JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q9. Begotten

Pastor Ralph

• 3 months later...

I think the reason that Jesus provoke such negative reactions from some people is because they don’t want any authority over them. They think that they can do it on their own and they want to do it on their own. The thing that I do when I detect resistance in my heart is pray because the spirit in me knows what I am going through and will pray for me. The meaning for me to “kiss the Son” is to love him.

Negative reactions to Jesus may stem from: One's desire to be the master of their own destiny; they may have had a bad experience with someone who claimed to be a Christ follower; believing that Jesus is not the only way to God. 

Our sin nature fights against submission and expressions of humility to someone else.

When we detect resistance to our Lord  we need to confess our sin & pride and ask God to move in our hearts to humble us.

To kiss the Son is to embrace King Jesus in the completeness of all He is as God's Annointed One, as Lord of our lives and Savior of our souls, and as Coming King who will bring the world into submission to Himself forever.

I think it’s not just that we don’t want authority over us, but also that we don’t want to admit to ourselves that we are sinners.  Our culture seems to deny the fact of sin as an absolute.  

if I detect resistance, I will turn to the Lord and ask for help.

To kiss the son is to give myself wholeheartedly to Jesus and do my best to follow him.

Why does Jesus provoke such negative reactions from some people? Why do people tend to resist any kind of authority? What should we do when we detect resistance in our own hearts? What does it mean to “kiss the Son” (Psalm 2:12)?

As someone surrounded by secular people, I see something deep and angry in their faces when church, God or faith is a topic of conversation. It's almost a visceral response, one they seem unable to control. Yesterday, for example, my elderly father said to me that he was proud to "turn off his ears" the few times he had to go to church. Proud!

Although I don't understand how this comes to play, it seems that humans stand buffeted between God and Satan, as if warm breezes came from one side, a cold gale from the other.  I'm facing the warm breezes as a Christian. Those breezes are from which I breathe. My father, and so many others, are facing the gale, breathing in and out it's essential coldness. It takes a miracle to "warm" them internally, the indwelling Holy Spirit.  Increasingly I'm convinced that some are simply pulled out of the cold to salvation and others, for reasons I don't understand, shiver, and die.

It's human nature to defy authority. Some of us are more defiant than others -- I'm incredibly defiant, by nature, a constant battle. This has both secular and Christian manifestations. As a Christian, I'm to defer and submit my desires and will to God, the dying of self of which we so often speak. It's painful and makes me vulnerable. Strangely, the same anti-authoritarian defiance that's so damaging as a Christian is beneficial to secularists. They are protected from herd-thinking by an independent attitude.

The second psalm is about the rage of nonbelievers against Christ as well as the rage of particular historical figures against, presumably, David. The "kiss" to the Son occurs at the end of the psalm, followed by a warning about what will happen if we do NOT kiss Him and then this  instructive encomium:  "Blessed are all who take refuge in Him."  That must be the meaning, to take refuge in Him.

Q9. (Psalm 2:1-12) Why does Jesus provoke such negative reactions from some people? Why do people tend to resist any kind of authority? What should we do when we detect resistance in our own hearts? What does it mean to "kiss the Son" (Psalm 2:12)? 
The world hates Jesus because He exposes their sinful evil deeds. Jesus’ own perfect life shows up how imperfect everyone else’s life is. They resent the fact that their sinfulness is there for all to see; there is nowhere to hide. Instead of repenting and crying to Jesus for mercy and grace, their depraved nature has them living lives in hatred and opposition to our Lord Jesus Christ. We have inflated opinions of ourselves and therefore resist any kind of authority. I think because of our sinful natures we want to be in control and will not bow down to any authority, even God. This rebellion in our hearts is the root of all sin (Rom 3:23), and continues to be our downfall. We forget we are the created creatures; God owns us and we are to serve Him, not the other way round. If we detect resistance in our own hearts we should repent and ask Jesus for forgiveness; we should do this immediately we discover our sin. “Kiss the Son” is an expression of submission and allegiance. Meaning we should recognise the Son, Jesus Christ, as the authorised King of kings, submit to His reign, and embrace Him as our Saviour! 

Q1. Jesus provokes negative reactions in some people because they don’t want anything to do with the things of God. Many feel God has no relevance today. They are too intelligent, too advanced, too educated to believe in such things.
Q2.They are in charge and don’t want to be told by anyone else what they can and cannot do. They are usually suspicious of authorities motivation for asking us to do something. 
Q3.If I detected rebellion in my heart I discipline myself to do whatever it is I am rebelling against. I ask the Lords forgiveness and ask for His strength to keep going. Sometimes I have to put discipline before motivation if I find motivation in short supply. But I know this is displeasing to the Lord, when I need discipline rather than motivation!

Q4.To kiss the Son, or kiss His feet means to humble ourselves before Him and to love and adore Him. 

On 8/29/2021 at 2:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q9. (Psalm 2) Why does Jesus provoke such negative reactions from some people? Why do people tend to resist any kind of authority? What should we do when we detect resistance in our own hearts? What does it mean to “kiss the Son” (Psalm 2:12)?

I think deep down they know Jesus exist, but are afraid, they know the life they live and are mad because they want to do what the want to do and not answer to anyone.

They want to live in sin, they do not want anyone telling them what to do.

Run to the the Bible, GET IN THE WORD.

To surrender all to him, to love him with all your heart all your mind and all your soul.

Why does Jesus provoke negative reactions from some people?  I think they want to live independent from God and not be under Obligation to Him.  I also think their reactions come from disbelief and understanding of who he is and the reason he came. They are blind!

