JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

106. Darkness, Death

• 1 year later...

1.    What does the darkness at Jesus' crucifixion represent, do you think? (Luke 23:44-45a)....darkness represents a void where The LORD is not present.  The death of Jesus Christ was a time where that void existed

2.    What is the meaning of the curtain of the temple being torn in two? (Luke 23:45b)....the curtain being torn in two represented the end of the Sanctuary on earth.  The Sanctuary was the place where The LORD was present in the temple in Jerusalem.  the tearing of the curtain destroyed this place.

3.    What does Jesus mean when he says, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit"? (Luke 23:46) Why does this saying comfort us so much?....each one of us has the Spirit that is given to us by The LORD. 

4.    What did the centurion see in Jesus' last hours that caused him to declare Jesus innocent, a righteous man? (Luke 23:47)...Jesus Words were expressions of Love instead of anger.  

5.    What would you have felt like had you witnessed Jesus' crucifixion -- if you didn't know the next chapter in the story? deep disapointment, like all the Disciples and Apostles felt.

6.    Why is faith so important during the dark chapters of our lives? Faith sustains Hope.

What does it take to shake off the numbness and depression and take hold of that faith once more? Pray, Study, Praise, Meditate on The Word.

7.    What does Jesus intend for us disciples to learn from this passage, do you think?...many lessons but the primary Lesson is That Jesus IS LORD.

1. What does the darkness at Jesus' crucifixion represent, do you think? (Luke 23:44-45a) 
It was during these three hours of darkness that Jesus bore the penalty of our sins in His body on the cross. Being infinite, He was able to absorb in these three hours, all the punishment of eternal hell for all who will ever believe. On the cross the sins of the world were poured out on the sinless, perfect Son of God. By His death, Jesus has set us free from the bondage of sin, so that we are dead to sin and alive to God in Christ (1 Pet 2:24). Although He never sinned, God treated Him as a sinner (2 Cor 5:21) so that Christ could make us acceptable to God. He was wounded for our transgressions and crushed for our iniquities (Isa 53:5). I think that to mark this act of immense divine judgment God brought upon the nation/earth supernatural darkness that lasted for 3 hours. This darkness was a symbolic display of the heinousness of the crime committed – there was no excuse for their sin in crucifying Him, even when these wicked men acted in accordance with the pre-planned will of God; of the blackness, darkness, and blindness of men’s hearts; of the emptiness and darkness of Judaism – without Christ, without faith, and without life; of the darkness that engulfed our Lord and Saviour as He was made sin for us. 

2. What is the meaning of the curtain of the temple being torn in two? (Luke 23:45b) 
I think the meaning is that through the death of our Lord Jesus Christ, a way has been opened for us to come directly to God in faith. There is no more need to come to God through priests, sacrifices or ceremonies, since we have Jesus who acts as our mediator (1 Tim 2:5). And this reminds me of the wonderful verse Hebrews 4:16 which tells us we can now approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Direct access: Jesus, our great high priest, has gone through the heavens before us, opening the door into the throne room of the universe. A throne of grace, not of judgment or condemnation. Mercy is God’s attitude of forgiveness in not giving us what we do deserve. Grace is His attitude of blessing and benevolence in giving us what we do not deserve. 

3. What does Jesus mean when He says, "Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit"? (Luke 23:46) Why does this saying comfort us so much? 
Jesus making use of the words found in Psalm 31:5 entrusts His soul to the care of His Father. “Into Your hands I commit My spirit”, Jesus spoke these words in a loud voice indicating that He willingly, voluntarily laid down His life. This was the only kind of death that was able to satisfy the justice of God and to save mankind. Jesus had said in John 10:11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep”; Jesus dies for those who had been given to Him by the Father, for the children of God, for true believers. Again, in John 10:15 Jesus repeats “Just as the Father knows Me and I know the Father - and I lay down My life for the sheep”. He is strong. He is triumphant. He said no one takes My life from Me. I lay it down on My own initiative. Jesus acknowledges His own, His true disciples, and they acknowledge Him, as their Lord. We can draw comfort from this knowing that just like Jesus who put His trust in His Father, was taken home. We, too, if we belong to Him through faith in His name, can be assured that after we have died we shall wake up in the arms of our loving heavenly Father. We are safe for all eternity in both Jesus’ hands and our Heavenly Father’s hands (John 10:28-29). 

