JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Unmerciful Servant

1Where do you see justice?And his Lord was worth,and delivered him to the tormentors till he should pay all that was due unto him.2 Where do you see grace? Then the lord of the servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.3 Where do you see unforgiveness? And he would not:but went and cast him into prison,till he should pay the debt. What lessons from this parable are discipline to incorporate into their lives. To forgive others so our heavenly father will forgive us for our debts

Justice: Justice is seen in the initial debt owed by the first servant to the king. The king demands payment for the debt, which represents a form of justice.
Justice is also seen when the unforgiving servant faces just consequences.

Grace: Grace is evident when the king forgives the first servant's enormous debt. 

Greed: Greed is depicted in the behavior of the first servant who, after being forgiven a massive debt, shows greed by demanding repayment from a fellow servant who owes him a much smaller amount.

Unforgiveness: Unforgiveness is displayed by the first servant's refusal to forgive the debt of his fellow servant, even though he himself had been forgiven so much.

As believers we are the ones whose unfathomable sin debt has been pardoned , yet we hold onto bitterness when fellow man hurt or dissapoint us.

it is easy to sit on our couches and judge the unmerciful servant , the truth is we are him....holding onto comparitively trivial debts. When we have been forgiven everything on our tab.

And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
Ephesians 4:32 NKJV
Help us Lord 🙏 

Q4. (Matthew 18:23-35)

In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, where do you see justice?

Where do you see grace?

Where do you see greed?

Where do you see unforgiveness?

What lessons from this parable are disciples to incorporate into their lives?

When accounts are sought to be settled, it is noted that the one man owed ten 1000 talents and  the king ordered that he and his family and all his possessions be sold, so that payment  could be made.  That was justice. 

When the slave (who owed the ten 1000 talents) was released after judgement had been forecast, viz., that he and his family and all his possessions be sold, for some kind of payment to be made, and forgiven the debt,  that was grace.

When that same slave , who was forgiven so much, demanded payment from a fellow-slave, who owed him 100 denarii, (,1% of what he originally owed the king), and even tried to strangle or choke him, for owing him that amount, demanding it there and then.  There we see greed.

After that scenario, where the one who was forgiven much, tried to get the debt dissolved from his fellow-slave, he went so far as to throw him into prison, even when he begged for time and promised to pay it all back, that was unforgiveness.

The lessons I see are:

• Be careful to accumulate debt.
  • Do not borrow or loan money.  Both can have disastrous results.  
  • Forgive as Christ forgives.
  • There are consequences when not forgiving others.  

Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.

The unmerciful servant didn’t show justice. He was forgiven so much but he couldn’t forgive just a little.

I see grace in the part of the king who forgave so much and it is a lesson to me, to learn to forgive others too. So help me Lord God.

Q4. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, where do you see justice? Where do you see grace? Where do you see greed? Where do you see unforgiveness? What lessons from this parable are disciples to incorporate into their lives?

Justice is done when the unmerciful servant receives an unmerciful sentence.  Grace is obvious when the King forgives the ENORMOUS debt. We see greed and unforgiveness with the actions of the unmerciful servant. This Parable shows us disciples the many facets of Forgiveness.  We see forgiveness from so many angles: God forgiving us an enormous debt through Jesus, and in turn, showing us how to become His sons through extending grace, mercy, and forgiveness to all while leaving the Justice to Him who is Almighty and All-knowing.

Q4. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, where do you see justice? Where do you see grace? Where do you see greed? Where do you see unforgiveness? What lessons from this parable are disciples to incorporate into their lives?

I saw justice when the king that originally forgave the unmerciful servant debt being put in jail for not forgiving the servant that owe him a debt.  Grace was when the king forgave the unmerciful servant debt.  Greed is when the unmerciful servant would not forgive the debt owe to him. Unforgiveness is when the unmerciful servant would not forgive the servant that owe him. Lessons learned from the parable is that we must be willing to forgive one another just as Christ forgives us.

Who is the unforgiving servant?  We need to incorporate this lesson into our own lives/mind/practice.  If we don't extend it we won't receive it.  Justice and forgiveness have a dependent relationship.  Forgiveness should occur whether or not we receive justice. 

Forgiveness is not about changing the other person, their actions, or their behavior.    We become removed from their influence.  Forgiveness is important because if we don't forgive it  creates tension, anger, and destructive rather than positive thoughts.  If we get rid of these feelings, understand why we have these feelings, rebuild our world and let go we can move forward.  Promise God, our family, friends that we will stop dwelling on this we can stop searching for reasons for behavior until we are satisfied  

It is about how I feel.

It is about how I understand what happened.

It is about how I know i won;t happened again.

On 4/21/2023 at 8:59 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I see Justice when the King revoked his kindness to the servant  and through him into jail for doing the same thing he beg the King not to do.

I see Grace when the King forgave the servant from all his debt.

I see Greed and Unforgiveness when the servant attacked his debtors for the money they owed when he himself was forgiven. 

To forgive those like God has forgiven you.

Q4. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, where do you see justice?

Answer: Jesus taught that God is willing to let us off a debt we cannot repay, so we should be ready to forgive others. If we can't extend a fraction of the mercy that we've been freely given, then we too will suffer the fate of the unforgiving servant. The servant chose justice over mercy and his refusal to forgive landed him in prison, because he failed to understand forgiveness and receive it.

Where do you see grace?

