JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

62. Narrow Door

• 10 months later...

1. Does Jesus really answer the question in verse 23, "Are only a few people going to be saved?" If so, what is His answer? 
No, not really. One can assume that the question was asked because up until that time, it had been assumed that all good Jews would be automatically saved. Now they were having doubts. Jesus answers, "Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.” (13:24). I like what Steven Cole wrote: “The man had asked, ‘Will the saved be few?’ Jesus turned it around to ask, ‘Will the saved be you?’” I think that in His reply to the question, He is saying what really matters is that if you seriously want to enter the kingdom, forget the numbers, since you might try and not make it. He was concerned about the person’s soul. Back to (9:23), Jesus said: “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me”. We are to make every effort to enter God’s kingdom. 

2. Why does the "narrowness" of the door have to do with the point Jesus is communicating in this parable?  
By stating that the door is narrow, Jesus implies that to get through it will take some effort and deliberate thought. In other words, this door is narrow and limited, in that we must strive to get through and we must come alone without any baggage. "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it” (Matthew 7:13-14). There are only two roads for us. The narrow gate/door and difficult way that leads to life, and the wide gate/door and broad way that lead to destruction (Prov 16:25). Jesus is both the gate (John 10:9) and the way (John 14:6). If we choose the easy way, we will have plenty of company, as Satan is only too pleased to lead us astray. To follow Jesus requires faith, discipline, and endurance; it is a difficult and disciplined life but the only one worth living. 

3. How does the host getting up and closing the door communicate Jesus' message through this parable? What does that mean? 
Jesus is warning us that now is the time to repent and put our faith in Him. We might never get a better time or even another opportunity. We don’t know what the future holds for us and our decision to accept Jesus’ invitation of salvation must be made before the door is closed/locked. When the door is locked, the time for salvation will have passed, and we will not be able to enter. Besides, it’s not just enough to know about Jesus, we need to strive to be accepted into His kingdom.  We might claim that we have had fellowship with Him, that we have listened to His teaching, that we have turned to Him in faith for salvation. But that we never sincerely/truly felt true sorrow for our sins. That we never actually sincerely/truly repented for our sins. We made no effort to even change our worldly lifestyle, with ourselves as the centre, and make Jesus the centre of our life. When the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, that’s it! We might find ourselves being locked out, unable to enter and we will hear Jesus simply say, “I do not know you.” 

4. Extra Credit. Jesus' command to struggle to enter the narrow door is a very strong one - agōnizomai, "strive, struggle, fight." How do you justify this kind of command with the Bible doctrine of predestination and election? Is it man's effort or God's that is required? (Note: Please be kind to one another as you discuss this. You may disagree on some points and maybe never understand completely. Be loving.) 
God’s kingdom is a place of holiness, and since we are sinners by nature we are not fit to enter. We are full of selfishness, pride, wickedness - things that dominate our lives. Furthermore, on our own there is no ability or desire to understand Biblical truths; this is due to our darkened mind and hardened heart. “The sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so” (Romans 8:7). What we require is a total transformation – turning from darkness to light, moving from the kingdom of Satan to the Kingdom of God. Having been elected before creation we hear the message of the gospel, the Holy Spirit regenerates us, imparting new spiritual life within us. Now we willingly and sincerely repent of our sins putting our trust in Christ for our salvation. We cannot enter the Kingdom of God without the new birth; Jesus tells us: “No-one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit” (John 3:5). Since, the Holy Spirit gives us new life, and we are not the same anymore, we become new creations in Christ (2 Cor 5:17). Salvation itself does not require effort on our part, it is all of grace, enabling grace. But our sinful nature and our evil desires are still there. Our journey of sanctification begins, but our opponents are Satan, sin, self (our old sinful nature) which are still active. With the help of the Holy Spirit, we strive/fight/persevere to become more and more like our Lord Jesus. Jesus said we must strive to enter through the narrow gate. This narrow gate is the new birth - salvation by grace through faith. To strive means we are to exert ourselves fully in our battle with our own will, our own pride, and our own lusts. This will require a constant and sustained effort since this is a battle on three fronts; a combination of the world, the flesh, and Satan. 

