JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Still Small Voice

Why do you think the author contrasts the "still small voice" to the wind, earthquake, and fire?

To show us how gentle, forgiving, and loving Our Father is. Wind, earthquake and fire, can all cause tremendous damage. We tend to run from them for fear of being hurt. Father wanted Elijah to draw near to Him, not run away from Him.

How does God's voice comfort and renew Elijah?

There was no rebuke in His voice. Although Elijah felt worthless for being afraid and running away to hide, Father still thought of him as useful, and continued to use him.

Elijah thought he was the only prophet left, but when Father told him that there were 7000, it would have renewed Elijah's faith, and strength, to carry on, knowing that Father will not forsake him, but continue to protect and provide for him every step of the way.

Why is it easy to miss God when his voice is gentle and quiet?

We can become too busy, be distracted with worldly things, or our environment can become too unbalanced or noisy to hear the gentle whisper of Fathers voice, that is why it is so important to have that quiet time with Him. To be still.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the drama of fire and deluge-like rains, to Elijah, God's whisper must have seemed like being scorned. He had heard God's voice clearly and audibly in the past, so why did God whisper now at a moment of mental confusion and desperation? Again, and again, I wonder why God doesn't just talk audibly if communication is HIs goal.

I think there's a sense of chastisement when God whispers but will not speak.

--

Elijah didn't get comfort from God's voice, or I didn't read it that way. Elijah was put back on God's path with work when God gave Elijah something to do, a new assignment. Self-pity was no longer an option if he was to obey God. Elijah had to get up, brush himself off, and busy himself with God's newest assignment. That he did.

--

Quiet sounds are less noticed than louder sounds. Muted noises are easier to ignore. When I write, I insert rubbery plugs into my ears which mute, not silence, noise around me. Only then can I concentrate. For this reason, I find it troubling and perplexing that God would choose to communicate in a manner easily ignored and on which it is difficult to focus. Again, if His goal is to communicate, why not communicate clearly to get His point across?

I'm frustrated. It's a bit of a game: God whispers and I strain to hear and understand Him. I see no point in this. I'd much rather have God clearly talk only a few times in life, than often worry I'm listening to the sounds of my own mind and not Him. I'm sorry, Sir. I know I'm supposed to understand God's voice more clearly during these lessons, but I'm increasingly frustrated by the futility and process of trying to hear Him when He's perfectly capable of being clear. 

• 1 year later...

Q1. (1 Kings 17-19)

Why do you think the author contrasts the "still small voice" to the wind, earthquake, and fire?

The wind earthquake and fire are powerful things and scary things.  There is noways that they can come anywhere near being a comfort, as what a still small voice can be.

How does God's voice comfort and renew Elijah?

Elijah was churned up inside. Anything but calm and quiet.  To think and act rationally he had to get calmed down again.  God's quiet voice calms him down. He has to concentrate to listen. In that way he can lay aside what is bothering him and become refreshed or renewed and can hear about the new work God has assigned for him.

Why is it easy to miss God when his voice is gentle and quiet?

There is too much busyness around us and too much distraction and then we don't select to calm down, concentrate and hear what He is telling us. Come away from the hustle and bustle, give God the attention and time He requires of you, then you will hear His quiet voice. 

• 4 months later...

The author contrast  the" still small voice" to "the wind, earthquake and fire" because he wants us to understand that God loves us so much that even if when have done wrong, he will not come us with harsh but always tries to gently show us what we did not do right. God does not use the power He has to rebuke us but will use the still small voice to guide us into what He wants us to hear unlike using the wind, earthquake and fire.

God's voice comforts Elijah and renew him by letting him know that he is not only prophet let as He has more prophets left. Moreover, he gives a companion Elisha who will be there to assist him and that when it is time for Elijah to die, Elisha will take over. But I also like the provision that God gives to Elijah daily showing him how much He cares.

It is easy to miss God when His voice is gentle and quiet because our minds most of the time are focused on what we want to hear or see. We always come to God with preconceived ideas and want God to okay what we think is right. We mumble and do not give God time to speak to us and always want to take over the reign. We must allow God to talk to us. Our busyness always makes us miss His voice. He says in His Word " Be still and know that I am God". We need to be still in order to hear that small, still and gentle voice. 

• 3 months later...

1 Kings 17-19) Why do you think the author contrasts the “still small voice” to the wind, earthquake, and fire?
I think most of the time we expect God to speak in a loud powerful booming voice. I know I’ve thought that way. I think He meets us where we are and in that situation Elijah needed comfort. So God spoke calmly to him. I found it amazing that God allowed Elijah to vent, as He listened like our earthly fathers listen when we have a problem. It really shows how God is an amazing Father and He really does love us. 

How does God’s voice comfort and renew Elijah?
 It comforted Elijah to hear his savior, his Father speak to him in a calm voice. To reassure him that He understands what His child is feeling. It again to me shows His love for us. 

Why is it easy to miss God when his voice is gentle and quiet?

When we are so consumed with what’s going on around us it’s hard to stop and listen to the quietness. 

• 1 month later...

Why do you think the author contrasts the "still small voice" to the wind, earthquake, and fire? 
a: 
The contrast behind Gods still voice was to slow is to see the character of God in the other elements yet to also let us know that in fellowship and communion with Him He will also speak in a calm voice  
How does God's voice comfort and renew Elijah? His voice comforts and renewed Elijah because He gave Him the assurance that He’s there in the midst of his situation 
Why is it easy to miss God when His voice is gentle and quiet? Because we allow the distractions of the day from social media, cell phones and other things that vies for our attention to cause us to miss Gods still voice

• 3 months later...

Q.1 The author contrast still small voice with earth quake , wind and fire to show us that God can speak to us in many form to get our attention , and will choose to use either depending  on the circumstance 

God comforts Elijah by by pointing him to his new companion Elisha who will later takes after him

It is easy to miss God's  still small voice because there is so much noise happening  around us that distract us  such that God will speak and do not recognize  its  Him speaking

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (1 Kings 17-19) Why do you think the author contrasts the “still small voice” to the wind, earthquake, and fire? How does God’s voice comfort and renew Elijah? Why is it easy to miss God when his voice is gentle and quiet?

I think that most believe God would speak to us in that manner.

Because God spoke to him in such a comforting soft way to Elijah it brought love and reassurance.

We tend to think it's our own thoughts owe miss his voice over all the problems of the world.