4. What did the centurion see in Jesus' last hours that caused him to declare Jesus innocent, a righteous man? (Luke 23:47) 
The centurion must have noticed the way Jesus had been conducting Himself during the pain He was suffering and all the wicked taunts and mockeries He suffered. He must have heard the way Jesus with infinite love and mercy had asked His Father to forgive them, and he must also have noticed that in Jesus there was no resentment, no anger, and no desire for punishment upon all those that were blaspheming and mistreating Him. I can imagine that he was in all likelihood not a Jew and that he had not been brain-washed by all the Jewish leaders in rejecting the Messiah. He must have seen the sign above Jesus which read: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS, and been through the three hours of darkness. Both of which must have given him much food for thought. So, he began to praise God, saying, “Surely, this was a righteous man”; probably meaning that he glorified God by acknowledging the righteousness of Jesus. In Matt 27:54 he says "Surely he was the Son of God!" In Mark 15:39 he says "Surely this man was the Son of God!" All proclaiming Jesus to be both God's Son and a righteous man. 

5. What would you have felt like had you witnessed Jesus' crucifixion - if you didn't know the next chapter in the story? 
I would probably have seen everything the centurion had, and I could easily have come to the same decision/conclusion as he did, declaring Jesus innocent and a righteous man. Added to this would be feelings of disgust, shock, distress, and sorrow, especially remembering I’m a softy and not a soldier. The behaviour of Jesus, including His words of trust in the heavenly Father and His forgiveness toward men, would have had a great impact on me. Add to Jesus’ crucifixion all the other occurrences, the three hours of darkness, the torn curtain in the temple, and then those recorded in Matthew: the earthquake, the splitting of the rocks, the opening of graves. Great sadness, fear, total confusion, and uncertainty about the future. 

6. Why is faith so important during the dark chapters of our lives? What does it take to shake off the numbness and depression and take hold of that faith once more? 
It is during the dark chapters of our lives that we need more and more faith to depend and function on His promises. During these times of hardship, we have to trust God’s purposes, even when we have no idea what these purposes are. It is only by trusting Him fully that we can shake off the numbness and depression that might take hold of us. We are to trust Him not only for our salvation but also for direction in our lives. “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding” (Prov 3:5). It must be a full commitment of ourselves - spirit, soul, and body - to the LORD. Next, we must acknowledge that we do not always know what is best for us. We must be aware of God’s superior knowledge, and think things through in submission to His will. “In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight” (Prov 3:6). We are to think about Him in all our ways, and He will guide us on the right paths. If we can manage to turn every area of our lives over to His control, we will find that God will direct our paths. This may be done through His Word, through the advice of godly Christians, through the interconnection of circumstances, through the inward peace of the Spirit, or through a combination of these. Then of course there is always a back-up verse: “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose” (Rom 8:28). There are two parts to this verse. The first part tells us what God will do in working all things for our good. The last part gives us our responsibility - to love Him and be true to His purposes in our lives. I like what R.J. Morgan writes: “It’s God’s darkroom in which negatives become positive. It’s His situation-reversal machine in which heartaches are changed into hallelujahs. It is the foundation of hope and a fountainhead of confidence. Even our failures can become enriching, and our sins can be redeemed. Even death itself becomes a blessing for the child of God”. 

7. What does Jesus intend for us disciples to learn from this passage, do you think? 
I think Jesus’ death on the cross proves that God loves us, and this is what Jesus wants us to learn. His death reminds me of Romans 5:6-8: “… when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, … But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us”. When we were God’s enemies, when we were ungodly, when we were undeserving, when we were under condemnation, Christ died for us. Jesus’ work was done at the perfect time in God’s plan: when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son (Gal 4:4). We were without strength, unable to save ourselves, powerless and lost; in this condition at the appointed time, Christ died for us. This is really divine sovereign love! This is the supreme sacrifice, and a demonstration of love that is without parallel. 

1.  What does the darkness at Jesus' crucifixion represent, do you think? (Luke 23:44-45a)

The time when God could not look on Jesus as He took on Himself the sin (of all time) of the world. 

God is light. When He turned away, there was no light. Even the created light bringer (sun) stopped giving out light. (Or sharing its light). 

3.  What does Jesus mean when he says, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit"? (Luke 23:46) Why does this saying comfort us so much?

His saying comforts us in that we too know, that when our time comes to exchange "time" for eternity, we can commit our spirits into the Father's hands. 

It's not into nothingness or oblivion, there is something forward awaiting us. If we have accepted Him by faith we are assured of being "safe". 

4. What did the centurion see in Jesus' last hours that caused him to declare Jesus innocent, a righteous man? (Luke 23:47)

The centurion was a hardened man. He had supervised and witnessed many crucifixions, but never before something  like this. 

He only saw Jesus for a few hours and in that time he detected something different. He declared Jesus to be righteous and innocent. 