5. This passage is very clear that the opportunity for salvation is time-limited. When will it be too late for an individual? For mankind? (Let's resist the temptation to lay out and argue for a detailed end-times chronology here. Thank you.) 
While alive we will have opportunities for salvation, but after death there are no more chances. Unbelievers will face the Great White Throne judgment, while believer’s names are written in the “Lamb’s Book of Life”, and they alone will be allowed to enter the Kingdom of God. “Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life” (Rev 21:27). Mankind’s participation in salvation will be complete with the beginning of the eternal state (1 Cor 15:50-57). Believers spending eternity in the new earth and heaven with our Lord Jesus, while the rest of mankind will be spending eternity suffering the just wrath of God. (John 3:36).  

6. What do you look forward to about this Eschatological Banquet in the Kingdom of God? What do you think it will be like? 
The Banquet is being held in heaven in the presence of our Lord and Saviour! We will be face to face with Jesus, and I will be able to thank Him personally for His great love for me and His death on the cross for my sins. There is the joy of having fellowship with Jesus Christ, and all the believers who ever lived. Imagine hearing their life stories! I cannot imagine being in an environment where there is no evil, no pain, no sorrow, and no death. I also cannot imagine what it will be like: “What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived - the things God has prepared for those who love Him” (1 Cor 2:9), but I’m greatly excited! This will be the start of a wonderful and future that awaits us. 

7. Extra credit: Is the banquet an actual chronological event or a figure of something else? If so, what? 
We read about this wedding feast in Revelation 19:6-8. This is an invitation to dine with the King of kings at the Marriage Supper of the Lamb. It is the wedding feast of the Lamb (Jesus Christ) and His bride (the Church). Some think that this marriage supper takes place in heaven between the rapture and the second coming. Rev 19:8, “Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!". In attendance will be all believers who are in Christ! The wedding feast will probably take place on earth at the beginning of the Millennium. 

8. In verse 30, who are the "last" who become first, and who are the "first" who become last? 
The last who became first refers to the Gentiles who served the Lord out of love, and whom the Jews regarded as least likely to enter the kingdom. The first who become last refers to the Jews who served the Lord out of pride and selfish ambition, and who considered themselves superior to the Gentiles in many ways. Forgetting that Jesus sees the heart of all people, and some who thought they would be first would become last. However, we are all one in Christ Jesus (Gal 3:28), “There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus”. 

1.  Does Jesus really answer the question in verse 23, "Are only a few people going to be saved?" If so, what is his answer?

The question does not get answered directly. Jesus responds by telling a story. 

If I understand the response correctly, we are urged not to look at the next man (not to judge anyone) but to make sure that we as individuals are ready and saved. By this I am not saying that I need to leave them alone and not witness etc sure PRAY but it is up to each individual. You cannot push them through the narrow doorway. You cannot decide for them. You can help where necessarily but it is each one's own decision. 

Also by their actions you cannot say  ...   this one will go to heaven, but not that one. etc. God knows the hearts. 

2.  What does the "narrowness" of the door have to do with the point Jesus is communicating in this parable?

It will take an effort to get into the narrow door. It is an individual entry. Two cannot enter at the same time. It is cramped and not an easy entrance. 

Jesus is telling us to strive to enter don't take things casually. Don't stay on the outside. Leave all encumbrances behind. There is no space to take them along. You will not be able to enter the doorway with them. 

3.  How does the host getting up and closing the door communicate Jesus' message through this parable? What does that mean?

That answer has been summed up pretty well by "Hanks". 

The time is coming when no more can enter. Just as with Noah and the Ark. I'm sure they were invited. But when the final time came to enter, the door was shut and it was FINAL. only those inside were saved. The host closes the door and no more can enter (it is with an urgency that Jesus is saying this). God closed the Ark and no more could enter. 

