JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Counselors and Mentors

Q5. (Proverbs 11:14) Why is it valuable to counsel with spiritual people in the Christian community when we're learning to discern God's voice? The spiritual mentor should be someone sincerely seeking God who shall have travelled on a similar road before, gotten spiritually bruised by mistaking evil voices as discernment of God’s voice, persevered, improved by trial and error, matured spiritually, and then graduated to provide spiritual guidance for the glory of God. This is a valuable reference point for us beginners. How is having a spiritual mentor helpful? It ensures that we are on the right track while we are learning to discern God’s voice. What is the danger of always going to another person to confirm God's word? We might waste time and lose the opportunity that God was directing us towards. Furthermore, as humans we are prone to temperamental fluctuations which might cause confusion rather than godly mentoring. Why is out-growing a mentor a common occurrence? We should emulate the Great Mentor who taught, then gave the great commission and sent the Holy Spirit. Mentorship that does not prepare God’s children to eat solid spiritual food is a failed mentorship.

• 4 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (Proverbs 11:14) Why is it valuable to counsel with spiritual people in the Christian community when we’re learning to discern God’s voice? How is having a spiritual mentor helpful? What is the danger of always going to another person to confirm God’s word? Why is out-growing a mentor a common occurrence?

Why is it valuable to counsel with spiritual people in the Christian community when we’re learning to discern God’s voice?

It is valuable to counsel with spiritual people in the Christian community when we’re learning to discern God’s voice because being part of a Christian community provides safety to us, since we can find spiritual men and women who can counsel us and help us discern God's voice 

How is having a spiritual mentor helpful?

Having a spiritual mentor is helpful as there are always those who are more mature in spiritual things. And, as the scripture tells us, there is wisdom in the counsel of others.

What is the danger of always going to another person to confirm God’s word?

There is a danger of always going to another person to confirm God's word, because God might not have revealed to that person the things he is revealing to you and they might speak to you from a place of ignorance.

Why is out-growing a mentor a common occurrence?

Out-growing a mentor may be a common occurrence because many choses to seek older, in age, persons to mentor them.

• 6 months later...

Why is it valuable to counsel with spiritual people in the Christian community when we're learning to discern God's voice?

Father can use these people to assist and support us on our journey, and as they are spiritual people Father could also use them to speak to us.

They would be more mature in their walk with Christ and have more knowledge of scripture, a therefore able to answer certain questions we might have, stop us from making the same mistakes they might have made at the beginning of their walk.

What is the danger of always going to another person to confirm God's word?

That you will never be able to decern Fathers, but become reliant on the other person.

We all learn at different paces, some are hungrier than others. Father calls us to become different parts of the body of Christ. Father might tell us to move away from that person and seek out someone else to assist us on the next part of our journey.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 8 months later...

People who have spiritual mentors are blessed -- I am not one of them. God has never chosen to place me with someone more spiritually mature, so I've had to struggle through sanctification by myself. I think my experience is the norm, not the exception.  Most Christians are not mentored.  

So, given the fact that most Christians have never been mentored, and, sadly, do not trust other Christians with deeply revealing/personal information, God must reach down and help Christians discern His voice.  In a way, not having deep, trusting fellowship forces the Christian to skips steps in his or her maturity from babe to advanced. The middle steps would normally be taken in small groups and with trusted friends. Since these trusted relationships don't exist, neither does the "horizontal" counsel of which you speak. In fact, there's no counsel at all. Discernment, then, is wholly vertical, between me and God.

If I hear God wrongly, I have to trust God to re-straighten my path. There is no human counsel -- failure is possible, but God, Himself, must correct me. Failure is possible with counsel, too.

In these circumstances, outgrowing a mentor does not happen.

• 1 year later...

Q5. (Proverbs 11:14)

Why is it valuable to counsel with spiritual people in the Christian community when we're learning to discern God's voice?

What is the danger of always going to another person to confirm God's word?

This thing with having a mentor is scary.  Sharing something with someone is really making oneself stand "naked' before them , hiding nothing.  Krissi I can understand what you are saying and can understand it to become a fear. The big thing is to be open before the Lord and if He directs you to someone, know that you will have peace in revealing your innermost being with them and praying together, the big thing is not to cling to that person and use them as a pillar to lean on. That's dangerous. Always use God and Him alone as Your ultimate pillar.  

I have answered the above questions in a general way.  I have had a wonderful mentor and have learnt things now that would have been nice if I rather didn't know. Be careful.   I was told that many times.   A good illustration I was given was to bring it all to God in prayer.   Our life journey is like a pathway strewn with pebbles, rocks, boulders etc. Sometimes little shrubs or bushes whose roots have become strong or just weeds with little roots are in the path. The pebbles are quite easy to move out the way. Some of the rocks also. Big boulders are easier removed with help.   (Just so the weeds with weak roots are easy to pull out, but not the roots that are embedded into hard ground) That was where the help of the mentor came in. Together you bring it to God in prayer. Sometimes it will need a few sessions of agonizing prayer. Maybe going in deeper about the reason for that problem.  To remove the problem. Roots and all needed to be pulled out. The ground had become hard. So guidance, prayer and tears was an easier option than trying to walk the road alone.  I trust that God will place a true prayer partner in your/our path.   

Thank goodness He is there and He is faithful and true.   

• 5 months later...

Counsel with spiritual people assist us not to go astray thinking that we have heard the Voice of God but miss the important aspects that God wants us to do. They guide and always pray with us because as immature people in the things of God, we need to learn from those who have walked the path with God.

Mentors are there to assist us when we need to pray together on what we have heard God speak in our lives. They guide us in understanding the Word of God and prepare us to be able to hear when God speaks to us.

The danger of going to another person is when God has not spoken to him and that person ends up leading you astray. When you are not sure if it is God speaking to you, inquire of Him and He will answer you.

Our reliance should always be on God and not man. When you have matured, it is in your relationship with God, politely thank your mentor and go out to mentor others that are new in the things of God.

• 3 months later...

Q5. (Proverbs 11:14) Why is it valuable to counsel with spiritual people in the Christian community when we’re learning to discern God’s voice?
They are more spiritually mature than we are so they can help us understand if we are In fact hearing from Christ. They also are more discerning than a baby in Christ would be.

How is having a spiritual mentor helpful?

It’s so helpful to have someone that’s mature in Christ to talk to. Especially when your reading Gods word and don’t quiet understand, or you feel like you might not be doing this new change in your life the right way. Even for an accountability person to encourage you to stick with it when your struggling with things in your past. 

What is the danger of always going to another person to confirm God’s word?
You don’t know if the advise they are giving you is from God or there own thoughts. Satan is sneaky and he will use who ever he can to try to get you to turn away from God. It’s so important to take everything to God in prayer and wait until you hear from him.

Theres a saying that everybody isn’t headed where your going. As you grow spiritually there will be people that you will leave behind. An that’s ok, they just aren’t going where God is taking you and you’ll meet new mentors along the way.

• 5 months later...

Q.5. A mentor is someone who has grown spiritually  and capable hearing The voice of God than you would as a novice , therefore he/she is able to provide you with guidance

We will be sure we are on the right track as he /she has walked with God far more than I have

The danger might be when what he is guiding you on is not what God want for you and  you do as told without inquiring  on the Lord with regards to the matter