I think people resist authority out of disrespect and selfishness.  It’s all about them and what they think their agenda should be. 

If I detect resistance in my own heart, I should confess and pray that the Lord will help me to repent. 
To me Kissing the Son means, to humbly renounce my rebelliousness, to make peace with him, pay homage on vended knee in prayer.

Q9. (Psalm 2) Why does Jesus provoke such negative reactions from some people? Why do people tend to resist any kind of authority? What should we do when we detect resistance in our own hearts? What does it mean to “kiss the Son” (Psalm 2:12)?

1. a. They don't really know who He is.  The Son of God, equal with God, their Redeemer, the one who can set them free and deliver them.

b.  They resist authority because they want to rule themselves and do what they want to do.  They are ruled by self-will, not God's will.

c.  When I detect resistance in my heart, I cry out to God and ask Him to change me that I would be more sensitive to His voice and submit to Him, nor my will, but thy will be done.

d.  Kiss the Son means to me, submit to Him and obey Him, only that brings blessings.

Q9. (Psalm 2:1-12) Why does Jesus provoke such negative reactions from some people?

They don't know Him and are afraid to give over the reigns of self control and rebellion. 

Why do people tend to resist any kind of authority? 

People tend to be rebellious and proud and prefer being in control and taking charge themselves. 

What should we do when we detect resistance in our own hearts?

Cry to God to help us overcome stubbornness, rebellion and anything else stopping us from full surrender which is causing the resistance. 

What does it mean to "kiss the Son" (Psalm 2:12)? 

It means to show respect and honor to Him. To acknowledge His authority in your life. To show full submission to Him. 

Q9 Why did Jesus provoke such negetive reactions from some people?

Because  some of them want to do as they wish without counsel of God

Why do people resistany kind of authority?

They don't  want anyone to tell them what to do , and want to do their own way

What should we do when we detect rebellion in our own heart

We need to repent and seek forgiveness  from God

What does it mean to kiss the son 

To give reference to the son or pay respect

Q9. (Psalm 2:1-12) Why does Jesus provoke such negative reactions from some people? Why do people tend to resist any kind of authority? What should we do when we detect resistance in our own hearts? What does it mean to "kiss the Son" (Psalm 2:12)?

As regards the Jewish leaders in their day, it was jealousy and fear of loosing authority to him that led them to hate and confronted him and even crucify him.

We also find that the human attitude is self- independence and desire to be free that make people to resist authority.

As believers in Christ we should be submissive to constituted authority. We should pray for God to help us submit to authority especially when we detect resistance in our hearts to submit.

To kiss the son means to show our submission by bowing to him as demonstrated by total obedience to the Son.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does Jesus provoke such negative reactions from some people? Why do people tend to resist any kind of authority?

Jesus appears to be a threat to anyone that has authority or wants authority.  We want to be independent of God and not be under any obligation to him.

Constant prayer will help resistance in our own hearts.x  Prayer changes things.

What does it mean to “kiss the Son” (Psalm 2:12)?

To kiss the Son means an act of submission.

• 11 months later...

Some people want to please the flesh. Obeying God is a burden and possibly being a shame if they were to obey God.

Having a mind that tells them they are right and not wanting to obey anyone. Pride is something that makes one believe they have it made and are right within themselves.

We should remember that God will be there for us and he is our help. He will never leave us or lead us in the wrong direction. Pray!!

I believe it means to have a relationship with him that is pure and obey as best as possible. Be close to him and let him know that you love him. He wants us to trust him above anyone else.

The human mind is generally more inclined to freedom and thus with a rebellious attitude and failure to submission to other authority including that of King Jesus.

As born again children of the Lord God, we should be fully submitted to the Lord’s authority. We thus should repent whenever we find that we are resisting his authority.

To kiss the son is to submit to his lordship and authority demonstrated in our obedience to him.  

• 2 weeks later...

Q9. (Psalm 2:1-12) Why does Jesus provoke such negative reactions from some people?

Since negative people are unaware of the negativity they bring to the situation people will withdraw from them.  Groups of people were negative about Jesus because they didn't agree with his methods.

Why do people tend to resist any kind of authority?

Basically, because of distrust and lack of understanding of the person exercising discretion.  Wisdom is pure and seeks to make the person well/whole.

We could listen to it or maybe not listen to it.  The issues may be below the surface making noises.  We should let go of the resistance to avoid/ignore it.  Since the issue is making enough noise to make us aware that something is happening.  It makes us aware of who we are.

What does it mean to "kiss the Son" (Psalm 2:12)?

It means to show reverence to the Son.

• 11 months later...
  • Why does Jesus provoke such negative reactions from some people?
    • This is because those who will not follow him feel threatened by his power
  • Why do people tend to resist any kind of authority?
    • People resist authority because it prevents them from doing what they want to do that is not right. Usually when you are in the right path you don't resent authority
  • What should we do when we detect resistance in our own hearts?
    • I think one should pray for the strength to fight the resistance and ask Jesus to help us renounce our rebelliousness
  • What does it mean to "kiss the Son" (Psalm 2:12)?
    • Pay homage to the Son and acknowledge Him as the King of Kings, the one above all other earthly kings

Because they don't really understand who He is and what He has done for them.  They are used to running their own life and want no interference, not knowing that He could give them a life of peace and contentment, forgiving all their sins.

People resist any kind of authority because they do what they want to do and they don't want anyone running their lives.

When we detect resistance in our own hearts, we need to repent and press into God, His Word and fellowship with Him, asking Him to change us.

We are to serve the Lord with fear, respecting, obeying and worshipping Him. Putting Him first in our lives and spending time with Him and His Word.