Entrance requires repentance and change. That is that striving. Not easy to let go a habit. Not easy to acknowledge a secret sin and turn away from it. That is the part we have to do. Repent, change, let go, confess etc eventual entrance and start afresh. 

4. Jesus' command to struggle to enter the narrow door is a very strong one -- agōnizomai, "strive, struggle, fight." How do you justify this kind of command with the Bible doctrine of predestination and election? Is it man's effort or God's that is required?  

It is a choice we need to make to come in by the door. God knows what our choice is. It is not a surprise to Him. We still have to make it though. He does the forgiveness part. We still have to do the repentance or turning away from the sin. So there is a thing "to do" on our side. Without repentance there is no entrance. 

Someone explained it as follows:

You have a fine to pay. Father pays it. But you need to personally collect the paper to show that you are free of the debt. If the paper is not collected it is as good as if the fine has not been paid. 

God has done His part. Now it is for us to do ours. 

6.  What do you look forward to about this Eschatological Banquet in the Kingdom of God? What do you think it will be like?

To be together with my Lord and Saviour. To join again with loved ones who have gone on before, never to be parted again. 

I cannot even begin to imagine what it will be like. Just awesome i guess. 

7. Is the banquet an actual chronological event or a figure of something else? If so, what?

I understand it to be the "Marriage Supper of the Lamb". 

Where we the church as His bride will be presented without spot or wrinckle. Rev 19:7 & 8. 

From here on we will forever be with our LORD. 

Whatever it will be it will be glorious. 

8.  In verse 30, who are the "last" who become first, and who are the "first" who become last?

The Jews as the chosen people would have seen themselves to be first. But they rejected their Messiah. So the Gentiles got the chance and many of the different races have accepted Him. So they now stand first. The time will come and the Jews will turn again and acknowledge Christ as their Messiah. So now we see the roles reversed. The Jews who should have been first are now last and the Gentiles are first. 

• 2 months later...

Does Jesus really answer the question in verse 23, "Are only a few people going to be saved?" If so, what is his answer?

A. His answer was yes, only a few people are going to be saved.

Why does the "narrowness" of the door have to do with the point Jesus is communicating in this parable?

A. The “narrowness” of the door is trying to communicate that you have to be steadfast in trying to get into the Kingdom. It means that only one person at a time will be able to enter.

How does the host getting up and closing the door communicate Jesus' message through this parable? What does that mean?

A. It means that you had better act now because your opportunity is slipping away.

Extra Credit. Jesus' command to struggle to enter the narrow door is a very strong one -- agōnizomai, "strive, struggle, fight." How do you justify this kind of command with the Bible doctrine of predestination and election? Is it man's effort or God's that is required? (Note: Please be kind to one another as you discuss this. You may disagree on some points and maybe never understand completely. Be loving.)

A. I think that the predestination or election has to do with your willingness to accept what Jesus is teaching us. If you accept it, then you are predestined to enter. It is God’s effort at the beginning but if you ignore it you will suffer the consequence.

This passage is very clear that the opportunity for salvation is time-limited. When will it be too late for an individual? For mankind? (Let's resist the temptation to lay out and argue for a detailed end-times chronology here. Thank you.)

A. It will be too late when the individual dies or when Jesus returns.

What do you look forward to about this Eschatological Banquet in the Kingdom of God? What do you think it will be like?

A. I think it will be something that is above my imagination because I have only the things on earth to compare it to.

Extra credit: Is the banquet an actual chronological event or a figure of something else? If so, what?

A. I think that the banquet is an actual chronological event because it is talked about quite a bit in the bible.

In verse 30, who are the "last" who become first, and who are the "first" who become last?

A. I think that those who were servants who were last will become first. I think that the people like the Pharisees will become last.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1.Jesus doesn’t directly answer the question but goes on to tell the people listening what they must do to make sure that they will be among those who are saved.

