JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Gentle but Fearless Witness

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2004 at 10:07 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness? Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

1. Persecution means some level of discomfort, pain and rejection. Our fallen nature naturally wants to defend ourselves. It takes a certain amount of maturity in Christ to quickly yield to the Holy Spirit for His response to our persecutors.

2. It's easy to be a lousy witness because that's the knee jerk response. Our old nature, though "dead to sin" can quickly "rise from the grave" and act ugly. We have to WANT to CHOOSE to yield to Holy Spirit in order to be the kind of witness which honors our Lord.

3. I would say "having a clear conscience" meaning that if I'm having "one of those days" and I'm carrying anger or unforgiveness in my heart, I'm less apt to engage with gentleness when feeling unjustly accused, or persecuted in other ways.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/20/2004 at 1:07 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness? Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

It can be hard for us to witness when we are being persecuted because we may be tempted to return insults for insults.

When our surrounding environment is chaotic we may try to deliver the word of God, but because tempers have flared and attitudes are at their worst, peace should be sought before trying to deliver the gospel.

In the above situation, compassion and a harmonious atmosphere would best suit our purpose for delivering the word of God (witnessing) to the individuals.  

Fear, mainly.  However, reading accounts of those really persecuted--in dangerous situations have encouraged me when I hear of their bravery and know they have their eyes fixed on Jesus so it becomes necessary to share with others.

Keep a clear conscience.  People see how you behave and it doesn't match your words.

Gentleness is needed.  So many ways to share with others.  The Holy Spirit needs to direct us.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Focus on Christ rather than your fears. Just hinking about Christ died for our Sins.

Q2. (3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness?  Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

Because of fear

We hide our identity in areas of hazards

All four are needed especially the one that requires us to focus on Christ instead of focusing of fear

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness?  Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

It is so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted because so often we focus on the pain we're experiencing and not the strength God is giving us to forbear.   It is easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness when we are not mindful of the fact that we have the Spirit within to empower and to guide us in all things.   Of Peter's four instructions I find most needed in my particular situation, to "Focus on Christ rather than your fears".  I agree with Dr. Wilson that this is vital.  Just this morning I was also reminded that fear  propels illness.  But on the other hand the good fear, the fear of the Lord will bring the focus on Christ and drive away all fears.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q2. Gentle but Fearless Witness
  • 5 months later...

This has little to do with fear -- it is difficult to contain the anger and sheer fury at those who persecute the innocent, particularly it is yourself or someone you love. The tendency and desire is to take retribution into your own hands rather than cede it to God. The desire is to stand in front of the court and blast them with your well-conceived articulate arguments ... leaving them speechless and ashamed at being caught in their own bigotry.

I don't know when it's appropriate to fight back. Perhaps now. Obviously passivity in the face of rogue bureaucrats and immoral legislation has gotten us nowhere. The persecution is increasing. Shouldn't we do something to end it? 

I find being gentle the most difficult command to obey.