_18:32  Then his master summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me.

Making sure the poor are treated fairly in courts can be done by electing fair judges (take the time to find out just what they represent) and by not being afraid to stand up for justice if on a jury. By not being conned into testifying against someone wrongly knowing they can’t even afford to defend themselves (don’t do it to anybody, btw). By not being afraid to come forward when in knowledge of information of oppression.

I try to treat people the same and find most people are receptive to that and by nature most people are friendly. It brings to light the old saying “treat others as you would have them treat you”, and for me it is especially true because being Caucasian, I appreciate being treated in a kind manner when I travel to the Philippines to visit family.

It is important to God because it is His nature to act that way, and if for any other reason the simple fact that He requires us to act that way.

Q2. (Zechariah 7:9-10; 8:16-17) 
What does it look like to operate from a policy of mercy and compassion? 
God commands justice for the poor and oppressed in our culture. 
How can we be sure that the poor are treated justly in our courts? 
How do you treat aliens in your country, sojourners from another land? 
Why is speaking truthfully with others so important to God? 

A society functioning under a policy of mercy and compassion will display attributes of justice, love and compassion. It will see that justice is done and kindness and mercy shown to one another. 
True justice will be administered by sound judgment in the courts of law. No lies told under oath. Widows, orphans, foreigners, and the poor will not be mistreated. There will be no evil plans made to hurt each other. These attributes, if shown, will prove the genuineness of our commitment to God. 

Neglect of these duties will lead to a society that has gone dead towards God. In such an insensitive society there is no fair and just administration of justice, no demonstration of mercy and compassion for weak and hurting individuals, no looking out for widows, orphans, or the poor, and no end of conjuring up ways of doing evil. Unfortunately, this is what has happened to my beautiful country. Our state has been captured by a core of utterly corrupt politicians who have plundered our state resources. So-called justice has been perverted and twisted by the influence of those in power. The courts are manipulated to suit them. There is no concern for genuine truth. There is no justice or concern for the poor. There is no border control. Our country is full of illegal aliens, putting pressure on our limited structures. We are the murder capital of the world (49 murders every day). We are the rape capital of the world (One rape every 13 minutes). A truly sad state of affairs. 

Mercy and compassion can be viewed from two points of view: 1) they can be viewed from a personal point of view and also 2) from a Community point of view.

From a personal point of view it means that an individual must look at others with love, compassion and justice. These three are attributes of God's character.

from a community point of view these three are even more important because when an evil exists in a person then it only effects the person and those with whom he comes in contact but in the community situation many can be hurt buy a lack of love, compassion and justice. Therefore we must be very careful and considerate when we have a say in our electing and selecting off those who are in A procession to exercise love, compassion and Justice in society. So often in democracies when these attributes are not considered in selecting Representatives then the result is oppression, injustice and mistreatment.

Q2. (Zechariah 7:9-10; 8:16-17) What does it look like to operate from a policy of mercy and compassion? God commands justice for the poor and oppressed in our culture. How can we be sure that the poor are treated justly in our courts? How do you treat aliens in your country, sojourners from another land? Why is speaking truthfully with others so important to God?

1. Mercy is rendering assistance to a person in need of certain circumstances and unable to help him or herself. Compassion is having a steadfast love and concern that never ends. Both is expressing love and concern for others.

2. We need to have the love of God. With that, we can give aid to those in need. It doesn’t matter what kind of assistance they need, we Christians are to do our best.

3. I treat them nice and assist them in learning the way things are in my town. I embrace them so that they can feel welcome.

4. God is truthful and he is not a liar. All men should know the true word of God which is not comprising.

What does it look like to operate from a policy of mercy and compassion? God commands justice for the poor and oppressed in our culture. How can we be sure that the poor are treated justly in our courts? How do you treat aliens in your country, sojourners from another land? Why is speaking truthfully with others so important to God?

Just like God is merciful and compassionate with us, we, too, should show the same to others. This includes forgiving others, being understanding of their circumstances and lending a hand when we see it's needed.

One way we can be sure the poor are treated justly is by participating in our voting system. We need to get involved so we can elect godly, pious, just, men and women to represent us. We can pray for our judges, lawyers, etc.

I, myself, do not see a person's color, race, gender, nationality, whether legal or illegal. They are human beings just like us that need to be treated equally, with respect. We are all God's creation. We all have the same needs required to survive in this world.

God is TRUTH. If we have Christ in us, as we say we do, then Truth should be in us, too. For God and the Son are one, and we are one with the Son and the Father. There should be found no lie in us. For the devil is the Father of Lies, for he lied since the beginning. I'm not saying I've never lied before, because I then I wouldn't be saying the truth. But, we are new creations in Christ and we represent God here on earth. We don't want to make a mock of God. We are to bring people to Jesus and alienate them, which we would be doing if we are known as liars, untruthful. We are to imitate Christ, Who's Character and Attribute is Truth.

• 2 weeks later...

Mercy and compassion are always with us because we live in the world and we believe our God.

As Christian we know the Problem with human being, sometimes no help for the justice, but we have our God, communicate with Him in our pray

We speak truthfully with others so important to God because we share  also to God in our pray

• 2 weeks later...

While I have only just come back to these study questions and am about 2 months behind, yet I am not. You see, a friend of mine 3 months ago asked me to study Malachi with him, which I so enjoyed studying. This is still ahead and it will be a breeze for me, as I have already studied it in depth. So, I will catch up my friends. There was a God given reason! 