Q2. The narrowness of the door has to do with the fact that it takes effort to get through the narrow door. So not everyone will get through it.

Q3.The host gets up and closes the door when all is ready for the banquet. It is up to us to be present and ready to partake when the door closes. We have been warned so there is no excuse for us. We must also communicate this to others to help them to be ready and to realise that the time to repent and believe is now. 
Q4.We are to work with God and repent of our sins, work to get to know and love the Lord, this we do by study, and listening to sermons, by using faithfully the privilege of prayer, and by serving others as Jesus did while here on earth. This will help us to get through the narrow door and show our Lord and Saviour that we truly do love Him and desire to spend eternity in His presence. It will also show we do not assume we are automatically going to heaven . 
Q5.If someone hears the gospel and puts off the committing their lives to God , and if they do this a number of times their heart will become hard towards God and eventually they loose all desire for anything to do with God. A person may hear the gospel once reject it and never get another opportunity to hear it again. God may call someone in death before they decide to give their heart to Him. The Lord May return at anytime, it will be without any warning and it will be too late then. 
Q6. It will be a wonderful time that I have waited for over many years. A time when I will be in the presence of my Lord and Saviour and I will worship and adore Him and it will never end. 
Q7.Revelation 19v9 tells us that we are Blessed if we are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb. I think it is the coming together of Christ and His Bride, which is His church , made up of Christians from all ages. Hopefully we will all be part of this gathering.

Q8. The Jews were the ones chosen by God to be His ‘chosen people’ but they did not act as God desired them to act, and so Paul was sent to the gentiles. The Gentiles may be first and not the Jews as they expect unless they repent and do as the Lord desires.

• 7 months later...

Does Jesus really answer the question in verse 23, "Are only a few people going to be saved?" If so, what is his answer?

A. Yes because it is those who choose the narrow door or way that truly enter for many will choose the wide road or door instead.

Why does the "narrowness" of the door have to do with the point Jesus is communicating in this parable?

A. It basically is saying only those who see the door and enter it through Him will get into heaven since it is those who are truly seeking that will find Him.

How does the host getting up and closing the door communicate Jesus' message through this parable? What does that mean?

A. It is about the fact that Christ will not accept people once they reject Him because they have sealed their own fate as well. 

Extra Credit. Jesus' command to struggle to enter the narrow door is a very strong one -- agōnizomai, "strive, struggle, fight." How do you justify this kind of command with the Bible doctrine of predestination and election? Is it man's effort or God's that is required? (Note: Please be kind to one another as you discuss this. You may disagree on some points and maybe never understand completely. Be loving.)

A. I believe it deals with the Holy Spirit actually calling you to Christ Himself through the Word and also a prompting of the Spirit. 

This passage is very clear that the opportunity for salvation is time-limited. When will it be too late for an individual? For mankind? (Let's resist the temptation to lay out and argue for a detailed end-times chronology here. Thank you.

A. It will be too late once they die or the 2nd coming.

What do you look forward to about this Eschatological Banquet in the Kingdom of God? What do you think it will be like?

A. Seeing my Savior face to face. I have no idea at all. 

Extra credit: Is the banquet an actual chronological event or a figure of something else? If so, what?

A. I believe it is an actual event according to what Scripture says. The Marriage of the Church and Christ

In verse 30, who are the "last" who become first, and who are the "first" who become last?

A. I will believe it deals with the one who truly serve will be first. The ones who don't will be last. 

• 9 months later...

I agree with the point "Godswriter" made, the door is narrow because Jesus is the only way.  No other belief or faith will allow one to enter heaven.

Extra Credit. Jesus' command to struggle to enter the narrow door is a very strong one -- agōnizomai, "strive, struggle, fight." How do you justify this kind of command with the Bible doctrine of predestination and election? Is it man's effort or God's that is required? (Note: Please be kind to one another as you discuss this. You may disagree on some points and maybe never understand completely. Be loving.)

