JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

3. Why do you think the demon oppressed man interrupted Jesus? The demon who controlled this man was an operative of satan, the Enemy who would use or do anything available to subvert the plan of redemption. I think it may have been an attempt to reveal Jesus as Messiah before the time was right in order to stop the message of spiritual liberty and deliverance that would free God’s people from spiritual oppression. Also, the question “Have you come to destroy us?” reveals recognition of Jesus' authority and an apprehensive expectation of judgment.

4. After you've read Dr. Wilson's essay on "Demonization and Deliverance in Jesus' Ministry" (in Appendix 2), do you think he proves his assertion that demonization describes a range of demon influence, rather than complete possession? Why or why not? I’ve never heard anyone address a clear perspective on this type of question and have wondered about it but never deeply investigated on my own. Thank you, Pastor Ralph, for this thought-provoking view. Yes, I do agree that “demonization describes a range of demon influence, rather than complete possession”.

An unsaved person has absolutely no protection against the deceptive power of evil, so it’s no surprise to think that the Enemy’s influence would be very controlling. The real question for me has always been the question of “demon possession” for Christians, since that is the wording we see in Scripture. We already recognize that when we receive the Holy Spirit, it’s a life-long process of yielding every part of our inner being to His presence and control. So, what about all the parts that haven’t been given over to Him yet? That’s where we are still operating in the flesh and are vulnerable to the Enemy’s influence. When we act on any sinful thought or desire we have, we are giving in to the pull of evil that seeks only to steal, kill, and destroy our faith and walk in the Spirit. That isn’t being possessed by a demon. It’s being influenced by demonic deception and allowing open opportunity for a demonic foothold.  I think all believers struggle with this battle on some level because it begins in the conflict between the spirit and the flesh, which is something we all face.  The degree of influence we allow to go unchecked determines the degree of control it has over our thoughts, words, behavior, and actions.

5. Why isn't recovery from demonic deception always instantaneous? What is the process of deliverance that a person must go through to come to full freedom? When the things we are led by demonic deception to think, speak, and act on are not challenged, they slowly but surely become ingrained and affect what we believe and feel and do. This creates habits and strongholds. Even when this is recognized and dealt with, those habits and strongholds still have to be dealt with. It can take a long time to fully discover what they actually are, face them, and root them out.

I’ve struggled all my life to fully receive the concept of being completely, passionately, and purely loved by our Father, without having to do anything to earn or deserve it. And I’ve had to battle the feeling that I just couldn’t really trust that love. I believe the nagging little voice of such doubt that I would hear in my head originates in the whispers of demonic deception. In a nutshell, the only way to overcome that has been from identifying & owning up to the deception, knowing the Truth, and relying on the Spirit to make that Truth real to me as completely trustworthy.

• 2 months later...
  1. What is the relationship between Jesus' commission in Luke 4:18-19 and his ministry acts in Capernaum? He was sent to set the captives free from their bondage of sin and oppression of demonic authority God also sent Him to forgive HIm people's sins as well
  2. Jesus' words were spoken with conviction and authority, compared to the scribes who often spoke in the synagogue. What was the source of Jesus' conviction and authority? His divinity? Or something else? Should we expect conviction and authority to attend our own teaching? Why or why not? The source of His authority was not His divinity but God's authority and His abililty to be both God and man and to relate people on a personal level
  3. Why do you think the demon oppressed man interrupted Jesus? He is doing the will of the enemy because the enemy didn't want the Lord defeat him at all. 
  4. After you've read Dr. Wilson's essay on "Demonization and Deliverance in Jesus' Ministry" (in Appendix 2, do you think he proves his assertion that demonization describes a range of demon influence, rather than complete possession? Why or why not?  Yes I do believe that there are various manifestations of it I myself work with this sort of thing and have seen it personally as a person in ministry and know from experience that each case is unique and not the same. Conside the case in the Bible of Mary of Magdalene. She had to have demons cast out of her and then she became sane. 
  5. Why isn't recovery from demonic deception always instantaneous? What is the process of deliverance that a person must go through to come to full freedom? I believe it is because the mind is affected and the emotions and psche are a part of this and they need a complete psych eval to see what kind of help they will need in the long term for their recovery.
  6. Give examples from your own life or experience on how deceptive and innocent involvement in sin can appear, and how terrible the consequences. For I am struggling with my health right now all because I let myself give into temptation when it came to boundaries with my compulsive eating and now I can barely move around. My father did the same thing and is no longer here. His brother has done the same thing countless times and has had 4 heart attacks and has 4 stents in his heart. I landed in the hospital due to a gi bleed however but it was my fault. 
  7. What will happen in your life if you toy with or nurture the temptations you have to sin? What happens when sin and Satan get a foothold in your life? I will end up struggling with my health even further or possibly dead. I could possibly backslide.