Mercy and compassion looks like a fundamental trait of God, our Father, Jesus and Holy Spirit. O that we can all operate like that, most especially to the weak, poor, oppressed, sad and lonely.

We cannot be sure of the justice of those who preside in our earthly courts, other than those that might be genuine Christians. Even then, the law of our land sometimes prevents them from bringing true justice. I have seen it, in the face of a judge who presided over a class action against a ban, at the end of a 7 year court battle; the bank won on technicalities, funded by their many clever barristers. Nevertheless,  O God is so generous to those He loves; for me and another Christian friend, out of 20,000 families, we were blessed of God. The bank forgoed hundreds of thousands of dollars in our favour; we fought every way and through every avenue we knew how, keeping our Christian faith and values and avoided bankruptcy as a result. At the same time, within weeks, the Tax office forgoed $50,000 , knowing that although the law and their limited guidelines would say no, but in the circumstances they said yes you do not have to pay the fine. It took a long time, a long honest battle, and God came through at the 11th hour. God treats us justly! His court in heaven is just!

See above amazing story, as to why truth prevails. God is faithful to those who follow him in truth and love. Thank You Lord!

On 8/15/2017 at 5:32 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To operate from a policy of mercy and compassion we must have genuine love in our heart for others.  God commands justice for the poor and oppressed in our culture,  we can we be sure that the poor are treated justly in our courts by letting mercy dictate the judgment being meted out.   Aliens in our country, sojourners from another land are treated,  for the most part, with fairness and dignity; but at the same time upholding the law of the land when they are found to be illegally entering our country.  Speaking truthfully with others is so important to God because he hates liars, in Proverbs one of the seven deadly sins is a lying tongue..

• 3 weeks later...

What does it look like to operate from a policy of mercy and compassion?  Mercy triumphs over judgment. God’s mercy never comes to an end, they are new every morning. Justness, steadfast love, and compassion are attributes of God’s character.

God commands justice for the poor and oppressed in our culture. How can we be sure that the poor are treated justly in our courts? God commands us to follow his example of doing what is good, right and pleasing in his eyes. It is stated that he defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow and loves the alien.

How do you treat aliens in your country, sojourners from another land? They are given legal rights to live in the country. They are treated with dignity.

Why is speaking truthfully with others so important to God? This is because our God is a God of truth.

• 3 weeks later...

Operating from a policy of mercy and compassion results in laws and customs that protect the widow, fatherless, the stranger, the poor in other words loving your neighbor as yourself.  Lifting up your neighbor vice plotting to do evil to your neighbor.  God acts in truth and justice and he commands us to do the same.  

Throughout American history it has always opened its arms for refugees and immigrants, but its citizens have not always treated them well.  In fact some who were treated badly treated newcomers badly.  America is a country governed by laws, if those laws are practiced and implemented without bias then all people will be treated fairly.  As an individual, I try to "do unto others as I want to them to unto me."  Regardless of who they are or where they come from.  We are all sojourners on this planet and in this life.

Edited by Craig
spelling

• 3 weeks later...

2. (Zechariah 7:9-10; 8:16-17) What does it look like to operate from a policy of mercy and compassion? God commands justice for the poor and oppressed in our culture. How can we be sure that the poor are treated justly in our courts? How do you treat aliens in your country, sojourners from another land? Why is speaking truthfully with others so important to God?

Operating from a policy of mercy and compassion looks like doing unto others as you would do unto yourself and loving your neighbor as yourself.  It's seeing yourself in others which eliminates otherness.  It's taking care of people regardless of who they are and acting justly to all.

This applies to all institutions in our country.  Fairness and equal treatment to both citizen and sojourner.   God is truth therefore we must speak the truth.

• 1 year later...

A deep sense of compassion for people, a mercy giver. 
By treating them with respect and dignity. By making sure our courts are just and fair.
Because speaking the truth pleases God.  So we speak, not to please men, but rather God.

• 1 year later...

To operate from a policy of mercy and compassion means being faithful to God and emulating Him. We can see from the Scriptures that Jesus was always merciful and full of compassion therefore we must be the same. If we remember that we are sinners saved by grace and remembering how God has shown mercy and compassion to us how can we treat anyone else differently. In wider society we must speak up for those less well off that ourselves. We can also help in small but practical ways eg do voluntary work in a charity shop that funds housing or raises funds for children etc. Volunteer for food bank work. 
There are different opportunities in different places. 
By using our vote we can endeavour to elect people with high values into office which will in turn help to get just judges into the courts. But we do need to take elections seriously and scrutinise the candidates and listen to what they have to say so that we can vote for the best person available who is interested in helping those who are vulnerable in society.

If we have to do jury service we must carry this out with bias in any way, and judge on the facts of the case. We must pray for God’s guidance during this time.

We must always pray for our leaders and ask God to guide them even if they are not believers.

I don’t have very much to do with people from other lands these days but have in the past. I have always treated them as I would anyone from my own land. I tried to help those that were in difficult circumstances in any way I could. I am conscious that their culture very often is different, and often found myself defending them to other peers that were impatient and biased against them. Unfortunately in our country we have a lot of ignorance resulting in resentment and antipathy towards people from other countries.

Number 23 v19 God is not human, that He should lie, not a human being, that He should change His mind.

God is truth, He cannot lie if we profess to be Christian then we also must not lie to anyone, and especially to our fellow Christians.