Jesus never ranted and raved about the next ones guilt. Even while there on the cross He helped the one convicted criminal to gain peace and enabled him to enter eternity as a saved man. He did not think of His own discomfort. He 'handed' His Mother over to John to comfort and look after.  Caring to the last. 

The centurion saw all this. It was very different to the usual. All this action was part of what the ceturion saw and enabled him to reach his conclusion. %

5.  What would you have felt like had you witnessed Jesus' crucifixion -- if you didn't know the next chapter in the story?

Very downcast that someone so amazing was killed in this way. Shaken my head at the ones with authority for having performed such a heinous crime. 

6.  Why is faith so important during the dark chapters of our lives? What does it take to shake off the numbness and depression and take hold of that faith once more? 

It is very important to see beyond the gloom and darkness. It is like going through a tunnel. At first all is darkness then as you go on maybe round a corner a glimmer of light appears. 

A step in the positive direction usually topples the gloomy darkness. 

• 8 months later...

Q1. The darkness may have been because of God the Fathers anger at the way His Precious Son was being treated by the creatures that He had created. Maybe it was brought about by the sin that was being borne by Jesus, who was sinless and yet He was hanging on a cross for the sin of the whole world. It was perhaps pathetic fallacy when something in nature reflects the events happening around it. The light of the world was being crucified for the sin of the world no wonder there was darkness.

Q2.The tearing of the curtain from top to bottom was symbolic of the way being open for us ordinary people to approach God. This was made possible by Jesus dying on the cross for our sins. We do not need a go between anymore , Jesus is our mediator between God and man. 1Timothy 2v 5. For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus. Who gave Himself as a random for all men.

Q3.Jesus is coming to the end of His suffering including His Father turning away from Him because of the sin of the world being on His shoulders, and now He commits His spirit into His father’s hands because He knows His Father is ready now to receive Him back into heaven to Glorify Him and to have Him sit at His right hand. It brings us comfort because we know if we are following Jesus wholeheartedly we will be welcomed and received into heaven by Jesus.

Q4. The centurion was not a Jew but a gentile. He was used to seeing men being crucified, but he must have noticed that Jesus was different ! His gentle, acceptance of all that was happening to Him, made Him noticeable and the centurion probably watched Him even closer. During the course of the day it became clear to him that Jesus was very different and was not guilty of these charges that had been brought against Him. He would have also seen that Jesus cared for others, instead of complaining about His wounds and suffering Jesus spoke tenderly to His mother and to John ensuring that Mary was going to be looked after. The centurion would also have heard Jesus calling to His Father and committing His spirit into His hands. By God’s grace the centurion knew that Jesus was a righteous man. 
Q5.I think I would be devastated and bewildered. It would seem like the end of everything. To be with Jesus for three years and to be immersed in His presence and teaching and suddenly for Him to be taken and put to death. I wouldn’t want to carry on living without Him. I would also be frightened because if they put Jesus to death, they would probably start looking for those who were with Him and maybe treat them the same way, to get rid of all traces of Jesus and His “ movement”.

Q6. Our relationship with Jesus is the most important one in our lives, it is the one which will sustain us and get us through good times but also the dark and difficult times. If we neglect to have a strong and daily relationship with Jesus we will not be able to weather the storms of life. If we have allowed our relationship with Jesus to be neglected and we enter a dark period, we must deliberately spend time concentrating on God and starting again to build it up, and get to know and love Jesus all over again.

Q7.In this passage we see the fulfilment of the great mission that Jesus came to earth to fulfil. To dedicate thirty three years to us to enable us to have the opportunity to spend eternity in God’s presence despite our sinfulness. We can only do this because Jesus came down onto this earth to pay our debt for us. Jesus was the only one good enough to be able to pay our debt. So we can learn from this passage of God’s great love for us. Amazing, incredible love for us sinners.

• 1 month later...

1.    What does the darkness at Jesus' crucifixion represent, do you think? (Luke 23:44-45a)

The darkness probably represents the wickedness of humans in the treatment meted on the righteous son of God.

2.    What is the meaning of the curtain of the temple being torn in two? (Luke 23:45b)

It represented the destruction of the bpingarrier that separated us from direct access to the Lord God. We now have direct access.

3.    What does Jesus mean when he says, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit"? (Luke 23:46) Why does this saying comfort us so much?

Everything thing about Jesus from the beginning to the end of his earthly ministry was initiated, planned, and operated along with the involvement of his father. Thus Jesus now knowing that the assignment has been completed ‘handed over’ his spirit to his Father for safe keeping.