• 6 months later...

1.    What is the relationship between Jesus' commission in Luke 4:18-19 and his ministry acts in Capernaum?

“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”

The LORD is source of Liberty and Justice.  physical, spiritual and mental.

2.    Jesus' words were spoken with conviction and authority, compared to the scribes who often spoke in the synagogue. What was the source of Jesus' conviction and authority? Jesus IS THE LORD

His divinity? YES

Or something else? NO

Should we expect conviction and authority to attend our own teaching? YES

Why or why not? The Holy Spirit lives in all Disciples.

3.    Why do you think the demon oppressed man interrupted Jesus?

satanic angel /spirit

4.    After you've read Dr. Wilson's essay on "Demonization and Deliverance in Jesus' Ministry" (in Appendix 2, do you think he proves his assertion that demonization describes a range of demon influence, rather than complete possession? Why or why not?

5.    Why isn't recovery from demonic deception always instantaneous? What is the process of deliverance that a person must go through to come to full freedom?

6.    Give examples from your own life or experience on how deceptive and innocent involvement in sin can appear, and how terrible the consequences. struggle with overcoming addictions (physical, mental), ***********, 

7.    What will happen in your life if you toy with or nurture the temptations you have to sin? slavery

What happens when sin and Satan get a foothold in your life? slavery 

• 1 year later...
  1. What is the relationship between Jesus' commission in Luke 4:18-19 and his ministry acts in Capernaum? In Capernaum He cast out demons from people and teaching about the word of God with authority so that even the demons recognized Him. Just as He said He would set the captives free and preach to the poor.

2.Jesus' words were spoken with conviction and authority, compared to the scribes who oft

en spoke in the synagogue. What was the source of Jesus' conviction and authority? His divinity? Or something else? Should we expect conviction and authority to attend our own teaching? Wh

or why not? The source of Jesus' conviction and authority was that He was the Son of God. He spoke with authority because He was one with God the Father and had the same power and omniscience. When He spoke he quoted God the Father and sounded more like a prophet thn a rabbi. Yes we can have the same conviction and authority if we speak the truth from the word of God.

3.Why do you think the demon oppressed man interrupted Jesus? The demon oppressed man interrupted Jesus because the demon inside of Him recognized who Jesus was. The demon knew that he was dealing with another powerful spirit and wanted to stop Him by causing a scene. After you've read Dr. Wilson's essay on "Demonization and Deliverance in Jesus' Ministry" (in Appendix

4.Do you think he proves his assertion that demonization describes a range of demon influence, rather than complete possession? Why or why not? Yes, I believe he does because it starts with temptations and how we deal with them. If we allow sin to take over and not refute it then we are prone to being influenced by demons ourselves. If we do not fill our minds and spirits with Godly things the spirits or demons will come back to us. We cannot let Satan get a foothold through sin in our lives.

5. Why isn't recovery from demonic deception always instantaneous? What is the process of deliverance that a person must go through to come to full freedom? It is not instantaneous. It takes time because the people had to learn different coping mechanisms when they were possessed. And they need counseling from pastors, Christian counselors and others to change. They need to her the truth and repent of their sins in order to be free of them.

6. Give examples from your own life or experience on how deceptive and innocent involvement in sin can appear, and how terrible the consequences. When I was younger, I used to drink and buy alcohol for my underage friends. One time a boy I knew, and his friend took advantage of me when I was drunk. It was only by the grace of God that I was not raped because they were too drunk.