Once we decide to follow Christ, Satan will try to knock us off that path.  We have to struggle against our natural, sinful impulses and against his attacks to stay on the road to enter the narrow door.  We are in a spiritual battle.  Jesus completed the work on the cross, but we have to demonstrate our faith in His Work of salvation.  God already knows who will enter, we make the decision ourselves whether or not we will follow. 

I think those who have been blessed on this earth and strove to live comfortable lives rather than pursue God are the first who become last, those who were persecuted or suffered for their faith and did not let any earthly thing deter them are the last who become first.  

• 7 months later...
  1. Does Jesus really answer the question in verse 23, "Are only a few people going to be saved?" If so, what is his answer? Essentially far less than he paid the price for. He took stripes sufficient for the very worst of us. He is that serious about saving as many sheep as possible.
  2. Why does the "narrowness" of the door have to do with the point Jesus is communicating in this parable? The story of the small gate in Jerusalem has been twisted. The facts are a small gate doorway was available at the very end of the day for men to enter. It required a man to bend over and step down to come through. A defenseless posture. It was guarded by the watchmen. The joke is that a camel could never fit. And the pressure on a merchant trader was to never get to the city late in the day. As to save his goods he would have to unload his camel, carry everything through, and leave the camel outside. A never done thing. Possibly impossible to do. Jesus emphasis is absolutely never be late. Also you can not get through that gate with more than yourself. It is a man gate. There is no time for great baggage at the end of the day when that small man door was the last access. 
  3. How does the host getting up and closing the door communicate Jesus' message through this parable? What does that mean? When the man gate, the small narrow gate closed there was no more access to the city that day until morning.
  4. Extra Credit. Jesus' command to struggle to enter the narrow door is a very strong one -- agōnizomai, "strive, struggle, fight." How do you justify this kind of command with the Bible doctrine of predestination and election? God saw to our gifting and abilities when he knew us before we were knit in our mothers womb. That is our predestination Why each of us has things we can to wonderfully well with little thinking or excessive effort. I believe that is a designed fit into God’s plan and schedule for our arrival on earth. .. Our best possible performing believing capability. Our obedience to shed the worldly values, ‘self’, and become the best of his design elects us. Is it man's effort or God's that is required? We must elect to place our self on the tree, and take on the spiritual design God placed within us.  I believe our effort to shed self for His design is the requirement to be recignized and not hear ‘I never knew you’. He knew the true us when he designed us. It is that serious. Without his us, we will be poor performers in the battle for souls. (Note: Please be kind to one another as you discuss this. You may disagree on some points and maybe never understand completely. Be loving.)
  5. This passage is very clear that the opportunity for salvation is time-limited. When will it be too late for an individual? When you have rejected the holy spirits calling you enough times your are so hard hearted the spirit nolonger tries to reach you. For mankind?  Only God knows the day and the hour. The end is promised, the timing is God’s choice. Sofom and Gomorah ran out of time. So to the rest of the planet will have an end. He will not always strive with man. (Let's resist the temptation to lay out and argue for a detailed end-times chronology here. Thank you.)
  6. What do you look forward to about this Eschatological Banquet in the Kingdom of God? I would always rather serve than be served. I find such banquest fetting me uncomfortable. What do you think it will be like? No thoughts or imaginations of it.
  7. Extra credit: Is the banquet an actual chronological event or a figure of something else? If so, what? It is the promised marriage feast with the lamb. I truly love my wife, who is my very best friend. I should very well become delighted in joining with a joyous Jesus. An ‘our dinner’. 
  8. In verse 30, who are the "last" who become first, and who are the "first" who become last? It has been in my heart since early in my salvation that at the very end of the time the narrow door is open there will be a few disciples, apostles, harvesters at work struggling to get the very last few saved that can be reached. Those may have a special place, those last to come in.