JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Grace (charis)

Pastor Ralph

Q1. (1 Peter 5:10) How does grace (Greek charis) differ from earning wages? From earning favor by being good? What is a helpful working definition of Biblical grace? In what way does grace characterize “the God of all grace”?

Grace is resting in God's Arms as a small child, accepting His free gift of salvation and adoption. It's finally realising that in God is our safe place where we find full acceptance of who we are warts and all.

There is no pretence, no earning love, no not being good enough.

It is complete freedom from legalism and trying to earn God's favour and grace by being good enough, attending enough Bible studies and Sundays and all the rules Christians lay on each other.

Ps 131 has the perfect definition - Like a weaned child, I will rest in You

Psalm 131

Jubilee Bible 2000
A Song of degrees of David.

¶ LORD, my heart has not become haughty, nor mine eyes lofty; neither have I walked in grandeur, nor in wonderful things above and beyond that which pertains to me.

Rather I have quieted myself and caused my soul to become silent, that I might be as a child that is weaned of his mother, as one who is weaned from my own life.

Let Israel wait for the LORD from now on and for ever.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It seems incredible, but in all my years of religious schooling, I never heard anything like this concept of favor toward the undeserving. I was taught the transactional idea: be good and you'll reap God's favor. I still suffer from the deeply held belief that I can never measure up.

Wages are reward for what you have done while Grace is what come to you without your contributions whatsoever.

A working definition of Biblical Grace is Grace is favor that is neither deserved of earned.

The way that grace characterize "the God of all grace is in John 3: 16 where God expressed Grace in love by given His one and only begotten son Jesus to die for man who was an undeserving sinner.

• 1 month later...

Grace is something that is given to you and you may not have deserved it where wages is something that you have earned. A helpful working definition is “Grace is favor that is neither earned nor deserved.” God is always giving us things that we don’t deserve.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (1 Peter 5:10) How does grace (Greek charis) differ from earning wages? From earning favor by being good? What is a helpful working definition of Biblical grace? In what way does grace characterize “the God of all grace”?

When we earn wages, we provided a service or skill and the wage is due us...grace is unearned; grace is given, bestowed, gifted to an individual for no service rendered. Grace characterizes "the God of all grace," because He gives constantly--undeserved gift bestowed on us.

• 2 months later...