JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Gifts with Humility

If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them?

They may be seeking self glory, they may be feeling lonely, or left out. They might be riding on the back of christianity, for their own gain. 

About their sense of self-worth? About their maturity?

They probably have low self esteem, and are still drinking spiritual milk, still learning, still being worked on.

Their realism?
They still have not grasped how the Father works, or what He expects from us.

Their humility?
If it is in Fathers will to use this person to bring Him glory, the person will be humbled, so that He can see clearly, the way of the Lord.

What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

A singing voice: I minister in song to different congregations in different denominations, singing praise and worship to Our Father. I also record songs and share them. 

Encouragement, Mercy, Hospitality, compassion, given to those who Father draws near.

Visions and dreams.

Healing to those who accept.

All ministered in the precious name of Jesus Christ Our Lord and Saviour. To give Father all the glory and praise that He deserves, as a loving, faithful, magnificent, mighty, awesome, wonderful, Holy, and the list goes on, Creator.

Love and Blessings to you all.. xx

• 6 months later...

Q4.1Peter 4 :10-11

If people are promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them? 

They having pride

God resist the proud 

What it say s about their self worth? 

Only thinking of self firgetting that all good and perfect gifts are coming from the Lord

About their maturity 

The are still immature with things of God

About Humility 

God Himself  raises the humble

What spiritual gifts God has given me

Humility, love, serving

• 2 months later...

What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

I took the test, Pastor Ralph.  

The results are unambiguous. I got zeros in most categories, particularly in the ones that women usually score highest — hospitality, for example; and got four middlin’, ambiguous scores in prophecy, evangelist, faith, and poverty.

The only scores that were suggestive are these:

1) leadership – 14

2) teaching – 13

3) knowledge – 13

4) wisdom – 11

5) administration – 11

I group these five scores into two clusters (leadership/admin) and (teaching/knowledge/wisdom). Here's my problem: I'm not leading or teaching anything but am caring for my dying, blind father and have been for the past three years.  So, if God gave me these gift-clusters, why isn't he giving me a venue in which to use them? I'm being forced to do what I score a ZERO on in this test, in fact -- my weakest traits.

I find it most interesting that Peter doesn't distinguish between natural and spiritual gifts, but Paul does. I wish you elaborated more on this for it's a stumbling block to me. The use of the gift, according  to Peter, sorta sanctifies it or makes it from God.  Thus, the impetus comes  from the person to God -- I choose to use certain gifts and, similarly I choose to submit these gifts to God. This seems backward. Doesn't God have the plan and God gift us according to that plan?