7. What will happen in your life if you toy with or nurture the temptations you have to sin? What happens when sin and Satan get a foothold in your life? Then I will have let Satan get a foothold in my life. When sin and the devil get a foothold then they can influence us. It weakens our ability to say no. Then we are oppressed and find it even harder to stop sinning. We compulsively sin over and over. From there we get obsessed, and it is all we can think about. It becomes an addiction, and we have to have it. There is no clear line anymore between sin and being holy. Lastly when we are possessed, we have no will of our own anymore. We have given ourselves over to our desires or addictions.

• 2.Jesus' words were spoken with conviction and authority, compared to the scribes who often spoke in the synagogue. What was the source of Jesus' conviction and authority? His divinity? Or something else? Should we expect conviction and authority to attend our own teaching? Whor why not? The source of Jesus' conviction and authority was that He was the Son of God. He spoke with authority because He was one with God the Father and had the same power and omniscience. When He spoke, he quoted God the Father and sounded more like a prophet than a rabbi. Yes, we can have the same conviction and authority if we speak the truth from the word of God.

3.Why do you think the demon oppressed man interrupted Jesus? The demon oppressed man interrupted Jesus because the demon inside of Him recognized who Jesus was. The demon knew that he was dealing with another powerful spirit and wanted to stop Him by causing a scene. After you've read Dr. Wilson's essay on "Demonization and Deliverance in Jesus' Ministry" (in Appendix

4.Do you think he proves his assertion that demonization describes a range of demon influence, rather than complete possession? Why or why not? Yes, I believe he does because it starts with temptations and how we deal with them. If we allow sin to take over and not refute it then we are prone to being influenced by demons ourselves. If we do not fill our minds and spirits with Godly things the spirits or demons will come back to us. We cannot let Satan get a foothold through sin in our lives.

5. Why isn't recovery from demonic deception always instantaneous? What is the process of deliverance that a person must go through to come to full freedom? It is not instantaneous. It takes time because the people had to learn different coping mechanisms when they were possessed. And they need counseling from pastors, Christian counselors and others to change. They need to her the truth and repent of their sins in order to be free of them.

6. Give examples from your own life or experience on how deceptive and innocent involvement in sin can appear, and how terrible the consequences. When I was younger I used to drink and buy alcohol for my underage friends. One time a boy I knew, and his friend took advantage of me when I was drunk. It was only by the grace of God that I was not raped because they were too drunk.

7. (Ephesians 2:1-3) What do these verses teach us about humankind's fallen nature? It teaches us that we were dead in our transgressions and sins. That we had committed gross violations against God, and we had missed the mark entirely. That we had no interest in Him and were empty and without purpose. That we followed the prince of this world and went along with whatever the culture dictated. We went craving after every sinful thing we could think of and satisfied our lusts and passions. That because of this we were children of wrath. We were doomed and deserving of judgement and punishment. That we were a sinful and ungrateful people and God had every right to send us to hell. That we chose of our own free will to sin against God and He could have chosen not to save us, but He did.

• 3 months later...

4. After you've read Dr. Wilson's essay on "Demonization and Deliverance in Jesus' Ministry" (in Appendix 2, do you think he proves his assertion that demonization describes a range of demon influence, rather than complete possession? Why or why not? Many of us who returned from war have a great many spirits whick have infiltrated our hearts. When polititions are openly refering to warefare as sending signal to those opposed you undrstand how little value your life has to your nation in fact. A great deal of hatred and unforgiveness enters in. Without deliverence, and your own intention to break free of the spirits which corrupt your behavior, your care, your speach, can not be defeated. Once youbbecome aware you have given reactive control to a spirit ungodly… you have a choice to make and a lifetime of watchfullness to keep the room in your heart cleaned forcthe Lord. James 3  notice if your tongue has unrully spells with certain provocations.

