JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Quiet Time

The Holy Spirit connects us to the mind of Christ. He is the link between our Spirits and the mind of Christ.

No i do not until recently. I am very encouraged to have a regular quite time after studying these series. I will spend more time in communion with the Lord, seeking His face, praising and worshiping, praying and reading and meditating on the word.

• 1 month later...

What connects us to the mind of Christ?

The Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Our Heavenly Father.

Do you have a regular Quiet Time?

Yes. I crave to be continuously in His presence.

What could you do to make it more meaningful?

Nothing. It is always meaningfully and Spirit led, so what ever I do in that time, I feel I am meant to be doing it, whether it be paying for people, listening to, and singing praise and worship songs in my car, on my knees at my bed side, or just sitting and talking to Him about the things happening around me.

Love and Blessings to you all.. xx

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have had a very regular, systematic quiet time for several years yet do not feel that connection to God of which you write. During my devotional times, my own mind seems to scream louder than the Holy Spirit’s still small voice: I am haunted by thoughts and by thinking itself. I journal thousands of words daily. To make up for quality, I’ve added quantity – I spend hours, every day, studying, thinking and trying to pray. Yet God still seems far. I don’t know Him viscerally; I do not hear His voice though I feel his promptings, or think I do, and am trying to act on them, not matter how irrational. I believe God will honour my intention, which is to obey what I hope to be hearing from Him.

Oftentimes, I think my mind is a hindrance, not a help. Some people seem able to get past their minds, to enter into a heart-relationship with God, but because He is an abstraction, or an abstract thought, I find it difficult to “love” Him. I so wish I could say, honestly, that I loved God and He loved me, but I don’t “feel” this love, and to claim a love that isn't in my heart is to fool myself.

What does it  mean, anyway, to love God, to have a relationship with the divine?  I can love a man and know what that feels like, but I can’t grok what it is to love Jesus, a man as well as God. To really love Him.

Right now, I am in the little prayer room at my church. In the background, Christian music is playing. It seems so repetitive and saccharine, like a shallow love: “Hold me in your hand, I will praise you…” What does this mean? What are other people feeling I can’t feel? Why do I distrust their emotions, their love for God?  

I sat in the back of the church, yesterday, and watched people lift their hands to Him. I didn't doubt their sincerity, but did wonder what they were thinking and feeling, and whether they were transferring their this-worldly experience of love onto the other-worldly, ever-present God.

To sing, “I love you because you are worthy …” means what? What sort of love is this?

I want a God who is big enough to reach down into my over-active mind and speak loudly and clearly enough to hear. I want a God who is real enough to love, not merely abstractly as I do now, or in that shallow and repetitive manner found in many Christian lyrics, but with a real love. I want a God who understands that when I think of the cross, I see suffering, not love, and when I think of the lives of many people, including my own, I see suffering, not  love.

It should be love that connects us to the mind of Christ; my mind to His mind, mediated by the Holy Spirit, actuated by love.

• 1 year later...

Q2. The Holy Spirit who dwells within all true believers connects us to the mind of Christ. 
Yes I have a quiet time most days. The odd day I miss if I have an early appointment, I have my time with the Lord in the evening, but this time is not so good. I find there are more distractions, I am tired and my mind wanders. I try to be in communication with the Lord throughout the day. I am constantly looking for His help and guidance as well as His protection and peace. When I started getting up early to spend time with God I found it hard but someone told me to think about the situation, you wake up and Jesus and Satan are standing beside your bed. Jesus is inviting you to come spend time with Him, Satan is encouraging you to stay and rest. I found that scenario quickly got me out of bed, now years later, I don’t even think about it. I long to have that little time in the morning in His presence before the madness of the day starts.