Answer: The servant is unable to repay, and we hear the punishment that could occur. But because the servant asks for mercy, he is set free. Free of having to repay what he cannot. Totally forgiven. No fighting, no negotiating. Just immediate mercy from the heart of a king moved by the servant’s surrendered heart. The master in the story is like God. If a person is genuinely sorry for wrong doing and asks for God’s forgiveness, it is freely given. (The master's wonderful clemency). The significant part and moral of the story is to treat other’s the way you want to be treated.

Where do you see greed?

Answer: The servant who was spared should be understanding and empathetic towards the other servant but instead refuses to forgive his debt. This is a major problem and is still a major problem in society today. We should always forgive, even if the debt is huge. Grace is free.  Equally true is the fact that no one owes us anything.  Grace is free for others, as well.

Answer: The servant who did not forgive was tortured. The unmerciful man was still operating as though life were a matter of collecting debts. The servant's unreasonable severity toward his fellow-servant, notwithstanding his Lord's clemency toward him. The principle of forgiveness is that grace or forgiveness to another is without limit. Forgive your brother or sister from your heart. Forgiveness lies at the heart of our faith in God and our love of one another.

Answer: We get rewarded for the good things we do and punished for every bad action. it is a privilege to be entrusted with talents, resources, and opportunities to work toward God's purposes in the world. We are to focus on how we offer mercy to one another. We want to impart to others the importance of forgiveness, and how it breaks the chains of discontent and wipes our slates clean.

The unmerciful servant didn’t show mercy and justice. He was forgiven so much but he couldn’t forgive just a little.

I see grace in the part of the king who forgave so much and it is a lesson for me to learn to forgive others too. So help me Lord God.

• 3 weeks later...

i see justice where the Master made an evil servant to pay his debts also, for the Word of God says do unto people what will want to be done to you, i see grace where the Master forgives the huge debt, i see greed where an evil servant want to collect his credit after he had been forgiven of his, i see unforgiveness where the debtor pleads for mercy and an evil servant doesnt want to forgive i also see it in the Master, he didnt truly forgive the servant because when he learnt what he did, he resurrected the matter, lessons i learn from this parable is that love is gentle, and we should love others as we love ourselves, forgive those who have wronged us, have pity for others, just as God had pitied us, when we were deep in our sins and we couldnt do anything for ourselves, i also learn that we should carry others burden, the Master for a while he felt the burden that man had hence why he cleared the debt.

• 2 weeks later...

So when is justice needed and when if forgiveness needed?  Are they mutually exclusive?  Since Jesus forgives us our eternal debt because of our sin, does He then say, "Go ahead and live as you want?"  No, but rather, "Go and sin no more" = leave the lifestyle of sin.  But what about us, when we are betrayed or someone owes us $$$ and walks away?  When is it ok to forgive the debt?  When is it ok to require justice so the debt is repaid?  For, me, I need biblical discernment to know when to forgive a debt and when to ask for justice, legally and biblically.

Q4. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, where do you see justice? Both were forgiven.

Where do you see grace? Needing more grace for deeper debt received full pardon with no demand for greater request.

Where do you see greed? In the need to address the question of who would love more.

Where do you see unforgiveness? In the need to address the question of who would love more. Thoughts of buying indulgences comes to mind.

What lessons from this parable are disciples to incorporate into their lives? I live because God answered my cry from life support in ICU. With in a few days my X-rays were the main education stop for medical trauma students on just how much damage the human body could withstand and live. 13526 days of life after seven code blues while on 60 liter on oxygen per minute I write this comment. I owe Him for every breath I have taken since. I serve Him for I owe a bebt beyond what I could ever pay. And He has never requested it. I love to serve one who so greatly served me in my time of need. Think of what He has already done fore you! You will know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 8:59 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

We see justice throughout the story in my opinion as it would have been justice for the man to be thrown into prison and have his family and his belongings sold off as that was the law. and at the end it was the ultimate justice that the unmerciful servant pay for his unforgiveness, we see grace specifically when the debts were erased. We see greed throughout the story for the man to get in that kind of debt in the first place and then again when he demanded to get his money after squandering 1000 times that of his masters. I believe every lesson from this parable we as disciples of Christ should incorporate into our lives as we everyday fall short in one area or many and the same way that God loves us and continues to forgive us we must do the same as the parable states as we will be forgiven by the father based on how we forgive our brothers. 

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, where do you see justice? Justice is seen when the king charges the unmerciful servant to prison for not having grace on the servant who owed him a little money.

Where do you see grace?

Grace was given when the king initially forgave the money owed by the unmerciful servant and let set him free.

Where do you see greed?

Greed came about when the unmerciful servant grabbed and choked the guy who owed him money. After having just been forgiven of owning the king a Uber amount of money. He turned and had the guy who owed him only a small amount thrown into prison.

In the unmerciful servant, surely he could forgive a little when he was forgiven of way owing way more.

God forgives us of so much yet we at times can’t find it in our hearts to forgive even something little. How can we expect God to forgive us when we don’t want to do the same. In order to be more like him we must learn to let go of things and have mercy on others.

• 3 months later...

It's hard to wrap my head around the "justice" I'm thinking of. Where i see it is with the first debtor after he did not reciprocate the forgiveness. The part that is hard to wrap my head around, living in this century, is how harsh the punishment was.  

The grace comes in at the same time that compassion filled the one wanting repayment. 

Greed so blinded the first debtor that he forgot the grace and forgiveness that was just given to him which produced a incredibly hard heart and unforgiveness.

Love, grace, forgiveness, compassion, mercy what a great and awesome God and Savior we serve