5.Why isn't recovery from demonic deception always instantaneous? What is the process of deliverance that a person must go through to come to full freedom? The primary awareness is to realize the father of lies and his minions will be sending you thoughts, to generate misbehavior so they can accuse you. Believe in the continuing power of the blood and that you may return to calvary any time to see the blood is eternally there for us and not dried up samples in some museum.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the relationship between Jesus' commission in Luke 4:18-19 and his ministry acts in Capernaum?  It appears to be a demonstration of the teaching, proof of the prophecies of christs nature. That the kingdom of heaven are at hand is truly happening.n Luk 4:18  The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruisedLuv 4:19  To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.Luk 4:31  And came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the sabbath days.Luk 4:32  And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power.4:18  The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor;Luk 4:33  And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice,Luk 4:34  Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art; the Holy One of God.Luk 4:35  And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him. And when the devil had thrown him in the midst, he came out of him, and hurt him not.preach deliverance to the captives

Luck 4:36  And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is this! for with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out.

Luk 4:37  And the fame of him went out into every place of the country round about.

Jesus Heals Many

Luk 4:38  And he arose out of the synagogue, and entered into Simon's house. And Simon's wife's mother was taken with a great fever; and they besought him for her.

Luk 4:39  And he stood over her, and rebuked the fever; and it left her: and immediately she arose and ministered unto them.

Luk 4:40  Now when the sun was setting, all they that had any sick with divers diseases brought them unto him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them.

to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Luk 4:41  And devils also came out of many, crying out, and saying, Thou art Christ the Son of God. And he rebuking them suffered them not to speak: for they knew that he was Christ.

2. Jesus' words were spoken with conviction and authority, compared to the scribes who often spoke in….. What was the source of Jesus' conviction and authority? His divinity? Or something else? Should we expect conviction and authority to attend our own teaching? Why or why not?

Jesus knew who he was by his relationship with the holy spirit from it’s decent upon him after John’s baptism. And his deep prayer life seeking the exact direction for what was ahead. I am an advocate of seeking the anointing Jesus had. “I only do what I see my Father doing, .. A.B. Simpson, the self life or the christ life. … pray and praise until you are removed and your spirit can hear clearly. Daily put your ‘self desires’   Upon your cross and come follow me, equals pray until the holy spirit is fully in control of your day. Then walk through your earthly day and expecting to hear and responding to the still small voice of the holy spirit to speak and do as the Father would have us do at each encounter.  My experience on some days i struggle and others it is a sequence of God orchestrated ministry opportunities.  Humbly, simply Jesus was so much better at it than we are. He honors or willingness to follow and act as he guides and not so acting of self. 

Why do you think the demon oppressed man interrupted Jesus?

After you've read Dr. Wilson's essay on "Demonization and Deliverance in Jesus' Ministry" (in Appendix 2, do you think he proves his assertion that demonization describes a range of demon influence, rather than complete possession? Why or why not?  You can normally see the little pig eyes looking at you through the persons eyes if they have serious infestation with a powerful daemon. Familiar spirits, others that effect your behavior and judgement are often family blood line curses. They have effect but not control. Still they generate repetitive patterns of the same bad decision. Do I agree or disagree. Both. The upper boundary is likely crossed into when one takes multiple choices into iniquity. And when approached in love and care to turn from the wickedness begins to blaspheme the holy spirit and more. That cursing is fatally serious. I would say fully possessed in that case rather than effected by.

Luk 12:10  And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.

Why isn't recovery from demonic deception always instantaneous? What is the process of deliverance that a person must go through to come to full freedom?  The habit patterns need to be broken and new established. It takes about 21 repetitions of confront the error, recognize it, avoid it to establish a full break pattern. The enemy will always try again to see if the old snare will catch you unawares.

Give examples from your own life or experience on how deceptive and innocent involvement in sin can appear, and how terrible the consequences.  The pastor had a problem, weakness call it and would misbehave with women behind his closed office door. The church that had been effective and powerful became dwindle to nothing. Property sold to another congregation that prospers mightily where the first failed. In mid stream I found myself asking God how such miraculous healings could happen with the issues present. The Holy Spirit said the need of the person is honored. The success of thevlaying on of hands and prayer is not a co firmation of the ministry, it is only proof of thectruth of my word.

What will happen in your life if you toy with or nurture the temptations you have to sin? What happens when sin and Satan get a foothold in your life?  Destruction begins. Have an anointed brother struggling to get straight from drugs for the third time. He reestablished a relationship that should have remained severed each time. He is on the mend once again. We shall see.